Would you pay monthly for certain features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
$8 per month to keep the wife happy? Sounds like a bargain to me. Even if you have a key fob remote start installed (at least $200), the payback is almost 3 yrs before you'd be saving money by NOT getting the wife what she wants.

NealS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM 1500 Limited w/ RAMBoxs
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine

Found this when looking at ordering a new Toyota rav4 for the wife. The main thing she wants is remote start which is free for the first year then it's $8 a month. Needless to say we won't be ordering one since who knows what other features they will switch over and a person has to pay monthly.

"Stellantis (formerly Fiat Chrysler), Ford, and GM each aim to generate at least $20 billion in annual revenue from software services by 2030."
You are probably talking about some Remote Start App, practically useless. The FOB Remote Start is great especially for warming up in cold climate, or cooling in hot climate, and should be available as long as you have the vehicle. I wouldn't let an unnecessary app determine what vehicle I'd buy, probably something that you wouldn't use anyway. Why would anyone want to start their vehicle from miles or countries away? I also don't need to update my GPS, when I don't that often drive on new streets since I bought it. I already know the way to my coffee stop, and when I travel I usually go to places that have existed for a long enough time to be in the original GPS firmware.

JRs 17 Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I didn’t read every reply so forgive me if this is a duplicate. My 2018 had remote start on the keyfob and remote start on a phone app, the phone app was connected to the uconnect system and that portion required a subscription after 2 years (I think). It didn’t affect the keyfob remote start. The HVAC system can be set up to do certain things under and above certain temps when remote started (if you have the auto temp control system) my app would not start the truck when I was at work, no cell phone service, no wifi and lots of concrete so it wasn’t worth it to me.

OP
OP
White six four

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are probably talking about some Remote Start App, practically useless. The FOB Remote Start is great especially for warming up in cold climate, or cooling in hot climate, and should be available as long as you have the vehicle. I wouldn't let an unnecessary app determine what vehicle I'd buy, probably something that you wouldn't use anyway. Why would anyone want to start their vehicle from miles or countries away? I also don't need to update my GPS, when I don't that often drive on new streets since I bought it. I already know the way to my coffee stop, and when I travel I usually go to places that have existed for a long enough time to be in the original GPS firmware.
Starting in 2018 toyota's remote start is an "over the air" software. It's free for the first year then you have to pay to use it or you can't use it at all. Fob or no fob it will not work unless you pay $8 a month or $80 for a year. I have Sirius xm in my truck. Right now if I put it on xm all I get is crickets and the thoughts in my head since I don't pay for it. If I pay for it I can listen to it. Same principle.

Chetperk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
The remote start will still work as it always did. The only difference is you can’t star it through the uconnect app. I have it in my 19 1500 Classic and it works fine with the key fob. I do not subscribe to the Uconnect app and the only thing the app does is start your vehicle, unlock the doors and flash the lights, not worth paying for that. The Uconnect app still functions showing tire pressures, fuel level, oil life, odometer reading and vehicle health report at no charge.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The remote start will still work as it always did. The only difference is you can’t star it through the uconnect app. I have it in my 19 1500 Classic and it works fine with the key fob. I do not subscribe to the Uconnect app and the only thing the app does is start your vehicle, unlock the doors and flash the lights, not worth paying for that. The Uconnect app still functions showing tire pressures, fuel level, oil life, odometer reading and vehicle health report at no charge.
Not that it's a big deal though the " tire pressure... ...health report" are all also part of a uconnect trial. it runs a bit longer than the other features though it'll also stop working one day if your not paying monthly for uconnect.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I avoid reoccurring fees at all cost, unless they save me money or save me enough time that it also saves me money. ..with that said I have more reoccurring monthly/ yearly charges today than I did 20 years ago and I don't see reversing ever.

@White six four To answer your question: I'm not sure I will though I know in 20 years or so I'll be ******* at my kids/grand kids because they are. :)

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Found this when looking at ordering a new Toyota rav4 for the wife. The main thing she wants is remote start which is free for the first year then it's $8 a month. Needless to say we won't be ordering one since who knows what other features they will switch over and a person has to pay monthly.

"Stellantis (formerly Fiat Chrysler), Ford, and GM each aim to generate at least $20 billion in annual revenue from software services by 2030."

Yeah, saw this on a news report. In my opinion this is beyond outrageous. IF they want to extract SUBSCRIPTION fees from us, then give us the car or truck for FREE.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I open my hood when i want a monthly health report
The biggest thing i use the FOB for, is finding my Ram at a shopping mall, when i exit from a different door than the door that i had entered from, it is called a Panic button, of course i use it to Lock & Unlock my doors.

If you are attached to other people that have permission to use your vehicle while you are in another part of the world & they left their FOB in the vehicle, that would be a reason to have that APP that allows you to Open or Start your Ram for that person to use it.
When you add up the monthly cost for that service, wouldn't it be cheaper to call a locksmith or being a member of AAA, or having insurance that has Lock Out as part of policy

I don't own a Smart Phone & yet i can call & receive calls & messages from my contacts while on the road, isn't that what a phone is for ?
By the way, i don't text, why should i, i can leave a voice message much easier !

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I open my hood when i want a monthly health report
The biggest thing i use the FOB for, is finding my Ram at a shopping mall, when i exit from a different door than the door that i had entered from, it is called a Panic button, of course i use it to Lock & Unlock my doors.

If you are attached to other people that have permission to use your vehicle while you are in another part of the world & they left their FOB in the vehicle, that would be a reason to have that APP that allows you to Open or Start your Ram for that person to use it.
When you add up the monthly cost for that service, wouldn't it be cheaper to call a locksmith or being a member of AAA, or having insurance that has Lock Out as part of policy

I don't own a Smart Phone & yet i can call & receive calls & messages from my contacts while on the road, isn't that what a phone is for ?
By the way, i don't text, why should i, i can leave a voice message much easier !

I've never had a remote start app, but if my wife was locked out then "cheap" isn't really as interesting to me as "fast" to get the situation resolved. One wait for a locksmith will wipe out a lifetime of time saved not texting. You know you can send voice text messages and the other party can listen to them without having to dial their VM, enter a PIN, etc? I don't even set up my voicemail box.

The only reason any of the remote stuff is of interest to me is the ability to not carry a key fob during certain outdoorsy pursuits were water infiltration, lost equipment, etc is a concern. My waterproof phone in a waterproof case with a lanyard is with me anyway for emergency purposes (if I don't check in by X hours, look at my Garmin track and send help sort of thing) One of the features I miss from having a Ford is the keypad on the door. No need for a phone, keys, any of that. I could trail run, swim, kayak, whatever and not be concerned with keeping up with a fob. I know some people use those little hidden magnet boxes, but I would rather trust my key in a faraday bag in a little safe in the interior than 'hidden' underneath in a day and age of catalytic converter thefts and my truck parked in remote locations.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sirius already does the radio thing.
True, but I can use the radio without a Sirius sub, just not the Sirius channels. I can tune to local stations or stream music from my phone without paying extra, which is what this thread is all about lol. If the only option was to have a Sirius sub or no radio, then there'd be an issue.

Greek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Remember when new trucks were at least 9000 off of sticker. Where that extra income going . Car makers need to stop this bs monthly fees.

Erller5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque

That’s just wrong.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can see paying for a service via an app because of all the infrastructure behind the scenes to allow your phone to connect to the car. But for things like heated seats, adaptive cruise control....heck no. You already pay to have those options installed in you car and now you pay to use them.....hell no. This is just another way for us owners to be nickle and dimed by the car makers.