Trouble with back up camera and tail light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Night quad cab 4 wheel drive with 5.7 that I bought new. It has never been wrecked and is garaged with 90000 miles. Ever once in a while,when I back up, the screen shows all kinds of chopped up colors. I have found that I can fix it by cutting off truck, and opening and closing tail gate. It always seems to work after that. My truck has led factory tail lights and lately when I start engine I have a message on dash that says I have a tail light out. I do not. I check it ever time. It doesn't do it all the time, just once in a while. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it? Thanks.

mullet6577

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 does the same with the camera. I've basically been blaming it on slightly loose connections and keep meaning to grab some dielectric grease to see if it helps at all but it happens so infrequently it doesn't bother me that much.
The taillight thing happens too. It's been noted around here that the high mount/3rd brake light could be the cause of the message so you might want to check that. All of my tail/brake lights work as they should even with the message and hyper blink happening on the dash so again, not something I've spent too much time trying to track down a cause. This one does seem to happen more often when there's moisture in the air during and right after a good rain.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As mentioned above, clean the connector for the tailgate, apply some dielectric grease and make sure it's fully seated.
As the the OEM LED taillights, there is a fault signal wire that reports if there a problem with the taillights. The taillight out message happens but I wouldn't say it's a common issue. Make sure the third brake light is working correctly.