What Brand are these Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clarks Customs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am tearing down a 2011 RAM with 5.7 Hemi to replace a camshaft and lifters. The previous owner had the truck in an Indi shop for repairs. They replaced all of the lifters, push rods, and rocker assemblies on the right bank. They did NOT replace the camshaft which was the root cause of the problem.....don't know why!
Anyway, I removed the recently installed lifters and found damage to the #8 exhaust roller. (See pic of intake and exhaust lifters) If you have worked on any roller lifters, you can see the problem here. I am also posting a couple of pics of the lifter part# stamped on the side of these lifters. My question is; Can anyone identify who the manufacturer is by these part numbers?
101-001 M8 1708
101-020 M8 1708

I also pulled the lifters from the Left bank. I can't seem to identify these lifters as OEM parts via Moparparts.com. I could use some help identifying these also. Here are the stampings on the lifters from the Left bank:
(See pics)
- 573BB A 04748 330103 - MDS
- 572AE A 04748 330103 - Non MDS

Attachments

• OEM_MDS Lifter - Left Bank.jpg
    OEM_MDS Lifter - Left Bank.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 13
  • OEM_Non-MDS Lifter - Left Bank-2.jpg.jpg
    OEM_Non-MDS Lifter - Left Bank-2.jpg.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Aftermarket Lifter.jpg
    Aftermarket Lifter.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Aftermarket Lifter-1.jpg
    Aftermarket Lifter-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Clarks Customs

Clarks Customs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

aszumilo, Thank you. I had no clue about these lifter numbers. These were the lifters that I removed from my Ram after purchasing from an individual. He took the truck to a shop to fix a miss on cyl 6 & 8. The engine codes were P0306 and P0308 among a few others. The shop replaced many parts but never diagnosed it with a bad camshaft. In the end, the customer spent around $3600 with this shop which never fixed the problem. The customer put the truck on FB marketplace and I purchased the truck for a steal! Once I figured out that the camshaft was the issue, I pulled the 5.7 Hemi, completely disassembled it, and rebuilt the engine. The lifters are like new, but I did not want to take a chance on an aftermarket lifter for this build.​

aszumilo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking up these lifters, they appear to be factory

- 573BB A 04748 330103 - MDS
- 572AE A 04748 330103 - Non MDS

the 573BB and 572AE are the last part of the part number. They appear to be earlier revisions.

I found these part numbers
53021573BC
53021572AF

OP
OP
Clarks Customs

Clarks Customs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OEM lifter numbers installed on this build are as follows:
Front: 5038785AD
Rear: 5038786AD
Camshaft installed: Melling #1411 (OEM Specs)
Oil Pump installed: Mopar #68195993AD (This is the SRT Hi-Volume pump)
We decided not to use the OEM camshaft because of the history of premature failures. We also do NOT see the MDS System contributing to these camshaft/lifter failures since the failures occur on non-MDS camshaft lobes and lifters.
The Gen 4 camshaft failures that I have seen have led me to the following conclusions:
1.) Early Gen 4 camshafts have metallurgy issues due to a poor hardening process.
2.) Poor oil distribution to the rear lifters.
3.) Poor customer maintenance; (Frequency between oil changes)
4.) Extended periods of engine idle time with the engine RPM below 600 RPM.

Three of the above issues are controllable by the engine builder. The only issue left to chance is the customer-related maintenance issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The OEM lifter numbers installed on this build are as follows:
Front: 5038785AD
Rear: 5038786AD
Camshaft installed: Melling #1411 (OEM Specs)
Oil Pump installed: Mopar #68195993AD (This is the SRT Hi-Volume pump)
We decided not to use the OEM camshaft because of the history of premature failures. We also do NOT see the MDS System contributing to these camshaft/lifter failures since the failures occur on non-MDS camshaft lobes and lifters.
The Gen 4 camshaft failures that I have seen have led me to the following conclusions:
1.) Early Gen 4 camshafts have metallurgy issues due to a poor hardening process.
2.) Poor oil distribution to the rear lifters.
3.) Poor customer maintenance; (Frequency between oil changes)
4.) Extended periods of engine idle time with the engine RPM below 600 RPM.

Three of the above issues are controllable by the engine builder. The only issue left to chance is the customer-related maintenance issue.
If you install the stock bypass spring in your hellcat / srt pump,it should bypass any oil pressure codes you might get