Time to replace my 2018 PW battery? Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My 2018's battery found to be dead this morning. Being 5yrs old with the colder weather moving into the NE I'm thinking it's time to replace. Any suggestions?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just replaced the two in my 2018 with Walmart AGM. Nationwide anyday of the week 4YR warranty. And no one could come close to the price of $179ea. The convenience of swapping them out no matter where in the country with no hassle and for 4yrs is worth alot to me. Autozone was a close 2nd but they were $249ea. and only a 3yr warranty like the expensive Odyssey batteries.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
In Canada, no one beats Costco Kirkland for quality and warranty. In the states, interstate and walmart lead.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced the two in my 2018 with Walmart AGM. Nationwide anyday of the week 5YR warranty. And no one could come close to the price.
It's 4 years now, but still better than I could find elsewhere.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Look at the battery tray if there’s a little devider it’s easily removable and then you can add a bigger battery

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got the lead acid Everstart from Walmart. The Platinum has a 4 year free replacement for $180. Never felt any need to spend the extra money on an AGM or other "fancy" style battery. Most people I know who have spent 2 or 3 times as much money on a AGM battery usually complain about how it was a waste of money because it didn't last any longer than a regular lead acid battery, and doesn't perform any better. If somebody likes those batteries that is perfectly fine, I just never recommend them.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thought I had a bad battery couple weeks ago but turned out I just left the light on in the trailer and it drained it. Compared Costco and Walmart AGM batteries online and they were within $10 of each other. Costco is 3 year prorated warranty now though so sounds like Walmart may be the better deal.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell me you dont live were its -50, without telling me :anitoof:

People that have winches would also say otherwise.

Ive had nothing but issues until I put in an Odyssey H8 and 6.4L Alternator.
Never gets anywhere near that cold around here. However it's not unusual to dip down below 0 F and stay that way for several days, and that's somewhat of a work out for a battery. There are probably certain applications where AGM technology is beneficial, and extreme cold weather may be one of them. Cold weather performance is not commonly advertised as an advantage of AGM, but maybe it does work better??? I will say there are a small percentage of people on here that have to deal with -50 degrees....but if they do maybe they want an AGM.

Again, no problem if somebody wants to get an AGM. And sure there are people that have had better luck with them. Generally the only advertised advantages to AGM (even by battery companies trying to sell them) is longer life and more durability. The longer life is not how long it will crank or how much power it puts out before dying, but the longterm life of the battery. For durability, unless you are running the Baja 1000 or other extreme use I've never seen a battery fail from abuse.

In regards to winches, I've had off-road trucks with winches for over 20 years and quads with winches for 30 years. Currently have 3 vehicles sitting in the garage that have winches installed and none of them have every had AGM batteries. 2 of those vehicles are dedicated off-road rigs where the winch gets used about every trip out. My dad has used a winch on either a quad or SxS for snowplow duties for 30+ years also, again none of his machines have ever had AGM batteries.

Overall just my personal opinion. I'd rather pay $180 for a lead acid battery with a 4 year replacement versus almost $400.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I put in H7 Odyssey, will probably get an H8 next time. Then again, if this'n lasts 7 years, there may not be a next time. The small mod for the h8 is just taking the bottom clamp off.

Since many of us don't drive as much post-pandemic (work from home, etc) or retired since, I keep mine on a battery maintainer on the wall now, since the constant current draw will cause issues if you don't drive it, nor drive very far.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I have a lead acid and used to have an arm unless you want to mount it on its side or something I don’t see much difference other than price. My buddy had an arm in his boat the pounding of the boat on the water buggers batteries apparently if they’re Ahmed or not