TERRIBLE experience with Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree completely, but seems to me his big issue is the dealer jumping right to a new harness for an outrageous price.

That unfortunately is a byproduct of MOST people not being able to troubleshoot or solve simple problems with just a little bit of work. Hell I’ll fix it for him for a 12 Pack of 16oz Silver bullets. He buys the parts and beer, and I’ll take care of it in about an hour.

However, he should have diagnosed, or JD diagnosed, the issue as soon as it happened, instead of letting it go. But I digress

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That unfortunately is a byproduct of MOST people not being able to troubleshoot or solve simple problems with just a little bit of work. Hell I’ll fix it for him for a 12 Pack of 16oz Silver bullets. He buys the parts and beer, and I’ll take care of it in about an hour.

However, he should have diagnosed, or JD diagnosed, the issue as soon as it happened, instead of letting it go. But I digress

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40
2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30
Parts changers. Not machanics or techs anymore.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most of you here seem to have been CONDITIONED to somehow think it’s ok to sell a vehicle that cost as much as houses did a few years ago and simple only care of it holds up as long as the warranty. F U beyond that.

A manufacturers dream! Ignorant consumers lash out at those that expect more.

I’m with the OP that issues like this SHOULD NOT occur, warranty or not in a truck with so few miles/age. The warranty is simply a time period that a manufacturer must fix something. Your conditioning to accept inferior quality might be exactly why manufacturers make a lot of inferior products designed with a short shelf life. Demand more from them.

Some models are well north of 50K. You really shouldn’t pay that kind of money and expect issues right as the warranty expires, a few years after purchasing. Engineers have a very good idea of failure rates. I have no idea about this part and am not accusing Ram of anything but I do know there would be a whole lot of ticked off Ram dealers if their service department was empty.

Think about it. Instead of attacking a guy that may have a legitimate complaint about overall quality regardless of warranty, demand even more from manufacturers.

These comments again are in general.

So how upset are you that most new houses, that cost 10 times what a truck cost, usually only has a home repair warranty for 1-3 years but I get 7 years on my 25k dollar truck?

Its business with a little gamble involved. They offer the warranty knowing they will probably make out at the end. If vehicle warranty programs cost the dealers or manufacturers money, theyd stop offering them.

I gambled and didn't get the extended warranty knowing full well what MIGHT happen.

I will add, the truck "shouldn't" need a warranty at all, but these things are built by people, assembled by people, are exposed to all sorts of unpredictable environmental factors, and to expect something to not have issues is unrealistic.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So how upset are you that most new houses, that cost 10 times what a truck cost, usually only has a home repair warranty for 1-3 years but I get 7 years on my 25k dollar truck?

You're correct. I put my front door key in the lock & turned it and guess what, the house WON'T start, didn't even crank!:mad:

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're correct. I put my front door key in the lock & turned it and guess what, the house WON'T start, didn't even crank!:mad:

Should have used your truck key, might have started (old Steven Wright joke there I think)

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Parts changers. Not machanics or techs anymore.
Just as a bit of perspective, it probably should be observed that the expression was in use in the 1950s, when it became popular to install rebuilt units, such as water pumps, generators and starters, rather than tear them down on the bench and replace individual components. Most general repair shops did want to go beyond stocking a few popular starters, never mind small parts for the starters themselves. Time spent on the job was already a big factor. And yes, generators, when it wasn't a big deal to check the winding on a growler, shine up the commutator, check the undercut on the mica, and replace the brushes. But it was a big deal to find availability on anything but the brushes. If everything was good, you were a mechanic. If it needed any internal parts, you were a parts changer (rebuilt generator). We got used to it because we were trying to make money.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Just as a bit of perspective, it probably should be observed that the expression was in use in the 1950s, when it became popular to install rebuilt units, such as water pumps, generators and starters, rather than tear them down on the bench and replace individual components. Most general repair shops did want to go beyond stocking a few popular starters, never mind small parts for the starters themselves. Time spent on the job was already a big factor. And yes, generators, when it wasn't a big deal to check the winding on a growler, shine up the commutator, check the undercut on the mica, and replace the brushes. But it was a big deal to find availability on anything but the brushes. If everything was good, you were a mechanic. If it needed any internal parts, you were a parts changer (rebuilt generator). We got used to it because we were trying to make money.
I get that. Im more so referring to a person who starts changing cheap parts or common parts without actually diagnosing the parts to see if they’re bad first. I’ve been in a/c industry and then on to aircraft maintenance in the army. It irks me to no end when they just start throwing stuff at it instead of diagnosing the problem.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
The parts "guess and replace tech" point is all to real and common. They know how to pull codes that "suggest" what part needs to be checked. They do not or will not take the time to follow the diagnostic steps to nail down the actual cause of the condition. I have read many posts from our "true tech" member's. Many have explained, that just because you have a TBCM code. It does not necessarily mean you replace the TB.
My tech was born into the Dodge world as a line mechanic. Customers like myself have followed him for 30+ years, when he opened his own shop. The only issue he and I have had over the years. He does not charge enough for the quality of his service. I know, sounds drunken crazy. But when you find a good one, they are worth a premium.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The parts "guess and replace tech" point is all to real and common. They know how to pull codes that "suggest" what part needs to be checked. They do not or will not take the time to follow the diagnostic steps to nail down the actual cause of the condition. I have read many posts from our "true tech" member's. Many have explained, that just because you have a TBCM code. It does not necessarily mean you replace the TB.
My tech was born into the Dodge world as a line mechanic. Customers like myself have followed him for 30+ years, when he opened his own shop. The only issue he and I have had over the years. He does not charge enough for the quality of his service. I know, sounds drunken crazy. But when you find a good one, they are worth a premium.
This^^^^ It only lets my like it once. But that sums it up

