Gas tank just about fell out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So yesterday I'm on my way up to the ole hunting grounds for bear season. I get about 15 minutes from the cabin and the truck starts making this intermittent rotational metal scraping sound. It comes and goes as the truck is moving, going around curves, slowing down, speeding up. It sounds bad. I just had the wheels off to rotate the tires. Brakes were good. I didn't feel any calipers hanging up. Wtf is going on??

I pull over to take a look under the truck. The front end of the gas tank is hanging inches above the road. The noise I heard was the drive shaft hitting the metal band that should be supporting the front of the tank, but no longer is. And of course I filled the tank before I left, as always. M effer. I grab a ratchet strap from under the back seat, throw it over the frame and around the tank to get me to my destination.

A quick search of the interwebs shows this is a common issue for which Ram has issued a recall. I checked my VIN and it does fall within recall range. Made an appointment with my local stealership for the earliest appointment they have. December 2.

Last week I fixed a water leak at the rear window. This week my gas tank damn near falls the f out. I know she's got a few years on her, but only 45k miles. What the hell is going to happen next week?? Lol

20201120_133603.jpg

20201120_133621.jpg

20201120_134501.jpg

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a recall letter on this sitting in my glovebox. Stupid thing is, recall is only covered if they fail. :facepalm:

OP
OP
smithwessn

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Your fix might last longer than original. Are you in the rust belt?

Yeah, I'm in south east PA. And yeah, I have more confidence in the ratchet strap than I do in the factory rear tank strap.

There is a recall on this, but I just tossed on a strap like you. Next will be manifold leak then lifter failure.. [emoji846][emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for the day they both happen. Hoping to be able to trade it in before those happen. Lol

OP
OP
smithwessn

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a recall letter on this sitting in my glovebox. Stupid thing is, recall is only covered if they fail. :facepalm:

That typically isn't the case with a recall.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Unpopular opinion, but part of this issue lies on you. Chrysler identified the issue and recalled the trucks, its kind of on you to get the fix done. Sucks tho, I get where you’re coming from.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year truck? My 2011 has a recall
On this and it hasn’t been fixed yet. I check my straps religiously and they been tight. I should get in there before this happens to me. Glad you didn’t get into to much sauce with this issue!

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That typically isn't the case with a recall.

Exactly, but its what it says. Must be a “customer service” quality assurance letter as versus an actual recall.

literally says they will be fixed for free if they break.

OP
OP
smithwessn

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What year truck? My 2011 has a recall
On this and it hasn’t been fixed yet. I check my straps religiously and they been tight. I should get in there before this happens to me. Glad you didn’t get into to much sauce with this issue!

My truck is a 2012. Checking just the straps won't help you much. You need to check the bracket/mount it attaches to at the frame.

I never received a recall notice in the mail.

Exactly, but its what it says. Must be a “customer service” quality assurance letter as versus an actual recall.

literally says they will be fixed for free if they break.

It's an actual recall, not a TSB. Contact the NHTSA if they refuse to perform the recall. You can enter your VIN here to see any recalls apply to your vehicle. NHTSA.gov/recalls

Screenshot_20201122-063853_Chrome.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’ll check on this today. Thanks for the heads up on the frame bracket. I didn’t know this.

It's a poor design that collects dirt and moisture Lyle.It's been a known issue for a few years now.You're best bet is to try to keep the bracket area semi clean.I blow the frame out at the carwash as often as i can,and stick the wash gun up beside the tank and blow that area clean to,pain in the ass as it means you're basically laying on the ground at the carwash to wash the frame out,cover-alls are your friend,lol

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a 2012. Checking just the straps won't help you much. You need to check the bracket/mount it attaches to at the frame.

I never received a recall notice in the mail.

It's an actual recall, not a TSB. Contact the NHTSA if they refuse to perform the recall. You can enter your VIN here to see any recalls apply to your vehicle. NHTSA.gov/recalls

View attachment 228138

Must be different because I’m in Canada? Just plugged my truck in there, zero mention of tank straps. But it also didn’t mention the auto park update which was issued as a recall here. :dunno:

OP
OP
smithwessn

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@smithwessn thats a great way to ruin a nice hunting trip. Mine is a 2012 too. Good thing you were prepared with ratchet straps. Every oil change I put Amsoil metal protector on those brackets even though the front is the only problem child. If you’re near Charlie Weavers go get yourself a prime rib while your up there and it will all be better

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This happens on every ram i have had mine is a 2011 i had the strap and bracket replaced for nothing about a year ago.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Must be different because I’m in Canada? Just plugged my truck in there, zero mention of tank straps. But it also didn’t mention the auto park update which was issued as a recall here. :dunno:
I'm in canada as well. Had the tank strap recall done on my 2011. It didn't fail though. Autopark on my 2017. Not sure what year they modified the fuel tank mounting, but the newer 4th gens don't have that recall.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in canada as well. Had the tank strap recall done on my 2011. It didn't fail though. Autopark on my 2017. Not sure what year they modified the fuel tank mounting, but the newer 4th gens don't have that recall.

interesting. Weird I got the letter then. I’ll try to find it today.

maybe it wasn’t a recall on newer 4th gens, just a tsb.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure what year I got mine done, but I would have to assume any trucks rolling off the assembly line post recall would have the fix done. Sold my 2011 close to 2 years ago so it was a while back. Maybe there's a tsb to check if the fix was sufficient.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What is the fix? Do they weld a new bracket, bolt one or do they just crazy glue it:rolleyes:?