Whipple tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm planning on adding a Whipple SC to my Ram.

However, I'm at this point unclear as to exactly what needs to be done, tuning-wise.

The Whipple site says
  • "Model years 2015 and up require unlocked PCM's from HP Tuner"
  • "The system also includes ... HP Tuners flash bundle..."
  • "...HP Tuner bundle that allows you to read and erase codes and multiple data log features"
Presumably, you need a Tuner, unlocked PCM and.... a tune(?)

On the HP Tuners site, it appears that I can get an MVPI2 device with the required 2 credits for a single vehicle license for $400. This includes unlocking the OEM PCM which I would need to send to them to have done. I will also need a "Smart Access Cable" at $90. So basically $500.

Firstly, have I got that right?

Secondly, from where, how and at what cost do I get the tune? Is that included with the Whipple kit? Obviously, it would have to be a conservative generic one based on all stock components. Or do I need to get the motor running, do some runs and send a log file to [someone] to get it tweaked? If so, who, how long does it take, what does that cost, etc.?

Really want to do this, but be prepared. I will be counting on my Summer Car (which I really prefer to drive only in good weather) while the Ram is down getting this done.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Tune,interface and credits is all included with the kit. You just need an unlocked pcm. You do a stock read and send it to whipple they build you a tune based off that.

The whipple tune is a good starting point but I’d recommend a custom tune.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I'd wait for the 5th gen Whipple to come out. It should only be a few more months.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd wait for the 5th gen Whipple to come out. It should only be a few more months.

I won't be ordering until the weather is good enough for me to get my fair weather car out.

But they JUST BARELY released the 4G 2.9 for the 2020 (I've been waiting over a year, and checking regularly). So I don't have high hopes that they will have a 5G kit for the RAM 5.7 any time soon. It seems to me that they concentrate on the much larger market of Challengers, Chargers and JEEPs(!!). Which makes business sense, but doesn't make me happy.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I won't be ordering until the weather is good enough for me to get my fair weather car out.

But they JUST BARELY released the 4G 2.9 for the 2020 (I've been waiting over a year, and checking regularly). So I don't have high hopes that they will have a 5G kit for the RAM 5.7 any time soon. It seems to me that they concentrate on the much larger market of Challengers, Chargers and JEEPs(!!). Which makes business sense, but doesn't make me happy.
I was told late May.