Gas tank just about fell out while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pretty sure it's a bolt on bracket or maybe just a bunch of zip ties lol.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What is the fix? Do they weld a new bracket, bolt one or do they just crazy glue it:rolleyes:?

If it is by the same crew that did the drag link recall on the HD trucks, they will just do a ****** weld job and call it fixed. :mad:

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres the one I got for my 2011 in 2018. I took it in and they supposedly fixed it

upload_2020-11-23_9-45-34.png

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So if it's fine they add the reinforcement strap and if not they replace the entire mounting system from what I read.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '01 1500 Ram's tank front band broke and tank dragged on the ground. Looked underneath when they put it on the rollback. Bought my new '17 the next day. I believe they put an extended warranty on the tank bands.

1b69c2b9c4e25d0062cd23335eff1ebdx.jpg

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
So yesterday I'm on my way up to the ole hunting grounds for bear season. I get about 15 minutes from the cabin and the truck starts making this intermittent rotational metal scraping sound. It comes and goes as the truck is moving, going around curves, slowing down, speeding up. It sounds bad. I just had the wheels off to rotate the tires. Brakes were good. I didn't feel any calipers hanging up. Wtf is going on??

I pull over to take a look under the truck. The front end of the gas tank is hanging inches above the road. The noise I heard was the drive shaft hitting the metal band that should be supporting the front of the tank, but no longer is. And of course I filled the tank before I left, as always. M effer. I grab a ratchet strap from under the back seat, throw it over the frame and around the tank to get me to my destination.

A quick search of the interwebs shows this is a common issue for which Ram has issued a recall. I checked my VIN and it does fall within recall range. Made an appointment with my local stealership for the earliest appointment they have. December 2.

Last week I fixed a water leak at the rear window. This week my gas tank damn near falls the f out. I know she's got a few years on her, but only 45k miles. What the hell is going to happen next week?? Lol

View attachment 228074

View attachment 228075

View attachment 228076

That recall has been around for a while. I could never see my self buying such a small truck. I like bouncing around on cracks in the road.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
I filled my brackets with Fluid Film and LPS 3 about five or six years ago for the second time when I was spray bombing everything

I guess I should crawl under there and take a look as my truck hadn’t been to a dealer in years

Huss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In Canada I was sent to get my gas tanks strap replaced under recall on my 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn.
About a day later I had an engine warning light for gas cap loose, so I brought it back to dealer they checked everything said what they touched is okay.
They wouldn't do a smoke test for the leaking cap, as I bought a new gas cap just in case as my truck was 8 years old.
I took my truck to my own mechanic who did a smoke check and we found that the charcoal canister on top of the gas tank had blown a flame hole at one of the casting points in the plastic.
Dealer said they didn't use torch or grinder not their fault. It was cheaper to do the job through my mechanic and less torment than fighting with a Chrysler dealer.

20200630_111415.jpg

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those brackets that hold the gas tank straps have no drain holes which is why they rot out. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the frame pocket to allow for drainage and when I did a bunch of rusty water poured out of them. Then I saturated them with Fluid Film.

HUGE design flaw...