TroubleShooting Electrical Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

I got a 1991 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 engine and a 241D automatic Transmission.

So I dont know nothing about electrical troubleshooting, and I'd like to learn alot more.

I don't want my truck to blow up!
Plus the ladies dont like seeing check engine lights, I think it ruins the mood.

The trouble codes I get are:
12- Battery Connection
37-look at torque converter clutch solenoid circuit
41-problem with charging system.

They don't come on all the time, I'd say these codes are with me about 50% of the time I'm cruising around town. Why aren't they on all the time??

What should I start doing to diagnose these issues? I've been told check grounds and somthing called fusible links. Where are all the links and grounds at? What do they look like?

Where can I find good electrical schematics for my truck?? There are way to many options on ebay I am confused!

How do I tell which type of ignition system I have? I think its hall effect but I am not too sure.

What is a torque converter, why does it need a solenoid, and where is it located?

Thanks for reading!! All help appreciated!!

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ebay manuals are hit and miss from what i find, mostly good. But lacking sometimes, chiltons may help some. As for the codes, sometimes one issue can cause several codes. I would start by cleaning battery terminals, then take the wire off of the alternator clean, ground that runs from the battery to wherever, engine block clean it. If you getting the idea you cant clean connections too much. Have the truck running make sure the alternator is working ie: 13.2-14.4 is good. Grounds are ends of wires mostly with an eye ring and bolt through it into the fender, fire wall, or other places. there are many of them scattered all through the truck. Under hood, dash, just everywhere. Don't stress too much on those at first. Just clean them as you find them and put back. Two of the codes are voltage related. The ECM isn't seeng good voltage from the charging system/battery. I would start with the alternator test, also load test your battery if you can. Many good videos on youtube about how to do this.

Some mechanics i like to watch, start with South main auto.

then Eric the car guy
Pine hollow diagnostics
Scanner Danner ( hes a little advanced with scopes and really in depth electrical stuffs.)
Ratchets and Wrenches ( this guy is good, I LOVE his accent and a comedian of sorts.)
Schrodinger's Box (Great explanations)

And if you just want technology explained.... Engineering Explained (very good explanations )

You could get lucky, one issue can cause several codes sometimes. Also, sometimes codes come up with other codes that don' t help with the diagnosis, thats why i try to pick out the ones that stick out to me first. IE the charging battery code. Wait to worry about that tranny code later.

OP
OP
RustyRamFan

RustyRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much!
I have a Clintons manual it is okay but lacking in torque converter schematics and doesn't show how to find out which ignition system I have.

I have had a new battery put in recently and the alternator and "voltage diodes" where tested and found to be good.

I will clean these grounds and alternator connections!
I look forward to the youtube vids too!
Thanks so much!!