Truck too tall for horse trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stefannie

Reaction score
Ok I know this is a truck forum but just curious about people's recommendations on leveling a horse trailer to the truck. I've got a stock 14 Ram 2500 and it's just a little bit taller than the trailer so it's tilted a little. Any idea on how to raise the trailer to be level? I mean if down the road I get bigger tires (and I'm not talking huge mud tires) I'm going to be in the same boat. . Lol

(Just for topic I don't need anyone bad mouthing my stupid question )

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ I was going to say that too... but, then I thought, "does he have a gooseneck trailer?" Surely he would've mentioned that. :)

A drop hitch would be the best way to go, in my opinion. You don't want to raise the trailer so much that it makes it harder for the horses/cattle/whatever to get in and out. Horses already have issues getting in/out of trailers (in general).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If it's a gooseneck you will have to lift the trailer as you would with a truck with leafs. New blocks shackles and longer u bolts.

rgroome7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the neck adjustable? On many that I have used, you can adjust the neck height of the trailer so it will accommodate your truck

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Adjustable neck would work. I saw something awhile back about a spring over conversion on the trailer to lift it up if it has leaf springs.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
What's the suspension on the trailer? If it is a spring-under-axle you may be able to do a spring-over conversion. Would take some modification but def diable by you or a trailer shop. Lots a people do it with with toy hauler trailers to gain ground clearance when towing their rigs off the beaten path. This could net you 4"-6"+ of height.