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Well, my house is 26 years old and the AC condensation pump just went out. Complete ********. I found the builder, he’s retired and living in a home and told him he needed to replace it. Utter nonsense I have to replace the pump. Last week, a light bulb burned out. Oh, and don’t get me started on the grass, I keep knocking it down and it keeps coming back.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gears49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My issue with ram is that I have a 2014 truck with less than 70k that isn’t even drivable? I’m a little confused how you’re not seeing what the issue is here?

Also, a recall is usually issued based upon a known and reoccurring issue, such as the issues I have been experiencing.

Thanks for your .02 cents.

THE END.
A manufacturer may issue a technical service bulleting (TSB) on something like this. Not a recall.

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
At 59 I think back at all the opportunities, I have been offered a extended warranty, on my vehicles, appliances, Sears power tools, Ebay, Amazon purchases and as always Harbor Freight "stuff" LOL. I can honestly say now that I have saved thousands of dollars by NOT buying the extended warrantys on all that stuff. The couple of times I did, I totally forgot I had the warranty and didn't use it anyway, or, the thing didn't break under the extended warranty. I worked at Sears service in the 90's, and they pushed maintenance agreements, because it paid for the service department labor, trucks, and secretarial people. Some people used them, most, did not, so it was "free" money for Sears. So I am prepared to pay out of pocket for repairs to my vehicles because it comes out of a big pool of money I saved, but don't have. I put it on the charge card and pay it off asap. I still feel I'm ahead of the game.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
At 59 I think back at all the opportunities, I have been offered a extended warranty, on my vehicles, appliances, Sears power tools, Ebay, Amazon purchases and as always Harbor Freight "stuff" LOL. I can honestly say now that I have saved thousands of dollars by NOT buying the extended warrantys on all that stuff. The couple of times I did, I totally forgot I had the warranty and didn't use it anyway, or, the thing didn't break under the extended warranty. I worked at Sears service in the 90's, and they pushed maintenance agreements, because it paid for the service department labor, trucks, and secretarial people. Some people used them, most, did not, so it was "free" money for Sears. So I am prepared to pay out of pocket for repairs to my vehicles because it comes out of a big pool of money I saved, but don't have. I put it on the charge card and pay it off asap. I still feel I'm ahead of the game.

That is what many fail to understand on extended warranties. The manufacturers have data on their failure rates and know where to price their extended warranties. They market them to those that either do not understand the odds are with the house (manufacturer) and/or those that cannot financial plan to have a nest egg to cover extreme expenses should they arise.

As someone mentioned earlier, there was a time 12/12K was the standard warranty. Warranty length and terms have been more of a sales marketing tool than a gauge of actual quality. Chrysler really started the whole ball rolling with a then unheard of "5/50K" warranty in the mid 1980's to boost sales and cement them as being fully recovered from the earlier bailout. Everybody else clamored and followed suit with longer warranties.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what many fail to understand on extended warranties. The manufacturers have data on their failure rates and know where to price their extended warranties. They market them to those that either do not understand the odds are with the house (manufacturer) and/or those that cannot financial plan to have a nest egg to cover extreme expenses should they arise.

As someone mentioned earlier, there was a time 12/12K was the standard warranty. Warranty length and terms have been more of a sales marketing tool than a gauge of actual quality. Chrysler really started the whole ball rolling with a then unheard of "5/50K" warranty in the mid 1980's to boost sales and cement them as being fully recovered from the earlier bailout. Everybody else clamored and followed suit with longer warranties.
Not only that but the big push now is for lifetime warranties. I would venture a guess that most people that buy the lifetime warranty get rid of the vehicle a couple years after factory warranty runs out anyways and the lifetime warranty is not transferable. So it's just Ka Ching, Ka Ching for manufacturer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not only that but the big push now is for lifetime warranties. I would venture a guess that most people that buy the lifetime warranty get rid of the vehicle a couple years after factory warranty runs out anyways and the lifetime warranty is not transferable. So it's just Ka Ching, Ka Ching for manufacturer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fatal flaw over time with the Lifetime Warranties is the clause that repair cost will never exceed the market value of the vehicle.