Vibration while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
2002 Ram 1500 QC 4.7L Auto 4x2

While accelerating, I am getting a very noticeable vibration. When cruising at a constant speed, smooth w/o vibration, only happens during acceleration. Started happening maybe 2 weeks ago, but today it felt much worse. It feels like it's right under my feet, but I am leaning towards it being a rear end issue. Any thoughts on what it could be?

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
There is kind of alot going on here...it could be trans, diff, driveline, tires, engine,etc. We need more specifics...
-does it occur at the same speed every time ? ie-45-50mph ?
-do you see a mil?

have you lifted the truck into the air and put on jack stands and started looking around for worn parts ? There are alot of things that can cause this ...

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Turns out, it was the Rack & Pinion Steering that went out. Here's a list of what they replaced that cost me $3k.

Rack & Pinion
Power Steering Pump
Water Pump
Dr. Tie Rod End
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Change
Power Steering Fluid
Coolant
Alignment

I honestly forgot that I created this post because I had to work Mon & Tue. I dropped it off at the shop on Sunday night.

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Turns out, it was the Rack & Pinion Steering that went out. Here's a list of what they replaced that cost me $3k.

Rack & Pinion
Power Steering Pump
Water Pump
Dr. Tie Rod End
Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Change
Power Steering Fluid
Coolant
Alignment

I honestly forgot that I created this post because I had to work Mon & Tue. I dropped it off at the shop on Sunday night.
Did the shop say what caused the vibration ? WP or PS pump ?

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
Did the shop say what caused the vibration ? WP or PS pump ?

It was the combination of the Rack and Tie Rod end that caused all of the vibration. And for future reference, while accelerating from 0-20 mph, almost no vibration. 20-35 mph noticeable vibration and 35 mph & up, a lot of hard vibration. Not noticed in the steering wheel, felt it under my feet at the peddles, and only when accelerating. No vibration when at a consistent, or cruse controlled, speed.

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
It was the combination of the Rack and Tie Rod end that caused all of the vibration. And for future reference, while accelerating from 0-20 mph, almost no vibration. 20-35 mph noticeable vibration and 35 mph & up, a lot of hard vibration. Not noticed in the steering wheel, felt it under my feet at the peddles, and only when accelerating. No vibration when at a consistent, or cruse controlled, speed.
Interesting, well glad you got it all figured out!

czervika

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2002 Ram 1500 QC 4.7L Auto 4x2

While accelerating, I am getting a very noticeable vibration. When cruising at a constant speed, smooth w/o vibration, only happens during acceleration. Started happening maybe 2 weeks ago, but today it felt much worse. It feels like it's right under my feet, but I am leaning towards it being a rear end issue. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Did it smooth out right away or did it take some time? I have a very similar issue, where I get vibration after 60 or so, at about 75 it's constant, if I set cruise at 75 after about a mile the vibration goes away. 80+ the vibration goes away as I'm accelerating. Interestingly though, it comes back on deceleration or change of speed. Once I'm constant for a mile or so it smooths out.

I replaced u-joints already.

I was planning on doing tie rods but this may make that happen faster.

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was.

OP
OP
mwclarksr

mwclarksr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L - 287cid
The problem went away after getting everything fixed. I still need to replace the leaf springs as one leaf is broken and just hanging. I'll take a picture of the spring today and upload it. Currently replacing hoses from another post I made.