Troubleshooting power locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cscottpnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I'm trying to narrow down the potential culprits for these symptoms from my 2007 3500 SLT's failing power door locks:

1. Power locks are unresponsive to door switches or keyfob. Occasionally, there's a response of the lock actuator moving very little. Not nearly enough to change the lock state.

2. When the batteries are unplugged for a while, there is 0 V at the lock actuator plugs. However, if the button is pushed (either way), the plug produces 12 V which never goes back to 0 V. The only way to return back to 0 V is to leave the batteries unplugged for a while (resetting PCM).

3. If the gauge cluster is unplugged, locks are unresponsive and 0 V at the actuator plug after pressing lock button.

What handles the logic of removing power from the locks? There seems to be some evidence that the gauge cluster plays a role in all this. Any advice on how to pursue this further?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cscottpnw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
The gauge cluster was the issue. The voltage behavior was the CAN bus. I didn't realize the truck had a signal/message bus, so I was expecting basic electrical circuits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat