What brand for tensioner/belt and idler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I've been getting a random squeak on my 2018 Laramie and its been hard to pin down (seems to happen when its colder out but not consistent). I only have 60k on my 5.7 hemi but all factory. I was going to start getting parts together for the spring as I plan to do a B&M deep pan on my 8spd and a caulk bypass. What brand or kit do you recommend for a new tensioner, idler and belt? I have had good and bad with Delco and gates in the past on different applications but doesn't seem like there is a lot to choose from reputable brands. Once the weather warms up I'm going to inspect and see if I can isolate the noise since it didn't seem change with engine RPM. I hope its not a fan clutch or the water pump.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some reading for you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've been getting a random squeak on my 2018 Laramie and its been hard to pin down (seems to happen when its colder out but not consistent). I only have 60k on my 5.7 hemi but all factory. I was going to start getting parts together for the spring as I plan to do a B&M deep pan on my 8spd and a caulk bypass. What brand or kit do you recommend for a new tensioner, idler and belt? I have had good and bad with Delco and gates in the past on different applications but doesn't seem like there is a lot to choose from reputable brands. Once the weather warms up I'm going to inspect and see if I can isolate the noise since it didn't seem change with engine RPM. I hope its not a fan clutch or the water pump.
I'd go with the PPE pan over the B&M pan.It has an easier to find filter,and re-uses the factory O-ring gasket.No leak prone cork gasket like the B&M uses.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I'd go with the PPE pan over the B&M pan.It has an easier to find filter,and re-uses the factory O-ring gasket.No leak prone cork gasket like the B&M uses.

Already got the pan and extra filters. I can get a rubber style gasket or I heard you can use the factory style.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Some reading for you.

Doesn’t tell me much. Most don’t change them for 100k+ but there factory batteries last more than 3 yrs and the 8hp70 has a lifetime fluid factory filled lol. My battery had to be replaced in 3 years and im def getting some noise every now and then on the front of the engine. Im also not the kind of guy who replaces an idler and not the tensioner or belt. Just saying, 60k or 6 years I’m not gona cry over $80 in parts if it doesn’t leave me stranded.

kirk35

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD Tradesman
I've had no problems with Gates belts. Tensioners have been hit or miss, I wound up changing bearings in my GTO idler pulley and it's outlasted the aftermarket idlers I've tried.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I've had no problems with Gates belts. Tensioners have been hit or miss, I wound up changing bearings in my GTO idler pulley and it's outlasted the aftermarket idlers I've tried.
What bearings did you go with and where did you buy from?

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ended up getting a mechanics stethoscope bc it’s prob one of the only tools I don’t have lol. Everything is dead quiet except the tensioner. When I tried listening of course the engine was quiet but I could def hear a difference between the tensioner vs idler/waterpump/alt. I’m gona get a new tensioner and idler and keep the idler for a rainy day.

Fyi I found an eBay seller selling the replacement filters for the B&M deep pan for $2 shipped. I got two for $4 and they are transtar brand and have the same markings as the one that came with my new pan.

RT1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont know if they have fixed it in later years but on my 2011 1500 5.7 I changed belt, tensioner, and idler. Immediately had a random squeak. I took it to a local shop who found a chrysler service bulletin that the engine pulleys could be slightly misaligned from factory. Bulletin stated the mopar belt compensated for the missalignment. I changed the belt to the mopar and never had the squeak again.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I dont know if they have fixed it in later years but on my 2011 1500 5.7 I changed belt, tensioner, and idler. Immediately had a random squeak. I took it to a local shop who found a chrysler service bulletin that the engine pulleys could be slightly misaligned from factory. Bulletin stated the mopar belt compensated for the missalignment. I changed the belt to the mopar and never had the squeak again.
I had and issue like that on another car and it was a new gates belt. I verified pulley alignment and it wasn't far off if at all (but it was a hot rod so it was pieced together). Had to get a gatorback aka continential Elite belt and boom no squeal.

This however is not belt related as I did spray water and got nothing. I did that with the other belt above and it quieted down so I knew it was the belt.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes on both!
Not sure about idlers being used on these, but every time I find it possible, I carefully remove the bearing seal and add a bit of grease. Even new bearings have a very stingy amount of grease in them. The manufacturers claim it is a precise amount and adding any more will cause problems when they heat up. Pooh! Use a quality grease and don't go too crazy.
In my profession, I have replaced hundreds, if not thousands of belts. Gates were always my choice. Of course the Goodyear Gatorback serpentine are pretty impressive if you can find them.