Would you pay monthly for certain features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live North of 3/4 of all Canadians.

When it snows I just go out and clear the snow off my vehicle, scrape the windshield, turn the key and drive. If I'm dressed warm enough to walk out to the truck I'm dressed warm enough to drive it while the engine warms up.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I'm paying $79 + tax for a year of Sirius. When I renewed they wanted about $20 / month, I said I wanted the $ 79 / yr deal. They said that's no longer available so I said OK, then cancel my subscription. The rep said can I put you on hold, then came back with the unavailable $79 deal, amazing how fast their pricing changes.
I call every year at renewal and tell them I'm not paying their ridiculous $300/yr and I'm cancelling. 10 minutes later I'm talking to the "loyalty department" or whatever it is and then get another year for $79. Had the service for the last 10 years or so and it's never failed.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
The UConnect monthly pay feature is fine for what it offers- extras. If you want it, get it. If not, you can still use the normal stuff your vehicle came with like cruise control and the headlights. Charging a monthly fee for installed options is just ridiculous.
I pay for Uconnect solely because of the GPS tracking it offers. The discount I get on my insurance is well worth the price of Guardian and pays for itself.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It is all a racket from the bean counters !
In today world many love subscriptions service's ! And have to have them!
Companies know this and capitalize on it !

As for Sirius I had it for awhile. Free for 6 months or so,
When trial was over they wanted 15$ a month :O
I really do not listen to the radio a lot plus I and a tight *** lol ,Told them no way !
Then they dropped it to 5$ a month for a year ! Same drill when time to renew they wanted 15 or 17$ a month,
Said no they went to the 5$ a month, I still do not have it and just play the game when they try and get me to renew again :)
So if yu want any subscription just play the not interested game, May save you a buck or two :)

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off I wouldn't have a Toyota in my driveway even for free. No way no how.
And with this 2012 1500 I recently bought, I didn't have it 2 weeks before I got something in the mail from Sirius wanting me to subscribe. My wife freaked thinking that since the truck has it we "had to" pay that bill and asked when it was due, what do we do with it.
I said throw it in the shredder pile and don't pay it.
I'd like the Sirius but it isn't worth what they were wanting.
How did they even know in had this thing yet?
19 years old, I bought it used from a GMC dealer not even a Dodge garage. ...

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I pay for Uconnect solely because of the GPS tracking it offers. The discount I get on my insurance is well worth the price of Guardian and pays for itself.
They can probably turn on that tracking at any time since if I was to apply for that service after not having it they just hit the switch and it's on. So if your truck is stolen and the police contact Ram and ask them to locate it does Ram just say Fork off, they didn't pay our ransom, uh I mean subscription fee??

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More reason to get going on my 85 d150 finished.
No computer, no sensors no scanner needed, has a carburetor that I can still fix with a screwdriver, zero payments what's not to like?
And it has the dimmer switch on the floor where it belongs
It has wing windows
it has a slant 6
It has cowl vents.
None of which is available on a 200x model year anything

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
More reason to get going on my 85 d150 finished.
No computer, no sensors no scanner needed, has a carburetor that I can still fix with a screwdriver, zero payments what's not to like?
And it has the dimmer switch on the floor where it belongs
It has wing windows
it has a slant 6
It has cowl vents.
None of which is available on a 200x model year anything
I do miss those wing windows.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I take it for granted that anyone who is anti-gov't, anti-welfare, anti-federal aid, anti-healthcare, etc will be the very first person to put their hand out when they need help. There's nothing more reliable in the world than that.

On topic I get why people have remote start I just think it's kinda soft like the people in that movie Wall-E. I'm not gonna judge someone else for wanting to be pampered but it's not for me, seems we get used to shortcuts more and more until eventually it's all shortcuts. Keeping pets alive while shopping makes sense (though not as much sense as leaving them at home does.)
No as I didn't pay for onstar or Chrysler connect or any other monthly gimmic that they want me to pay to use... unless they pay the truck payments that is..

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
but does it have the most important extinct automotive feature of all, the junk blaster vent under the steering wheel?

whoever's responsible for the disappearance of that feature is never getting a Christmas card from me ever.
yup. it does!

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You must live somewhere it never snows. Remote start is a necessity when it's below freezing and you have to park outside. Gives you a head start and makes scraping the windshield much easier.

"Sticking a key in a hole" to warm up your car is illegal in many areas and contributes to vehicle theft. Remote starts prevent that issue.
I've lived near Cincinnati for 27 years and never owned a vehicle with remote start.
Not saying it isn't a nice feature, but in no way a necessity.
And no way in hell would I pay a dime to use any feature the vehicle came with.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
You must live somewhere it never snows. Remote start is a necessity when it's below freezing and you have to park outside. Gives you a head start and makes scraping the windshield much easier.

"Sticking a key in a hole" to warm up your car is illegal in many areas and contributes to vehicle theft. Remote starts prevent that issue.

Op, I live in Montana and it's cold at least 5 months of the year. Remote start is a luxury and not necessary.

Ken Camp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6

Calling it a necessity is a bit of a stretch. Convenient yes, but definitely not a necessity. I live in the snow belt and have never had remote start. I've never had any trouble getting my truck going in the morning. Yeah scraping the windshield sucks, but it's just one of those things you gotta do.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I spent the day before the big game started getting back on the build up of my "new" slant 6.
Got the reground cam in and degreed it in.
Won't take me long at all to get it all the rest of the way back together and "sealed up" so I don't have to slip garbage bags over the short block sitting on the engine stand