Safer. Stage 1 full cam kit install or whipple supercharger.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys

Was looking to get some real hp increase under the hood but don't want to destroy my transmission.
Whats a safer bet. Stage 1 full cam kit install or a whipple supercharger

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
By the way I have an 8hp75 trans
6.4 swap,not much more then a whipple,and if you buy it new has a 3 year warrenty,and is way easier to tune.Then sell your old 5.7 to recoup some of your costs.The SRT 6.4 manual transmission Challenger,comes with a MDS delete slightly more aggressive cam then the automatic SRT 6.4s have.485 hp and 475lb-ft with a warrenty,tough to build a reliable 5.7 to those numbers with out doing pistons and rods,and it won't have much of a warrenty

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6.4 swap,not much more then a whipple,and if you buy it new has a 3 year warrenty,and is way easier to tune.Then sell your old 5.7 to recoup some of your costs.The SRT 6.4 manual transmission Challenger,comes with a MDS delete slightly more aggressive cam then the automatic SRT 6.4s have.485 hp and 475lb-ft with a warrenty,tough to build a reliable 5.7 to those numbers with out doing pistons and rods,and it won't have much of a warrenty
Can my trans handle that engine... is it hard to diy? I do have mechanic experience but never did a engine swap

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can my trans handle that engine... is it hard to diy? I do have mechanic experience but never did a engine swap
How long your 75 lasts depends on how good your tuner is.A poor tuner will burn up an 8 speed in short order,while a good tuner can make your transmission live behind 700hp. Don't use the 2 big name email truck tuners,use somebody like Dusterhoff / or Sipple to tune it.
You actually have a better 8 speed then the one in the 485 horse ScatPacks,they only get the 8HP70.
The last 2 digits of the 8 speeds numbers are it's torque rating in Newton/Meters multiplied by 10.
ie 8HP70=700NM which equals 516 lb-ft
8HP75=750NM which equals 563 lb-ft
If you can handle doing a cam swap you can handle doing an engine swap,in fact the engine swap might even be easier to do.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Besides that, a stage 1 cam isn't much of an upgrade. It's what's considered "Stock Plus". Barely more aggressive. Good for like 10, maybe 15 HP. You'd want a stage 2, minimum, ground for boost for a whipple. And new valve springs, MDS delete kit. Stock internals are good for 550'ish crank HP. And the 8HP75 would be fine.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Besides that, a stage 1 cam isn't much of an upgrade. It's what's considered "Stock Plus". Barely more aggressive. Good for like 10, maybe 15 HP. You'd want a stage 2, minimum, ground for boost for a whipple. And new valve springs, MDS delete kit. Stock internals are good for 550'ish crank HP. And the 8HP75 would be fine.
So stage 2 and a whipple should be fine? I use this for my everyday...
Where would a stage 2 and a whipple bring me? Considering I would put shorties when I install stage 2

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where would a stage 2 and a whipple bring me? Considering I would put shorties when I install stage 2

It's going to depend on the cam and tune. I wouldn't go too aggressive for a daily. Low to mid 400's at the wheels. Considering your truck stock is putting down about 330 to the wheels stock. That's huge bump.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What are these stage cams you're referring to??

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What are these stage cams you're referring to??
I'm more curious why he would want to put shorties instead of long. If your going to make those type of changes, put Long tubes.

if it's daily driver, just wants some more HP, putting long tubes with tune, would be ok.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Honestly i think you've been listening to the internet to much,lol. Boost on a stock bottem end 5.7 and wanting it to be a reliable daily driver,that isn't a maintence and tuning night mare don't really go together in a truck.What are your plans in case it breaks a piston,do you have the budget to fix it,and can you afford to have the truck broke for several weeks.
Stick with a naturally aspirated combo ,geared towards bottem end torque,if you want a reliable daily driver.
Put a set of long tubes on it,along with a 6.4 intake and a small torque based cam with a tune,and you'll be surprised at how much quicker it'll be,and it's a fairly easy combo to tune,that won't hurt itself.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly i think you've been listening to the internet to much,lol. Boost on a stock bottem end 5.7 and wanting it to be a reliable daily driver,that isn't a maintence and tuning night mare don't really go together in a truck.What are your plans in case it breaks a piston,do you have the budget to fix it,and can you afford to have the truck broke for several weeks.
Stick with a naturally aspirated combo ,geared towards bottem end torque,if you want a reliable daily driver.
Put a set of long tubes on it,along with a 6.4 intake and a small torque based cam with a tune,and you'll be surprised at how much quicker it'll be,and it's a fairly easy combo to tune,that won't hurt itself.

