Weight Distribution Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You drive a little 1500 but know about towing with the 2500? You don't know much.

you only ASSume I've only ever have drove and towed anything with a 1500. Maybe it's not my only vehicle?
Last time I checked and unbeknownst to you by your comment, the laws of towing a tag along are the same behind any vehicle. You can try to prove that one wrong but there probably at least 10 links to video that on this forum showing why it's needed.
Ok.. wasted enough of my time with your nonsense..

Bottomfeeder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You probably don't want to use the airbags at the same time as your WDH, I know there is lots of discussion about this, but if the WDH is set up properly you have no need for the airbags
If you use the airbags after the trailer is hooked up you are taking the pressure off the WDH, that pressure is what gives you both the sway control and the weight distribution.

Here is what fastway trailers engineers said when asked if you can use the airbags in conjunction with the WDH.

"Raising it to get back to base height after the weight distribution hitch is engaged will do two things that we don't want. It will add weight to the tongue and reduce braking control and stability at the front of your tow vehicle (counteracting what the weight distribution/sway control will do). Second, it will reduce tension in the WD/sway control hitch, not giving you all of the benefits of sway control. Once you set up the WD hitch, even if there is a little bit of sag, I would leave it as is!

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You probably don't want to use the airbags at the same time as your WDH, I know there is lots of discussion about this, but if the WDH is set up properly you have no need for the airbags
If you use the airbags after the trailer is hooked up you are taking the pressure off the WDH, that pressure is what gives you both the sway control and the weight distribution.

Here is what fastway trailers engineers said when asked if you can use the airbags in conjunction with the WDH.

"Raising it to get back to base height after the weight distribution hitch is engaged will do two things that we don't want. It will add weight to the tongue and reduce braking control and stability at the front of your tow vehicle (counteracting what the weight distribution/sway control will do). Second, it will reduce tension in the WD/sway control hitch, not giving you all of the benefits of sway control. Once you set up the WD hitch, even if there is a little bit of sag, I would leave it as is!
Finally someone who I can agree with! I've been saying this for years. You do not need air bags, all they do is hide (and compound) weight problems where a WDH will actually help with them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

The engineers are correct if you try to level the truck off after setting the WDH.

You set up the WDH after setting the airbags inflation pressure. Helper air bags are just like using a firmer springs in the rear only you can adjust the firmness.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
because the laws of physics applies to 2500/3500 and he's not stupid to think otherwise.

Exactly. The truck is a short bed with the gas engine so it doesn't have the heavy front end and longer lever that a lot of other 2500/3500s benefit from.

What I meant with testing different setups was performing controlled handling tests, grade changes and similar to show how different spring bars and good or bad adjustments affect the combination.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son has an 8000lb wet camper (about 30' tip to tip). I picked it up from the dealer with my 2013 1500 QC and towed it 200 miles to where he was. It was brand new and completely empty and dry weight was listed as 6500 so it probably wasn't quite 8000 on that trip. It towed good but had slight sway when a semi would pass me. He then bought a 2018 2500 6.4 CC and towed it 200 miles home then 1500 miles to North Dakota. He said it pulled great but still swayed a little when semi's passed him. He has a Centerline Husky TS WDH. My opinion, if you are towing a 6000lb flat trailer you probably could get away without a WDH/sway control but if it's a camper or something with large windage area then I would recommend it even with a 2500.

Bottomfeeder

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The engineers are correct if you try to level the truck off after setting the WDH.

You set up the WDH after setting the airbags inflation pressure. Helper air bags are just like using a firmer springs in the rear only you can adjust the firmness.

That is interesting!...It would work if set up as you described, before I got my 6.4 2500 I had a '17 Ecodiesel and I tow a 30' travel trailer, I did have an airlift 1000 on it, I never used it with the trailer but got it for hauling heavy loads in the bed.

I set the Equalizer WDH without it, got back to level with the hitch alone and the ride was fine, I don't think I would like a firmer ride.
I guess i'm just wondering why you would want to use the airbag system with a WDH when it really isn't necessary, it seems like it is one more step where if not used properly as you described, it can defeat the purpose of the hitch.

Thanks for the explanation.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You drive a little 1500 but know about towing with the 2500? You don't know much.

Remind me not to drive near this guy.

I see people pulling campers more often than I'd like without a WDH setup. It is, to put it simply, dangerous and reckless. Sure, you may never have a problem, but there is a distinct probability that you WILL have a problem someday, and that someone will be seriously injured because of your recklessness.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Remind me not to drive near this guy.

