"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In the 4th gen forum there is a thread "What DON'T you like about your RAM?". I haven't seen one here on the DT forum (maybe there is nothing anyone doesn't like yet???!). So rather than starting a random thread (well, I did, but I expect it can be closed if it's suitable), did I just miss it? If not, maybe this can be the start.

Mind you, it's not like I hate it. Mostly love it. But there are a few so far (after just 3 days of ownership). I won't post even the most minor one unless/until I find there's NOT another thread already going.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So far my biggest disappointment is the lack of rear underseat storage and a flat floor above it.

I understand that the limited has the underseat storage, but it was not even an option on the Laramie.

I've seen people say it's because the actual floor is flat now. But it's not. Sure, there's no hump, but it's far from flat. AND the seat base blocks part of the opening, making it difficult to load larger boxes - even if they fit on the floor you can't just set them on the edge and slide them over.

Further to my point, in my '15 I could leave stuff in the storage bins (and even under the fold-flat floor) and STILL have a flat floor to put stuff on. It effectively gave you almost double the space to store stuff.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
So far my biggest disappointment is the lack of rear underseat storage and a flat floor above it.

I understand that the limited has the underseat storage, but it was not even an option on the Laramie.

I've seen people say it's because the actual floor is flat now. But it's not. Sure, there's no hump, but it's far from flat. AND the seat base blocks part of the opening, making it difficult to load larger boxes - even if they fit on the floor you can't just set them on the edge and slide them over.

Further to my point, in my '15 I could leave stuff in the storage bins (and even under the fold-flat floor) and STILL have a flat floor to put stuff on. It effectively gave you almost double the space to store stuff.
Under seat storage is indeed available on the Laramie. I’ve got it in my Lone Star. On the Laramie it comes with the Level 2 equipmet package. Otherwise, it’s stand alone option. Cost $125.00. I think it can be a dealer add on if you want it.

Disappointed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with both of these. The storage in the mega cab falls short in a big way. Ram box is AWESOME except the the painted exterior panel keeps coming off on both sides. The insulation under the hood is starting to sag . 4500 miles on the truck. Still love driving this 2500 though

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Under seat storage is indeed available on the Laramie. I’ve got it in my Lone Star. On the Laramie it comes with the Level 2 equipmet package. Otherwise, it’s stand alone option. Cost $125.00. I think it can be a dealer add on if you want it.

I was not able to get the Level 2 package (conflict of interests) and I did not see it as a stand-alone or I would have ordered it. Does it have the fold-flat floor too?

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just found another shortcoming. Turns out I have the Uconnect 4, not 4C. As far as I can tell the only way you can get the 4C is as a 4C NAV, and I wasn't paying an extra $800 for a nav system that I have to pay a couple hundred dollars a year to keep updated.

On my '15 you could use the Uconnect app to remotely lock/unlock the doors, start it, etc. Not possible on this truck.

OTOH, CarPlay is a big plus. Too bad it doesn't work via BT.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I was not able to get the Level 2 package (conflict of interests) and I did not see it as a stand-alone or I would have ordered it. Does it have the fold-flat floor too?

No. Since there is no driveline hump the rear floor is flat. The storage is a folding barrier to keep “stuff” from rolling out from under the seats. 8E721A31-07CE-4A1B-B2F8-A9AA417710FE.jpegView attachment 187630 View attachment 187630

91CF70F7-B69C-40F7-9ECC-2C928A221DA1.jpeg

6C144242-5080-46F2-89CB-AD83CF062D4B.jpeg

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just traded in my 2010 F150 Lariat and leased a 2019 big horn crew cab What I dont like compared to the F150 that I'll have to get used to.
*Truck not as wide as my f150 I had
*smaller bed
*bed not as deep
*inside not as big as the f150
*smaller wheels 18" and not the 20's I had.
*ram sits lower than my f150.

It's a very beautiful truck but feels less of a truck compared to what I had.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The flat floor is one of the primary reasons I traded in my Titan, which was the only affordable version of a (nearly) flat floor for my dogs. The old Ram "flat floor" was a fold down piece of plastic that was too flimsy and slippery for my 100 pound dogs, and the storage bin was built into the floor. This version is light years better.

