Upgrading to headers--few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm almost out of warranty, and am considering removing my exhaust manifold and upgrading to shorty headers. I just have a few questions about the (not necessarily bad) can of worms it could open.

First, I was wondering if anybody has any experience or input as to how shorty headers would perform with my stock exhaust (5.7L), vs. an upgraded aftermarket cat back system. If I run shorty headers, how important would it be to upgrade the exhaust?

On top of that, what benefit would a CAI add to these upgrades? I had one 3 Rams ago on a 2008, and I thought that was a meaningful upgrade because the intake on that truck was really closed in and did not suck much air from the front of the truck. The intake on these new Rams seem to already be a pretty decent CAI system. Doesn't seem very worth it, but figured I'd get your thoughts. If you think there's benefit to it, I'm curious what it is. Will a CAI make any big difference with shorty headers and an aftermarket cat back exhaust?

Last, with upgrades like this in mind (shorty headers, cat back exhaust, and maybe a CAI), I'm wondering how much benefit I'd get from a tuner chip. Does the new exhaust system and headers require any tuning, or will the truck's existing system work out the changes? I had a Flashpac chip and CAI on my 08, and I did notice a difference in MPG and perceived HP gains. It wasn't a lot, but it was noticeable. But I have no clue how it would work on this 2020, and frankly I wonder how it would work with this truck's software being upgraded by over the air / satellite. How does that jibe with a tune? Going to eventually put 35" tires when these stock 33" wear out, so it'd be nice to be able to adjust the speedometer at a minimum.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm almost out of warranty, and am considering removing my exhaust manifold and upgrading to shorty headers. I just have a few questions about the (not necessarily bad) can of worms it could open.

First, I was wondering if anybody has any experience or input as to how shorty headers would perform with my stock exhaust (5.7L), vs. an upgraded aftermarket cat back system. If I run shorty headers, how important would it be to upgrade the exhaust?

On top of that, what benefit would a CAI add to these upgrades? I had one 3 Rams ago on a 2008, and I thought that was a meaningful upgrade because the intake on that truck was really closed in and did not suck much air from the front of the truck. The intake on these new Rams seem to already be a pretty decent CAI system. Doesn't seem very worth it, but figured I'd get your thoughts. If you think there's benefit to it, I'm curious what it is. Will a CAI make any big difference with shorty headers and an aftermarket cat back exhaust?

Last, with upgrades like this in mind (shorty headers, cat back exhaust, and maybe a CAI), I'm wondering how much benefit I'd get from a tuner chip. Does the new exhaust system and headers require any tuning, or will the truck's existing system work out the changes? I had a Flashpac chip and CAI on my 08, and I did notice a difference in MPG and perceived HP gains. It wasn't a lot, but it was noticeable. But I have no clue how it would work on this 2020, and frankly I wonder how it would work with this truck's software being upgraded by over the air / satellite. How does that jibe with a tune? Going to eventually put 35" tires when these stock 33" wear out, so it'd be nice to be able to adjust the speedometer at a minimum.
Good evening Lamarsh.

So to break this down, starting with the shorty headers. Don't cheap out, go for something quality like JBA or Kooks if you can afford them. Other cheaper brands have a terrible rep for cracking. As for performance you will be perfectly fine with the rest of your system being stock. Shorties themselves won't really provide any additional gain either, you upgrade more or less for the peace of mind of no more snapped bolts/warping manifolds.

Moving onto the intake. The 5.7 hemi stock intake from 2009-2022 Rams is already a CAI and a pretty good one at that. Aftermarket CAI's are just a complete waste of money and provide literally 0 gain. EXCEPT Vararam but again that's nearly a $400 bill for gains you'd realistically never notice/experience in daily driving.

Last thing, with tuning it's generally best to get a proper custom tune setup first and then have it updated as you add in aftermarket parts. With a simple CAI and shorty headers if you did decide to go that route though wouldn't require a tuner. However over the last few years with Covid I have heard the big names that supply custom tunes to Ram owners have stopped accepting new customers (Not sure if that's still the case now).

EvilTwin v2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I, too, am considering adding headers to my stock cat back…or maybe with a semi quiet cat back option. I had a fulle AFE long tube header and cat back on my 4th Gen and it was annoying on the highway and my neighbors didn’t appreciate the cold starts.

I already went with the Vararam with a Moes throttle body, and it was a noticeable gain. Not to mention, it looks great!

72BD2055-6229-42BD-AA5C-CCF74DECA700.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put it this way, If the parts you bolt on dont require a custom tune, Its a waste of money. The only exception is shorty headers as they address all the issues that come with the garbage manifolds. If you do shorties, you can keep everything else stock witch is a bonus. But I would still get a custom tune and disable that MDS garbage.

Don't waste any money on CAI or ported TB on that 5.7L intake. Save that money and do a 6.4L Intake swap instead, This unfortunately requires a custom tune but its the easiest, and cheapest way to get HP gains. I would pair that with LTs and Exhaust.

Last edited:

Okie345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No trying to jack this thread but Is the vararam still good in offroad conditions? Dusty roads etc. I'm looking at getting jba longtubes soon.