I see people pulling campers more often than I'd like without a WDH setup. It is, to put it simply, dangerous and reckless. Sure, you may never have a problem, but there is a distinct probability that you WILL have a problem someday, and that someone will be seriously injured because of your recklessness.

OK guys. My 2500 pulls my 8800# bumper pull (with drop down hitch) TT just fine. Another 1500 in the back of the truck. Squat is 1". 60K towing this setup with this truck. Never a problem even in 70mph cross winds. (empty semi's blowing over in front and back of us and no where to get off the road for miles) Everybody's an expert here but my towing days go back to the early 70's with everything from semi's to heavy equipment. My initial response concerned the question about towing a light trailer with a 2500. I take safety very seriously and am not a hazard on the roadways. If your panties are in a bunch that is your problem.

NikNak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok, let me chime in... Last month I towed 6,500 pounds 2,100 miles (twice).

1. 2017 Ram 1500 w/HEMI, 20” tires & “Weigh Safe” hitch.
2. Air-Lift 1000HD air bags with 40# inflated
2. Uhaul trailer with 6,200 & 6,800 pounds towed(CAT scale verified).
3. Tongue weight 900#
4. Did not use weight distribution hitch.
5. Front axle was 2650# w/o me in the truck. (Unloaded was a tad heavier ,#2750 on the front).
6. Depending on quality of the road and day/night, speed varied from 65-80mph.
7. There was zero wig-wag or porpoising.
8. I was maxed out on GVWR and kinda(+2200#?) over U-Haul’s max trailer weight but all went well.
9. My buddy’s 3” lifted 2004 Ram 3500 needed the WDH for the 12,000# trailer load he hauled. (25,000# & 25,150# GVWR CAT scale verified).
We did two 2,100 mile trips just last month.

In my opinion, WDH isn’t needed for Ram 1500 but it could help to load the front end a bit. I definitely would not use AirLift bags if I had an WDH.

A282BEAA-575E-46B7-BE3C-13ADE84A8F09.jpeg

573C9A84-52B4-4BAF-9DF0-1B79F01535D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I think those u haul trailers are set up to have heavy tongue weight (percentage), thereby minimizing sway, which doesn't really translate to most travel trailers or even other types of trailers out there. That U haul trailer looks to have a long tongue and the wheels are set pretty far back. This is probably a great move on U haul's part, for safety, with the variety of drivers and vehicles that use their trailers.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Uhaul is not a good comparison to a travel trailer. It isn't near as tall or long. After towing my TT only once in high crosswinds WITH my WDH(30+ MPH sustained with higher gusts), I would never go without it!. It was no fun and there were a couple times it started to sway but it pretty quickly was stopped by the WDH.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
All mfd have U tube video,
Yes they sell they suffer,
$300~500 didn’t get you much
In hospital, or at Lawer’s office,

By safe enjoy your camping,

Dubbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Please excuse my ignorance .... how does WD distribute weight when it all converges on the hitch receiver?

JohnnyOOO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WDH is a WINNER and IMHO a must if you are towing heavy or have excess tongue weight because of how you loaded your trailer. Airbags are useless cosmetic devices, if you have too much weight on your rear axle the airbags do nothing to redistribute the weight to your forward wheels. A WDH set up properly will let you "throw" weight more forward to your front wheels. I just towed 9.5K lb with my 1500 Ram 5.7 Hemi and the WDH was a godsend. Don't buy a cheap one, they are made with Chinese parts and will break quickly under heavy loads. I did my homework and got made in USA Equalizer Hitch for about $650 and felt it was some of the best money I have ever spent. I sold the 1 use trailer and hitch at the end of the move, gave the buyer lessons on the hitch, and he called later to let me know how happy he is with the setup!

Rod H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do the 10k rated hitch, because you can never have too much, but you can often wind up with not-enough.

I mean, they don't make a trailer full of toilet paper big enough that it will overload your GVWR, but if you inherit a travel trailer of unknown size from your grandparents and you absolutely have to drag it home...

Rod H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very good statement. If needed you can tighten the springs more or less as needed but with a lower rated one you can only go up so much. I have had four Travel Trailers and have over rated distribition hitches with no problems. Just find the sweet spot.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That Uhaul is not a good comparison to a travel trailer. It isn't near as tall or long. After towing my TT only once in high crosswinds WITH my WDH(30+ MPH sustained with higher gusts), I would never go without it!. It was no fun and there were a couple times it started to sway but it pretty quickly was stopped by the WDH.
Sorry but a WDH has nothing to do with sway unless it also has anti-sway bars attatched to it. nti-sway bars that will mostly get rid of sway.