Which trim level tends to have a higher resale value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I’ll probably end up purchasing a new Ram within the coming months.

I know it's hard to predict, but any trim level tend to hold its resale value better than the others? In particular, big horn, rebel, laramie, and limited.

All road driving for me. If I had to guess, I'd say the rebel may hold a higher resale value (but I could be wrong).

Thx

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Best thing to do is use a service like cars.com and search for used configurations in your marketing area. What has value in Texas may be different than in another state or region.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rebel may until the TRX comes out.

Best bet IMO would be to look up used 2016-18's in your area, and see how far their sale price is compared to MSRP.
Of course try to keep the mileage the same and options can swing prices around too.

therethere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is probably the Rebel now, but since you can now effectively build a near Rebel spec Ram on any trim that may change. If/when the TRX comes out it will fall as that will be the most desirable.

Typically with most vehicles it is the mid spec trims (Big Horn/Laramie for Ram) that hold their value best when comparing resale value vs MSRP. Loaded vehicles generally depreciate more.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My Mercedes dropped in value like it was on fire. But my Subaru stayed top tier dollar wise. It really comes down to that age old supply and demand.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Mercedes dropped in value like it was on fire. But my Subaru stayed top tier dollar wise. It really comes down to that age old supply and demand.

My 750Li dropped value like it was on fire and then doused with acid!! My mercedes have all done pretty good. 3 E classes and my wife has had 2 C Classes.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've found, they seem to hold their value about the same across all trims. A 5 year old Limited is going to bring about $4-6k more than a 5 year old Big Horn or Laramie, when both trucks have lost about half of their original value, and the Limited originally cost $10-12k more new. Not enough to make it a factor in choosing a new truck IMO.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sadly my S class albeit nice was a money loss easily lol. Passed that on to my cousin who then dropped another $30,000 modding it to his liking.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sadly my S class albeit nice was a money loss easily lol. Passed that on to my cousin who then dropped another $30,000 modding it to his liking.
Kind of the unfortunate thing about luxury cars. People that want them tend to buy them new and the used market guys are afraid of the maintenance bills. Funny thing is if you do some of the work yourself and you plan ahead on parts they're not much worse than most vehicles. Loved my 7 series, but didn't get much of what I had in it back when I sold it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Seems like they all depreciate around the same percentage. Longhorn and limited seem to hold on a bit better due to desirability and in the HD diesels seem to hold value the best.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’m feeling right now the 5th gen as far as value will be a crap shoot. Some guys will get top dollar for trade as the dealers want to close those deals. Around here there are a lot of cars that get dropped after the first year of ownership. The problem there is for those that keep theirs a little longer are seeing their value plummet.

Now for someone like me who I tend to keep a vehicle I like, and make it into a vehicle that I love. The Mercedes was purchased as a “ family “ car for weekend getaways. It just wasn’t what I needed at that time. I really didn’t need a top tier Ram as I knew what I wanted / needed from it.

So long story made short, we will have to wait and see what the market holds for us.

DeusUrsus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work with auto loans daily. When lenders are working with KBB values to determine LTV numbers, trim levels play a big part in boosting the value.

You literally enter the VIN and mileage, then get a base value from that. You then choose options. Most of the time, things are automatically checked off based on the VIN, but you’ll usually need to add on leather seats, panoramic roof, spray in liner etc. You can only choose OEM options for KBB value too.

Things like a tow package are always unchecked, so the bells and whistles always add more to the value.

Mind you, this is for buyers trying to get financing. The private party resell market is a different beast. But this is definitely helpful knowledge for people wanting to refinance their current Ram or purchase one from the dealer or private party seller.

tldr: Bells and whistles/trim levels make a big difference in value when it comes to KBB values.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I bought my S 550 mercedes when it was 2 years old with 23,000 miles. I paid 50% of the new sticker and still have 2 year warranty. The best way to buy anything is one that is only 1 or 2 years old since 25% plus of the depreciation has already happened. That said I am doing the wrong thing and buying a brand new Ram.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I bought my S 550 mercedes when it was 2 years old with 23,000 miles. I paid 50% of the new sticker and still have 2 year warranty. The best way to buy anything is one that is only 1 or 2 years old since 25% plus of the depreciation has already happened. That said I am doing the wrong thing and buying a brand new Ram.

Basically this. The new 1500 is probably my 10th car in 11 years or so. I very rarely buy new. I always buy used cars that are 1 or 2 years old and still under warranty. My last car was a BMW CPO.

I got the 1500 cause sometimes you just want "new new" :)

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Seems like they all depreciate around the same percentage. Longhorn and limited seem to hold on a bit better due to desirability and in the HD diesels seem to hold value the best.

When I bought my first Longhorn, I asked the salesman why there wasn't a discount package on it. He said that the discounts are there to attract buyers who are in the market for something else. If someone wants a Longhorn, they know what it is and what it costs. They're not interested in settling for something else. I don't see any reason why that would not apply also to a used vehicle in the discussion.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I bought my first Longhorn, I asked the salesman why there wasn't a discount package on it. He said that the discounts are there to attract buyers who are in the market for something else. If someone wants a Longhorn, they know what it is and what it costs. They're not interested in settling for something else. I don't see any reason why that would not apply also to a used vehicle in the discussion.
That sounds like a salesman line to me. Especially with direct competition with the king ranch, but the top tier trims and bare minimum trucks are the easiest to resell down the road I've found. Guys either want them for themselves (premium) or for employees to use for business (bare minimum) as a general rule.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
That sounds like a salesman line to me. Especially with direct competition with the king ranch, but the top tier trims and bare minimum trucks are the easiest to resell down the road I've found. Guys either want them for themselves (premium) or for employees to use for business (bare minimum) as a general rule.

What did you say that was different? "They either want them for themselves" is the same thing as saying they (buying new) want the Longhorn for what it is and they know what it costs. I agree with the ease of selling, but I'd venture a guess that in any given local market, the models/trims that sell best new are very likely to sell best used, too.