1500 mile road trip in a '13 Ram 1500 hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
I had the pleasure of going on a 1500 mile road trip this weekend from PA to IL to deliver the 06 GTO I had just sold.

The vehicle of choice was a 2013 Ram 1500 hemi. I estimated I would get about 13mpg round trip (half with the car, half without). I was wrong!! The trip out I got 11.7 mpg and I did not reset the counter for the whole trip. On the way home the fuel economy number went to 17.0 mpg, WHILE TOWING!!!! It may have only been an empty trailer for the ride back but regardless, that is an impressive MPG number for a full size V8 truck.

Not only was the fuel economy good, the ride was comfortable and the only time you could tell the truck had something heavy behind it was the mountains in western PA and WV.

Overall the ride was very comfortable and I had plenty of entertainment between iPod, satellite radio and the company of my wife. I would highly recommend one of these trucks for the person who does occasional towing as opposed to a 2500.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Nice man! I towed a 3k trailer from Vegas to Texas not to long ago with my 14 Laramie and it did pretty good too, I have the 8spd and 3.92's in mine as well. I barely felt the trailer behind me most of the trip. I'll be towing my race car here soon though so I'll get to test it out with the extra weight behind it.

Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.