What to look for when buying a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drifter27

Reaction score
I've decided I need a new truck. I have one now that gets me to work and the store just fine but it won't continue to let me abuse it much longer. I'm looking for something that is capable of driving around town should I need it to but also for hauling the most firewood, gravel, dirt, etc that it can. My opinion, which could very well be wrong, is that a 1 ton diesel srw truck with a long bed is what would suit me best. My question is what kind of trailer would best suit that kind of use? Am I going to have any capacity in the bed left if I get a bumper pull? Is a gooseneck worth the extra cost? I'm thinking of a dump bed trailer but not sure how to shop for one. For what it's worth I have a class a cdl if oaw is a factor. Thanks

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
How much of your money can I spend?
Really though you can not beat a tandem axle dump trailer. Whether its 6x12 or 7x16 you'll be glad to have it. The issue now is they shot way up in price in the last 3 yrs so you'll have to shop around.
Having a dump trailer makes it easier to own a short bed truck that may suit you better for around town and parking.

OP
OP
D

Drifter27

Reaction score
What size and weight trailer would that be? And how dumb of a question is asking if a bumper pull trailer could get close to the same amount moved?

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont have the exact numbers in front of me, but the diesel has a lower payload rating than the 6.4. As far as dump trailers go there are a couple of more important things to consider (there's more than that, but these topped the list for me) . The trailers total weight rating,and it's actual weight. I looked for a trailer that weighed more than its competitors did, a clue its better built using heavier gauge steel. The second is the ram/lift assembly. A scissor style vs a straight ram is stronger and more stable. Mine is a bumper pull rated at 10k and weighs 3500, so the payload is 6500. Other things would be battery/pump location ( some put theirs under the bed and that sucks when the battery dies), electric vs surge brakes (and if electric 1 or both axles), walk on fenders....

OP
OP
D

Drifter27

Reaction score
I hadn't considered types of lift or battery location but thats good information. As far as trailer weight goes is there a rule of thumb as to how much of that is going onto the truck?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I hadn't considered types of lift or battery location but thats good information. As far as trailer weight goes is there a rule of thumb as to how much of that is going onto the truck?
Tongue weight on the truck should be 10-15% is usually the norm for bumper pull trailers. My brother bought a used 14ft high side dump trailer. He paid $4k for it. It works, but is pretty rusty and needs some minor things taken care on it.

Going to replace the tail lights on it and the clevis hooks for the safety chains as they're messed up, and the break away cable which is not there. It has the battery and hydraulics on the tongue frame in a box. It has the scissor style lift.

I haven't looked or checked the GVWR of it, I honestly don't even know the make or model but it does have ramps for it and a "tarp" on a roll up. Easily worth the $4k he paid for it.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Wow 10 or 15%? I was thinking half, thats a lot better
Yah, so if you have a 5000 lbs. gross weight with a trailer, you should have between 500 to 750lbs of tongue weight.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I don’t understand the use of your trailer if you are choosing a truck to haul everything. I’m sorry if that comes off rude I just don’t understand what your intended use of the trailer to be? If you’re planning on hauling gravel and firewood in the trailer and in your truck then a dump trailer of sort would be the best. If you need it to haul building material (lumber metal ect) a flat bed would be better. A honest good all around would be something in the 20 ft range as wide as you can get it with pocket stakes on it so you can add sides. With a 1 ton, payload won’t be a issue get a trailer with atleast 5200lb axles preferably 7ks so you can haul heavy equipment if you want.

OP
OP
D

Drifter27

Reaction score
I don’t understand the use of your trailer if you are choosing a truck to haul everything. I’m sorry if that comes off rude I just don’t understand what your intended use of the trailer to be? If you’re planning on hauling gravel and firewood in the trailer and in your truck then a dump trailer of sort would be the best. If you need it to haul building material (lumber metal ect) a flat bed would be better. A honest good all around would be something in the 20 ft range as wide as you can get it with pocket stakes on it so you can add sides. With a 1 ton, payload won’t be a issue get a trailer with atleast 5200lb axles preferably 7ks so you can haul heavy equipment if you want.
I've read a lot about how you can overload the payload but still be well under towing cap. I dont want to get something that won't do what I need it to do and pull a trailer full of firewood is what I need it to do. The trailer will get used for other things but that is requirement number 1

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've read a lot about how you can overload the payload but still be well under towing cap. I dont want to get something that won't do what I need it to do and pull a trailer full of firewood is what I need it to do. The trailer will get used for other things but that is requirement number 1
You need to determine the exact maximum weight you plan on adding to the truck including accessories, people, gear, and your material or maximum trailer tongue weight. That will ensure you get the right truck. If you provide those numbers, you will get much more helpful responses. For example, my original 1500 served me fine but then I wanted a larger trailer and towed tractors, etc. and after doing the math I found a 2500 was more than sufficient. Maybe I move to a 3500 or 4500 near retirement as I may full-time with a larger 5th wheel, but will do the math then. Good luck.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
With a 1 ton diesel your going to have a hard time overloading your payload with a bumper pull. You’re going to have a payload around 4K as the long beds have GVW of 12300 pending your configuration. A 14k trailer would have a hitch weight around 2800 pending how it’s loaded. Still plenty of room to load stuff in the bed.