Time to replace my 2018 PW battery? Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I believe they're made by Hankook Atlas.

Ok - was reading some more, things have really changed. Owners have chimed in supposedly can tell by the bar code prefix where made? Wally World is sourcing from all over for the same brand...........East Penn, Clarios, Korea, and China. Yikes.

Maybe I just go to Costco and roll dice on Interstate Brand? Price seems too low for USA quality. Odysseys are getting rarer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just for giggles, ne way, I put in a Duralast Premium AGM H7 from AutoZone in my 1500. Cost me $238.00 in Feb 2023. IMHO, if I had a 6.4 2500, I would put in an H8 AGM battery.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Ok - was reading some more, things have really changed. Owners have chimed in supposedly can tell by the bar code prefix where made? Wally World is sourcing from all over for the same brand...........East Penn, Clarios, Korea, and China. Yikes.

Maybe I just go to Costco and roll dice on Interstate Brand? Price seems too low for USA quality. Odysseys are getting rarer.

Hankook Atlas were noted as originally being made in Korea but may have changed.
All the manufacturers you listed for Wally World above will vary, depending on type and size of the battery you refer to.
The AGM H7 supposedly are Hankook Atlas. And looking on their website, the advertised battery casing is identical match to a Wally Everstart AGM.

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions. Just wanted to update the thread, I went with the Costco Interstate AGM in the larger size H8. As mentioned previously in this thread the stock battery tray has a spacer that clips in on the cab side. It pops right out and the H8 fits like a glove. If you want to replace the shield/battery blanket the current Mopar number is
Part No:5033397AE that fits the larger battery. All in all it went very smoothly not counting the smashed pinky finger lifting and setting that overweight battery into the truck :-0 Lesson learned and I will recover:) Thanks again​

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What's that battery blanket for, anyway? I haven't seen one before, unless it was heated.

OP
OP
skydyver83

skydyver83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I don't have a clue, from what I've read on the forum, some do not replace them. Maybe the newer battery technology needs a little extra protection from temperature extremes. Given the material its made from (feels like very thick felt) I can't believe it makes that much of a difference but if the Chrysler thought it was worth the extra cost to add it, it must offer some functionality to the vehicle. I think i paid about $15 for it.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
You can get a battery blanket at Canadian tire or princess auto (my favourite) and they do plug in to supply heat. I’m not sure if the blanket that they use does anything because there’s no heat put out

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I don't have a clue, from what I've read on the forum, some do not replace them. Maybe the newer battery technology needs a little extra protection from temperature extremes. Given the material its made from (feels like very thick felt) I can't believe it makes that much of a difference but if the Chrysler thought it was worth the extra cost to add it, it must offer some functionality to the vehicle. I think i paid about $15 for it.
Biggest benefit is it insulates the battery from the under hood heat. Excessive heat is the biggest killer of batteries. It is why batteries in cars in Phoenix die after a couple of years, same battery will last 8 years here in Canada.

1703949149042.jpeg

1703949304164.png

Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Like this

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 15

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
But really if you need one of these you probably need a new battery

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, got religion, held my nose, and headed to Costco today. @ 1:50 in the afternoon, a 'nothing' time for shoppers, the parking lot was still packed full of obnoxious people crashing into each other.

The boy needed two starting batteries for his older Ford diesel, so just needed the flooded cell starting only type. The Interstate Group 65 was $129.99 each. I looked over the battery case, could not find any indication where it was made. They did have date stickers on them, and they were fresh within months.

The 36 month warranty is now pro-rated, no longer absolute. wtf, we'll give them a try, even if Chineseum. Corporations hiding where their factories are. Huh, I wonder why? :rolleyes: