Upcoming Road Trip from Pa to Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhulsey779

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So have a planed road trip end of June to Florida and back with (2) young kids. Figured I do some mods to help out with the Tablet / Movie watching to keep the kids sane… Added in the Linkswell T-Style radio, has Netflix programmed for those movies, upgrade the sound system Pioneer upgraded speakers for better sound quality all around the cab. Also added in rear door USB ports to tablet charging/ Phone charging as well, totally a game changer in my opinion.
Any other recommendations or Road Trip essentials that I could be forgetting… I know I need Plenty of aspirin, doing straight ride down, most likely hotel it on the way back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk0c9efa5f2e1e71dce85f8b01fba5519c.jpg
6fe169e7ca58fb0f9be49ec25d7b9078.jpg
9f619fb4962d87e0bae4c0fc69ece746.jpg5450f0b96ee526f535db41983e3e4542.jpg

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just plan plenty of stops for you and the family. Get that planned in from the very beginning so it doesn't become a point of stress during the trip. Everyone needs time to stretch their legs, get oxygen in their blood (especially whoever is behind the wheel) and take care of biological necessities.

Never a bad idea to have plenty of quick-access paper towels or kleenex... somebody's gonna sneeze or spill something or depending on the age of your kids, might be sick or have an accident. Well you probably already know that plus pillows and light blankets so everyone who's not driving can nap and regulate their temperature to be comfortable.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I used to run from north jersey to Florida to visit my parents. I would leave at around 4 pm and drive through the night. Around 7 we would stop at Cracker Barrel. Had cd movies in the back for the kids. Another pit stop around 9 and the kids, would sleep till 5 or 6 am. Then for them it was only another 6 hours till we got there.

RIRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e
Stuff I have...masks, charging for 2 or more phones and a Kindle/etc. rechargeable flashlight, seat belt cutter/window emergancy tool, mints/gum, key to hitch pin, toothpick case, carmex, Kleenex, pen/pencil, notepad, snack bars, lighter, and there is probably more but it looks empty still
Ram Bins have Bungee's, cargo net, ratchet ties, 50' of poly rope, a spool of nylon twine, first aid kit, mechanic gloves, couple of red flags (for long loads), can of 'OFF', jumper cables, and a couple shop towels. The Bins do not look empty..
also added a bug out bag "B.O.B." https://realtruck.com/p/northwest-mojave-seatback-organizer/nws-st03000/
Plenty of room for blanket, towel, rain gear, multi-tool, flashlight, spare socks and t-shirt, extra phone cord, folding saw, screw/nut driver set, crescent wrench, winter gloves/hat, Schrader valves and tool, garbage bags, spare fuses, zip ties, electrical tape, walkie-talkies, compass, binoculars.....whew

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey. Totally unrelated dhulsey, but where did you get that lip spoiler for the edge of the rear tailgate? That’s pretty sweet.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Just got back from a 10 day road trip.

Things we learned, and I would suggest:

1. Toilet paper. Not all places will have restroom access, which is BS.
2. Fire Extinguisher.... just in case
3. Make sure tires are in good shape, balanced, and all fluids topped off.
4. Cash $$$...... not all places take plastic, I know... its 2021.
5. AAA maps for your route. Without cell phone coverage, your phone and vehicle maps won't do much good. Will give the kids something to keep track of also.
6. Water.... extra water.
7. Window squeegee... to clean all the bug crap off. The ones at most stations have been used to clean up a gas spill, and the water is basically mud with bugs.... ie: more water.
8. Don't be on a restricted timeline, you'll be stressed, the wife will be stressed and the kids will be stressed. All this adds up to an explosion waiting to happen... have flexibility.

Not sure if your planning to stop over night anywhere's but if your not.... you might want to rethink that. Nothing sucks more than busting your ass driving all night while the others are sleeping, get to your destination and you figuratively "hit the wall". Meanwhile everyone else is roaring to go. Get a good night rest somewhere and enjoy the adventure.

Above all.....drive safe and have fun :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I always have a Digital Camera when i travel

Cell phone images suck when it comes to accidents

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
All of the above is good advice. I also bring a 2g bucket with extra grocery bags and a lid in case someone gets sick.

I bring a ****** for emergencies
I bring a well stocked tool box with deep sockets and a breaker bar and a small hydraulic floor jack.. if you lose a tire on 95 you don't want to be there fiddling with the scissor jack and stock tire iron while folks blast by you doing 70 in the slow lane.
Pack lots of patience and build some extra time in your schedule for accidents. People are driving worse than ever during the tail end of this pandemic. When I made that run I did and I was still 2 hours off (longer).
I don't know what ages your kids are,.but mine are
Middle-late teens and I had a dual screen DVD player and they watched movies the entire way and were fine.
Snacks and water
Hopefully your spouse or girlfriend can drive some for you when you go straight through.
It's a long run, but big road trips are fun and you get to see things (south of the border is a major dump.now,.hardly any signs anymore..I used to really like those)

I always pray for safe travels and good health and all else is a bonus for us.

Enjoy the trip and time off.

OP
OP
D

dhulsey779

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey. Totally unrelated dhulsey, but where did you get that lip spoiler for the edge of the rear tailgate? That’s pretty sweet.

That’s the Air Design rear Tailgate spoiler… just gives it that extra style in my opinion… Hard to get now from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
All of the above is good advice. I also bring a 2g bucket with extra grocery bags and a lid in case someone gets sick.

I bring a ****** for emergencies
I bring a well stocked tool box with deep sockets and a breaker bar and a small hydraulic floor jack.. if you lose a tire on 95 you don't want to be there fiddling with the scissor jack and stock tire iron while folks blast by you doing 70 in the slow lane.
Pack lots of patience and build some extra time in your schedule for accidents. People are driving worse than ever during the tail end of this pandemic. When I made that run I did and I was still 2 hours off (longer).
I don't know what ages your kids are,.but mine are
Middle-late teens and I had a dual screen DVD player and they watched movies the entire way and were fine.
Snacks and water
Hopefully your spouse or girlfriend can drive some for you when you go straight through.
It's a long run, but big road trips are fun and you get to see things (south of the border is a major dump.now,.hardly any signs anymore..I used to really like those)

I always pray for safe travels and good health and all else is a bonus for us.

Enjoy the trip and time off.

Pedro say " Nice Ram" :waytogo: (South of the Boarder)

If you've never done the drive, it won't make sense :cool:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just got back from a 10 day road trip.

Things we learned, and I would suggest:

1. Toilet paper. Not all places will have restroom access, which is BS.
2. Fire Extinguisher.... just in case
3. Make sure tires are in good shape, balanced, and all fluids topped off.
4. Cash $$$...... not all places take plastic, I know... its 2021.
5. AAA maps for your route. Without cell phone coverage, your phone and vehicle maps won't do much good. Will give the kids something to keep track of also.
6. Water.... extra water.
7. Window squeegee... to clean all the bug crap off. The ones at most stations have been used to clean up a gas spill, and the water is basically mud with bugs.... ie: more water.
8. Don't be on a restricted timeline, you'll be stressed, the wife will be stressed and the kids will be stressed. All this adds up to an explosion waiting to happen... have flexibility.

Not sure if your planning to stop over night anywhere's but if your not.... you might want to rethink that. Nothing sucks more than busting your ass driving all night while the others are sleeping, get to your destination and you figuratively "hit the wall". Meanwhile everyone else is roaring to go. Get a good night rest somewhere and enjoy the adventure.

Above all.....drive safe and have fun :waytogo:
Another vote for very up to date maps that have side roads. I look through them ahead of time and highlight a couple alternate routes in advance in case traffic backs up. You might not have coverage in some areas if you are far enough away from the highway.

And with two kids, always had separate video systems with their own headphones so radio is mine.

Have a great, and safe trip! And make sure you stop at SOB! You never sausage a place. :33:

OP
OP
D

dhulsey779

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pedro say " Nice Ram" :waytogo: (South of the Boarder)

If you've never done the drive, it won't make sense :cool:

I did the drive a few times in the past. This will be the first time doing the road trip with kids…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Do your best to enjoy it as much as possible and try not to get aggravated. Stuff is going to happen. Try to just roll with it as much as you can. Easier said than done I know, but it'll make the trip go easier if you can

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Another vote for very up to date maps that have side roads. I look through them ahead of time and highlight a couple alternate routes in advance in case traffic backs up. You might not have coverage in some areas if you are far enough away from the highway.

And with two kids, always had separate video systems with their own headphones so radio is mine.

Have a great, and safe trip! And make sure you stop at SOB! You never sausage a place. :33:

Lol classic!

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
South of the border is definitely pretty cool if you never been, a lot of silly shops and a whole lot of discount fireworks if that’s your thing

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Guess the Benadryl travel days are over?

Gregory2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only advice I have is to not let the kids drink to their hearts content or you will be stopping every half hour.

Don't have to ask me how I know.