What don't I like: I'm not a huge fan of the way the tow mirrors look, and that they don't apparently heat or fold in (power). My Titan had heated mirrors and that was worthwhile in the winter. Driver's side could use a dead pedal. When I open the door after it's been raining a blob of water from the rain rails always lands right where my head is.

Minor stuff, though. I love the truck overall :)

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No. Since there is no driveline hump the rear floor is flat. The storage is a folding barrier to keep “stuff” from rolling out from under the seats. View attachment 187629View attachment 187630 View attachment 187630

View attachment 187635

View attachment 187636

Definitely not available on the 20 Laramie, and apparently not on the Big Horn either.

The 4th Gen fold flat gave you the entire space from folded up back seat to the back of the front seat as a beautiful flat space. Like this:
img_0154.jpg

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The old Ram "flat floor" was a fold down piece of plastic that was too flimsy and slippery for my 100 pound dogs, and the storage bin was built into the floor.

The one in my '15 was covered with carpet-like material and would support me fine (200+).

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Just traded in my 2010 F150 Lariat and leased a 2019 big horn crew cab What I dont like compared to the F150 that I'll have to get used to.
*Truck not as wide as my f150 I had
*smaller bed
*bed not as deep
*inside not as big as the f150
*smaller wheels 18" and not the 20's I had.
*ram sits lower than my f150.

It's a very beautiful truck but feels less of a truck compared to what I had.

I find just the opposite...I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Lone Star/Big Horn and have factory 20” wheels, bed depth is 21.5 versus Ford’s 21.4, width of 2019 Ram is 84.1” versus 79.9” for the Ford and I can go on...you might want to check specs as the Ford fails to measure up in every one of the items mentioned in your post.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Definitely not available on the 20 Laramie, and apparently not on the Big Horn either.

The 4th Gen fold flat gave you the entire space from folded up back seat to the back of the front seat as a beautiful flat space. Like this:
img_0154.jpg
Crew cab vs Quad Cab. Mine is a Crew. Completely different in regards to anything behind the front seats.

Jaybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find just the opposite...I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Lone Star/Big Horn and have factory 20” wheels, bed depth is 21.5 versus Ford’s 21.4, width of 2019 Ram is 84.1” versus 79.9” for the Ford and I can go on...you might want to check specs as the Ford fails to measure up in every one of the items mentioned in your post.

Wish I had the factory 20" wheels but mine came with 18's. The one I was going to get did but they found another truck in the lot that had the bed utility group. As I wanted a spray in liner. Plus side steps i needed for my 4 and 6 yr old. The one i was originally settling on didnt have those 2 things I needed. Nor the fact did any of their inventory have bed liners except 1 I saw with a drop in liner. My bed depth was a 22.4 on the Lariat F150 with a 6.5ft bed. Were you comparing to the right year? When I googled for the exterior body width it did say 78.9 but that just cant be right. Many coworkers have Dode rams and when we all park side by side when I had my Lariat. You can absolutely see my truck body was much wider. Plus when I'm in it it feels not as big. I can also reach the middle windshield easily on the ram and my f150 I couldn't. So that is baffling right now with the number I googled to find on that. My truck does sit lower to the ground. Obviously I'm guessing because it has 18" wheels and not 20's?. When im sitting at a light next to a suv we are sitting at same level basically whereas in my f150 i was much higher and looked down into an SUV. I did have new struts put on my F150 as 1 was cracked, that gave it another 2" lift too however.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
The flat floor is one of the primary reasons I traded in my Titan, which was the only affordable version of a (nearly) flat floor for my dogs. The old Ram "flat floor" was a fold down piece of plastic that was too flimsy and slippery for my 100 pound dogs, and the storage bin was built into the floor. This version is light years better.

What don't I like: I'm not a huge fan of the way the tow mirrors look, and that they don't apparently heat or fold in (power). My Titan had heated mirrors and that was worthwhile in the winter. Driver's side could use a dead pedal. When I open the door after it's been raining a blob of water from the rain rails always lands right where my head is.

Minor stuff, though. I love the truck overall :)

I have a laramie and the tow mirrors are heated but manual fold..not sure if that is part of a pkg or not.