Instrument Cluster wont turn off 2022 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A week ago I woke up to a dead battery. Figured out its because the cluster didn't shut off. It's a known problem by FCA but no fix yet. The dealership is hoping for a software update soon. It's 11pm and before going to bed I thought I'd check. Yep...cluster is lit. I have no idea which fuse to pull. And I think it's under the dash which I'm not about to dismantle tonight. My options are let the battery die overnight and recharge it in the morning or pop the negative battery cable off tonight and reconnect it in the morning. Or maybe disconnecting the battery for a few minutes tonight and reconnecting might reset the cluster? Thoughts?

I considered putting my battery charger on it on a 2amp maintenance charge but it's supposed to rain tonight and the hood would be ajar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update. Cluster was still on in the morning. Battery had enough juice to start. Drove it to the dealership and they put me in a rental for now, which is good considering they don't do rentals unless you buy the extended warranty. And now I wait to see what they're going to do. Ideally I'd like them to swap it with a 1500 that works. We'll see.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
My Thoughts are drop it off, at the dealership, and drive something else, if possible.
Hope the truck is out of service, long enough, for it to qualify for Lemon Law Buy Back, according to your States Laws.
If you hate the truck, after this, get rid of it.

If you love the truck, still, then get a free extended warranty or something else,
from Chrysler, for not making them buy it back.
Happens all the time.

If being without the use of the truck is not possible, then schedule a trip to the Dealership,
see if they can fix it and get it, in the system, that it has the issue and has been seen for the issue.
If they cannot make the repair, for whatever reason, that too 3will be in the system and documented.
Then, since you still need it, to drive, have them add, at their expense, a battery quick disconnect,
until a fix can be found.

Everything I do, would be to force a buy back, with documentation, in cse the problem persists or other problems arise.

There are such things as Firday Afternoon Trucks.,
Complete and total Junkers.\Brand new off the line.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

Why the second thread on the same topic, just out of curiosity.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update. Cluster was still on in the morning. Battery had enough juice to start. Drove it to the dealership and they put me in a rental for now, which is good considering they don't do rentals unless you buy the extended warranty. And now I wait to see what they're going to do. Ideally I'd like them to swap it with a 1500 that works. We'll see.
Here’s your issue, and you can verify by pulling fuse 94 to see if the cluster ends up going to sleep:
2C88EB83-8167-46AB-AFBA-533C5F910177.jpeg

OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My Thoughts are drop it off, at the dealership, and drive something else, if possible.
Hope the truck is out of service, long enough, for it to qualify for Lemon Law Buy Back, according to your States Laws.
If you hate the truck, after this, get rid of it.

If you love the truck, still, then get a free extended warranty or something else,
from Chrysler, for not making them buy it back.
Happens all the time.

If being without the use of the truck is not possible, then schedule a trip to the Dealership,
see if they can fix it and get it, in the system, that it has the issue and has been seen for the issue.
If they cannot make the repair, for whatever reason, that too 3will be in the system and documented.
Then, since you still need it, to drive, have them add, at their expense, a battery quick disconnect,
until a fix can be found.

Everything I do, would be to force a buy back, with documentation, in cse the problem persists or other problems arise.

There are such things as Firday Afternoon Trucks.,
Complete and total Junkers.\Brand new off the line.
Canada doesn't have lemon laws ☹️

OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update: dealership installed the softwate update this morning (FCA released it last night) and the issue is resolved. The instrument cluster is now turning off after turning off the ignition. The issue was in the electronic shifter module. A glitch wasn't letting it go to sleep. All good. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

dalewalt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Update: dealership installed the softwate update this morning (FCA released it last night) and the issue is resolved. The instrument cluster is now turning off after turning off the ignition. The issue was in the electronic shifter module. A glitch wasn't letting it go to sleep. All good. Knock on wood.

Now this is a really interesting thread

I bought my 1500 Classic new in late December. Towards the end of January, I woke up to a dead battery, with no idea what caused it. (No lights were on, etc).

One evening a week or so ago, I noticed the dash cluster hadn't turned off. I let the truck sit for a few minutes, cycled the key, started the truck, turned it off, and made sure the dome lights/etc were off. Still the dash cluster stayed lit

The next morning, sure enough, my battery was dead

I had an appointment to have the dealer look at it this morning, but (due to catching the flu over the weekend) cancelled the appointment. I thought to myself today "I should look on/post on the forum... maybe someone else had the same issue)

Then I received my weekly "Most Popular Topics" email from the forum today, and sure enough found this thread

So, RamCanada67, you're not alone (if that makes you feel any better :)). Luckily in my case it seems to be intermittent, but I'll have to make another appointment with my dealer, show him the notice Jimmy07 posted, and get the same software update

OP
OP
RamCanada67

RamCanada67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Now this is a really interesting thread

I bought my 1500 Classic new in late December. Towards the end of January, I woke up to a dead battery, with no idea what caused it. (No lights were on, etc).

One evening a week or so ago, I noticed the dash cluster hadn't turned off. I let the truck sit for a few minutes, cycled the key, started the truck, turned it off, and made sure the dome lights/etc were off. Still the dash cluster stayed lit

The next morning, sure enough, my battery was dead

I had an appointment to have the dealer look at it this morning, but (due to catching the flu over the weekend) cancelled the appointment. I thought to myself today "I should look on/post on the forum... maybe someone else had the same issue)

Then I received my weekly "Most Popular Topics" email from the forum today, and sure enough found this thread

So, RamCanada67, you're not alone (if that makes you feel any better :)). Luckily in my case it seems to be intermittent, but I'll have to make another appointment with my dealer, show him the notice Jimmy07 posted, and get the same software update
Thankfully I got it resolved relatively quickly since I bought my 2022 the end of March 2023. And the software update was released last week. Some have been waiting for a fix for a year or more! Also, thankfully this forum had some good info that I gave to the service department. That sped up their diagnostic process. Who knows how long they would have been chasing the problem! Or even if they would have figured it out. Todays service departments need a dedicated service person who specializes in software/computer issues for every year, make and model of vehicle they sell. Hope you get your cluster issue fixed soon. Should just be a simple matter of taking it in and performing the software update. Hopefully!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I used my remote start like three times one day, for the first time as this truck is new to me recently. Mine did the same thing the cluster would not shut off on its own. I ended up having to remove the plus leads off the batteries for a day (2x batteries cause its a diesel) to resolve the issue. Now I am afraid of using the remote start feature.

Shooter71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately its happening everywhere. I got home from vacation April 11-2024 only to find the battery in my 2023 Limited Longhorn completely dead. Threw charger on it for 2 days. Finally got it running, but instrument cluster was completely black, nothing there. Took it to stealership, and it's been there for almost a month so far with eta for new part to come in. Luckily I have the extended warranty, so they've got me in a rental.