2014 2500 6.4 what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all.
Newbie looking at buying a 2014 6.4 crew cab. Truck has been taken care of. Has 170k exhaust manifolds are done new radiator. Doesn't need anything I can see. Are there specific things to look for? I read the 6 speed trans can have issues, but there were no shift issues I noticed while driving it. Have been in Fords for the last 20 years, so don't know what to look for. I do know I LIKE this truck! Rides better and has more power than v10 or 6.2 had.
thanks.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you have the ability to run the VIN through a dealership and see what has been done in terms of warranty work it may help you to know what, if any, warranty work has ever been done on this truck.

It can be a risk purchasing a used truck that is already 8+ years old with 170-miles on it ... that's like 274,000Km's on it (yes, I'm a Canuck ;))

That's a few KM's indeed and something to be mindful of as well.

Can you take it to an independent shop and have it thoroughly inspected, and possibly a compression test done on the engine, too?

Not sure what the asking price is on it, but it may be worth you spending a few dollars upfront to know what you could be potentially walking into...

Buyer beware... and always do your due diligence when making a purchase of this magnitude, is always my best advice...

Coming from a guy with 33+ years and 25+ vehicles in that time experience (new and used vehicles.... but mostly used until I got settled into my career and able to purchase new... ;))

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the ability to run the VIN through a dealership and see what has been done in terms of warranty work it may help you to know what, if any, warranty work has ever been done on this truck.

It can be a risk purchasing a used truck that is already 8+ years old with 170-miles on it ... that's like 274,000Km's on it (yes, I'm a Canuck ;))

That's a few KM's indeed and something to be mindful of as well.

Can you take it to an independent shop and have it thoroughly inspected, and possibly a compression test done on the engine, too?

Not sure what the asking price is on it, but it may be worth you spending a few dollars upfront to know what you could be potentially walking into...

Buyer beware... and always do your due diligence when making a purchase of this magnitude, is always my best advice...

Coming from a guy with 33+ years and 25+ vehicles in that time experience (new and used vehicles.... but mostly used until I got settled into my career and able to purchase new... ;))
Thanks for that. Guy bought it new and has all paperwork on the work done to it. It is CLEAN clearly taken care of. He just bought the same truck but newer so selling this one. He's asking 19 it's a Laramie with a fisher plow retrax tonneau and a ladder rack.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Thanks for that. Guy bought it new and has all paperwork on the work done to it. It is CLEAN clearly taken care of. He just bought the same truck but newer so selling this one. He's asking 19 it's a Laramie with a fisher plow retrax tonneau and a ladder rack.
You're welcome.
I'd still get it checked out, thoroughly!

$19K USD is not a small amount of cash.

If you like it and feel it is worth it, spend a few hundred USD and get it thoroughly checked at an independent shop that you really trust... that's my advice ;)

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
When was the last transmission service and tune up done?

Diff and transfer case fluids changed...when?

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When was the last transmission service and tune up done?

Diff and transfer case fluids changed...when?
Not sure. He seems to have done all maintenance at the dealership. I have to ask.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't want to be impulsive, but I REALLY like this truck. And I am REALLY tired of working on my current truck every other time I drive it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The single biggest thing you need to worry about on that truck is going to be the cam/lifter issue. However, it doesn't happen to ALL of them, and if it's been cared for it may never happen (mine went 110k or so before I traded it in, had no tick and no lifter issues, some others on here have had it MULTIPLE times before 100k). I never had any issues with my transmission either, and I'd venture to say mechanically those issues don't happen as often as it sounds. HOWEVER, they're still something to be mindful of and could happen to anyone.

If you can go through his paperwork and it seems complete, and you can maybe pull a carfax to see if he's hiding anything (dealers and many shops report to this, and ANY accident that gets a police report is recorded), and everything seems to be in order, it could be a pretty good truck for you.

I do echo the above though, if you're not confident in your mechanical capabilities but have a trustworthy mechanic you use, see if he'll let you (or even meet you there) to have it looked over. If the mechanic says it's good, I would go for it.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty confident in my abilities, I diagnosed and did all my own work on the 6oh powerstroke I had.

I didn't think the valvetrain issues were problem for the 6.4. One of the reasons I'm looking for 6.4.

It didn't exhibit any of the shift issues that I've read about.

For a work truck, it was run thru a car wash more than any vehicle I've owned. There is no rust underneath on the body. Has a lite rust on spots on the frame.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They sell way less 2500 and 3500's with the 6.4 that's why a person doesn't here of as many as the 5.7's. They still happen but to what extent who knows. I don't and wouldn't worry about it too much. I have 131k on mine and the only time it's given me a problem was when the map sensor took a crap. Ironically the only other person I know with a 6.4 (14 3500) had his map sensor crap out on him 2 months after mine. $38 oem on rockauto and good as new.

If you start noticing outside tire wear on the front tires have it aligned to thurens specs (0 toe). Some have problems with Rams alignment specs with tire wear and some don't.

If you really like it get.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
They sell way less 2500 and 3500's with the 6.4 that's why a person doesn't here of as many as the 5.7's. They still happen but to what extent who knows. I don't and wouldn't worry about it too much. I have 131k on mine and the only time it's given me a problem was when the map sensor took a crap. Ironically the only other person I know with a 6.4 (14 3500) had his map sensor crap out on him 2 months after mine. $38 oem on rockauto and good as new.

