Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission build cost

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by Iron Outlaw, Mar 6, 2020.

1. jaflowers

jaflowers Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    Easy enough to do a part number comparison between a 2016 and 2020 truck to see what might be different....but I do understand it would be a serious expense. The Maxcare warranty on mine, and the fact it's paid for, was the single biggest reason I didn't upgrade to the new truck/transmission this year.

2. Iron Outlaw

Iron Outlaw Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Well I finally found a local shop who specializes in diesel truck transmissions. Hes going to build my 66rfe with some upgraded parts and a billet torque converter for $4500.00
    I'm taking it tomorrow. Im excited to finally get the truck running right again.

WY.Ram likes this.
  3. 68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    I was going to say throw a hell mary & put some Lucas (or another brand) stop slip in it. $4,500 sounds fair from what I have read. With the incentives they are throwing out there now I would have been more than tempted to trade it in. Almost bet money you could get an equally equipped truck for the same or lower payment.

4. Iron Outlaw

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I finally got it back. $4387 out the door. Billet converter and upgraded some internal. Upped the pressure some. Man, it's not even like the same transmission. With the latest update its holding gears way longer and not shifting near as much. Shifts smooth as butter. I never knew these transmissions could be so smooth. Before even when new it was clunky and shifted way too early.

5. EastWestHemi

EastWestHemi Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500
    Engine:
    6.4 w/4.10s
    What parts did they put into your transmission?

6. Iron Outlaw

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Not sure on brand but we did a billet convertor, line pressure booster, upgraded a bunch of stuff I dont know what it is honestly. Pistons, accumulators? He did some modifications to the valve body. He told me step by step everything he did and honestly I don't know a lot about transmissions so I just told him to go with and and paid him. I think he mentioned using sonnax parts.

wyo2track likes this.