Wind Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deanno33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read every thread here related to wind noise in the door / window but it doesn't seem that anyone posted any true fix. I have a 'air leak noise' upper rear of drivers window. Starts around 40 mph and gets louder as speed up. Sounds like window isn't fully up....very annoying right next to your ear when driving. Not overly loud but just plain annoying

At first I thought maybe it was from my window tint but the shop pulled the tint , cleaned the window and seals, same noise. I watch her reapply the tint, and there is nothing they do that would impact a seal. I've been to the dealer 5 times....twice where I left the truck with them.
  1. Adjusted my door both in and out in different areas
  2. Replaced door seal
  3. Replaced a piece of window moulding
  4. Replaced window seal
  5. Made some other adjustments, drove it a lot (25 miles even though freeway is right next to dealer upload_2020-9-11_8-7-24.gif
Nothing worked. Finally, they said it's normal. I drove two other 2020 Rams from co-workers and theirs don't make the noise.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? I looked at every seal. Nothing seems out of place. I've retracted the side mirrors, that's not it. The cab recirc for the AC isn't causing it. Just at a loss. Maybe something I need to live with I guess. I did call another local dealer to explain, and they wouldn't make an appointment since the other dealer had already started the process of fixing it. Said since they had already done things to the truck, they didn't know if their work (the new dealer) would be covered under warranty. Not sure I understand that, but may need to find a third dealer to check out.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Your’s sounds different than mine or any other I’ve read about on here. Mine is definitively only present during high, right to left, crosswind situations. I once posted I thought mine might be coming from underneath the truck rather than from around the window. I have not eliminated that as a possibility but, the more I read other’s experiences, I do regard it as a low probability now.

I have not heard it since that posting several weeks ago. But, I have not driven in high crosswind conditions since then either.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Sounds like you need a 2" roll of 3M blue tape. Tape the entire drivers side - doors, windows and sunroof if you have one. If the noise goes away then start removing the tape until it comes back.

If the noise doesn't go away then you need to look elsewhere. That's how I pin-pointed the noise in my sunroof. Told the dealer how I found it, they started a Star case and did the required work and the noise was gone. I suspect the dealers are hard pressed to do this much work to find the cause as it takes a fair bit of time. I know the service advisor was elated I found it and made his job much easier. The work took longer than they told me so they gave me a free full synthetic oil change and tire rotation for my efforts. WIN - WIN

Of course, you'll be driving a new truck covered in blue tape for a while but it beats the heck out of a constant noise.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have that same noise on my drivers window upper rear, if I push on the window the air noise changes, its upper the window channel that needs to get closer to the body so I put the window down held the lower part of the door with my knee and pulled the window channel towards me, I talked to some guys in the dealer body shop and they said this is there fix.

OP
OP
D

Deanno33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have that same noise on my drivers window upper rear, if I push on the window the air noise changes, its upper the window channel that needs to get closer to the body so I put the window down held the lower part of the door with my knee and pulled the window channel towards me, I talked to some guys in the dealer body shop and they said this is there fix.

Thanks. I'm trying to follow but having a hard time picturing what you are referring to. Would you mind a couple quick pics or further explanation please?

RAMLARAMIE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7L V8
Dealing with the same issue. I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday. I too thought it was the shop who tinted my windows that may not have sealed the door correctly. Apparently there are special sound deafening clips, which they did purchase and install. My truck cabin sounds like I am driving in high winds all the time. I purchased the truck a few months ago and I am going to dump it if they can not find a fix. I will update if I find any information from the dealership.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks. I'm trying to follow but having a hard time picturing what you are referring to. Would you mind a couple quick pics or further explanation please?
It's called "brute force body work" and works like a charm.
1. Roll down window.
2. Open door.
3. Sitting sideways in the seat (facing the door), put your knee in the lower part of the door below the door handle area so you have leverage when grabbing the top of the door and pulling into bend it in a little.
4. Grab the top of the door (again, make sure the window is rolled down) and pull it in a little to try to bend it in to seal better when the door is closed.
5. Close the door when you are finished, roll up window, take for a test drive and see if that fixed it.
6. If not, repeat the procedure again to bring the top in a little more.

I had to do it twice on the front passenger door and other cars going back to the 70's, and works fine...like any body shop would do.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
usually wind noise around the window is due to door frame misalignment. That means its time to do some brute force window frame adjusting....(EXTREMELY CAREFULLY)

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright Guys the Brute force body worked did the trick on my Drivers side upper window channel, I still have the Cross wind chime that is back now that's cold when it was hot it went away!!!

RAMLARAMIE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7L V8
Dealing with the same issue. I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday. I too thought it was the shop who tinted my windows that may not have sealed the door correctly. Apparently there are special sound deafening clips, which they did purchase and install. My truck cabin sounds like I am driving in high winds all the time. I purchased the truck a few months ago and I am going to dump it if they can not find a fix. I will update if I find any information from the dealership.
Went to the dealership today. They adjusted the doors. This did Not change the wind noise. They hear it as well and are going to research a fix. I am scheduled to drop the truck to them again in a week after they review possible fixes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stan Burun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Tried pulling the top of the doors in no different, been to the dealer 3 times ist time they said it was the side window visor, took them off, back to the dealer now they say it's the tow mirrors, I tried taping all cracks around doors no help, 80,000 k truck sounds like your riding in an airplane.truck only has 1900 miles on maybe it will improve