If you start noticing outside tire wear on the front tires have it aligned to thurens specs (0 toe). Some have problems with Rams alignment specs with tire wear and some don't.

If you really like it get.
Out of curiosity, what were the symptoms of your MAP sensor failure? On my '17 Power Wagon I had one fail that never threw a code...I don't have the truck anymore but I like to compare notes from time to time.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, what were the symptoms of your MAP sensor failure? On my '17 Power Wagon I had one fail that never threw a code...I don't have the truck anymore but I like to compare notes from time to time.
On my truck it went out at 128k. Drove 6 hours to where I was working for the week on Sunday. Got up Monday morning and the traction control light was on. Didn't think much of it since it was winter and maybe some moisture got in somewhere and froze over night. Anywaysf drove to the jobsite and quickly realized it was in limp mode. Wouldn't shift past 4th gear, but luckily jobsite was close to the hotel. Got to tN6he jobsite shut off the truck. Started it back up and no more traction control light on but after 10-15 seconds of running normal the rpms went up to 1500 then back down to 500 over and over again.

On my uncles 14 (not sure on the miles but really low for the year 50k-60k quesstimate). His had been sitting for a few weeks. He started his up and traction control and check engine light was on. P0107 was the code. His was also stuck in limp mode but at least he got a code. I brought him my spare map sensor. Had to get a napa one since I was out of town but ordered oem and switched out the napa one with oem when I got back home. So we put the napa one in his, cleared the codes and it was good to go.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
On my truck it went out at 128k. Drove 6 hours to where I was working for the week on Sunday. Got up Monday morning and the traction control light was on. Didn't think much of it since it was winter and maybe some moisture got in somewhere and froze over night. Anywaysf drove to the jobsite and quickly realized it was in limp mode. Wouldn't shift past 4th gear, but luckily jobsite was close to the hotel. Got to tN6he jobsite shut off the truck. Started it back up and no more traction control light on but after 10-15 seconds of running normal the rpms went up to 1500 then back down to 500 over and over again.

On my uncles 14 (not sure on the miles but really low for the year 50k-60k quesstimate). His had been sitting for a few weeks. He started his up and traction control and check engine light was on. P0107 was the code. His was also stuck in limp mode but at least he got a code. I brought him my spare map sensor. Had to get a napa one since I was out of town but ordered oem and switched out the napa one with oem when I got back home. So we put the napa one in his, cleared the codes and it was good to go.
Yours sounds similar to what mine was doing, idling erratically and felt like it was misfiring while driving (didn't have much choice but to drive it about 20 miles). No code ever thrown, despite how bad it was running - it actually stalled after I got out of the truck at the shop, I'd left it running so they could see/hear what it was doing. Left the mechanics clueless as to what was wrong, one of the Chrysler engineers told them to do try changing it, sure enough cleared up all the issues.

Sounds to me like they need to work on making that sensor report when it's malfunctioning a bit better.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds to me like they need to work on making that sensor report when it's malfunctioning a bit better.
Yes they do. I don't like letting other people work on my vehicles especially when I don't know them. Being out of town, limited day light working sun up til sun down, and needing it fixed asap since I was in charge of the job and had all of our tools/supplies in it didn't help my situation. A code would have saved me a lot of headache and stress.

At least my uncles threw a code, but in both our cases I'm not sure why the traction control light came on.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the same year truck since new and have had a few issues - tranny failed twice. 38K and 90K but seems to be holding well at 132K. Engine went at 120K and was replaced by a new crate engine from the factory. Also, had a few other things - exhaust bolts, 8.4 Uconnect screen/brain.

It seems my engine going was quite a fluke but the other things are fairly common. With the tranny the valve-body seems to be the weak spot. If you get the chance to drive it again I'd really put it through the paces on shifting under hard acceleration. My first failure was immediate with no warning. Second time it started acting funny and going into limp mode after hard acceleration. Overall, I've enjoyed the truck but it's not been the most reliable machine I've ever owned.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same year truck since new and have had a few issues - tranny failed twice. 38K and 90K but seems to be holding well at 132K. Engine went at 120K and was replaced by a new crate engine from the factory. Also, had a few other things - exhaust bolts, 8.4 Uconnect screen/brain.

It seems my engine going was quite a fluke but the other things are fairly common. With the tranny the valve-body seems to be the weak spot. If you get the chance to drive it again I'd really put it through the paces on shifting under hard acceleration. My first failure was immediate with no warning. Second time it started acting funny and going into limp mode after hard acceleration. Overall, I've enjoyed the truck but it's not been the most reliable machine I've ever owned.
Thanks for the info. He just did the exhaust manifolds, starter and radiator. I will drive it harder next time, see what happens. It is a work truck but I suspect whatever it needed to not unexpectedly break down, it got. Guy does higher end remodels and restorations so he needs to be on the jobsite.

OP
OP
S

samsdad02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went and drove it again. Shifted fine under hard acceleration. Noticed the muffler was a little louder than last time, had a hole in it. He's going to fix it. So I'll pick it up once I get my paperwork.

Question on something else. He put an aftermarket radio in, so all the uConnect stuff dosen't work. It looks like iDatalink has a work around to get all that stuff working again. Anyone with an experience with aftermarket stuff?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anything can have issues. I have a 6 speed, never a problem. Really haven't seen enough posting in many years that would lead to a concern that the 6 speed has a problem. Beware of "hearing things". Do a search for things you want to know and see what comes up here.