Depends on how it's built and who's tuning it. Mine was very reliable for the 30k out of 50k I had it supercharged. I even towed my travel trailer with it. Just don't go crazy with the boost on a stock bottom end. Too many people want all the power, without spending the money to make all the power without blowing it up.

Tuning is really the #1 factor in doing it right. Find a shop that can do it right, spend the money, it's not cheap. But knowing your boost levels, AFR throughout the RPM range, temps, pressures and timing are spot on goes a long way towards reliability.

But, yeah, probably not best suited as a daily driver. If I was going to daily the truck I'd have spent the extra money on rods and pistons. Didn't stop me from towing my bass boat all over NC, SC, VA and TN, or going to shows all over as well.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm leaning towards a whipple and maybe a sdpc mds delete stage 1 kit. I only drive about 25 miles per day. I just want some power when I hit the gas lol... also do a little showing off on the weekends honestly... if it breaks I'll take the train I'm in the city...
One thing that does scare me is if I'm sitting in traffic.. heard SC not that great sitting on the low end rpm range all the Time

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm leaning towards a whipple and maybe a sdpc mds delete stage 1 kit. I only drive about 25 miles per day. I just want some power when I hit the gas lol... also do a little showing off on the weekends honestly... if it breaks I'll take the train I'm in the city...
One thing that does scare me is if I'm sitting in traffic.. heard SC not that great sitting on the low end rpm range all the Time
If you're going to drive it hard,spend the money and put pistons and rods in the bottem end. If the truck is fairly low miles you can get away with a set of drop-ins from somebody like Ryan Hogan / Flying Ryan Performance,and talk to him about a blower spec cam,that he can tune for you.Buy once/cry once is very true when it comes to boosting a Hemi.
Give up on that idea of shorties to,do long tubes.
Tuning is going to be very important to

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Depends on how it's built and who's tuning it. Mine was very reliable for the 30k out of 50k I had it supercharged. I even towed my travel trailer with it. Just don't go crazy with the boost on a stock bottom end. Too many people want all the power, without spending the money to make all the power without blowing it up.

Tuning is really the #1 factor in doing it right. Find a shop that can do it right, spend the money, it's not cheap. But knowing your boost levels, AFR throughout the RPM range, temps, pressures and timing are spot on goes a long way towards reliability.

But, yeah, probably not best suited as a daily driver. If I was going to daily the truck I'd have spent the extra money on rods and pistons. Didn't stop me from towing my bass boat all over NC, SC, VA and TN, or going to shows all over as well.
So you got 30K out of it before it blew up by the sounds of that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ryan has a sale on drop in piston/rods right now.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're going to drive it hard,spend the money and put pistons and rods in the bottem end. If the truck is fairly low miles you can get away with a set of drop-ins from somebody like Ryan Hogan / Flying Ryan Performance,and talk to him about a blower spec cam,that he can tune for you.Buy once/cry once is very true when it comes to boosting a Hemi.
Give up on that idea of shorties to,do long tubes.
Tuning is going to be very important to
How can I go long tubes and still be street legal in nyc. Pass insp etc

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you got 30K out of it before it blew up by the sounds of that.
It did not blow up. I pulled everything off of it, put back to stock, and traded it in on a 2500. Internals looked great when we pulled it apart. I wasn't running a ton of boost. Combination of everything gave me right at 430 hp / 450 ft/lbs to the wheels. Never gave me a stitch of an issue. Other than finding traction.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca