7 pin connector question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
anyone know if the center pin on the Rams 7 pin connectors are for reverse lights? I have an extra set of reverse lights mounted on my rear bumper but it gets blocked by my trailer. Want to add another set at the rear of my trailer.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
anyone know if the center pin on the Rams 7 pin connectors are for reverse lights? I have an extra set of reverse lights mounted on my rear bumper but it gets blocked by my trailer. Want to add another set at the rear of my trailer.

Yes, the center pin is for reverse lights. However, u have to run a wire and tap into your reverse lights.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info.

that's what I didn't want to hear. I was hoping for a "plug and play" situation. I guess I got some splicing to do.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Before you do that get a buddy to put it in reverse (with E brake) and brake on and take a volt meter to you plug (pull up the diagram and see witch one is the ground) and test for voltage before you go splicing. If the pin is there I'm not sure why they wouldn't wire it up.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Before you do that get a buddy to put it in reverse (with E brake) and brake on and take a volt meter to you plug (pull up the diagram and see witch one is the ground) and test for voltage before you go splicing. If the pin is there I'm not sure why they wouldn't wire it up.

Yeah, I have seen manufacturers do plenty of dumb things but to not wire in every connector seems extra stupid.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

that was actually my plan before splicing. For half a second, I even contemplated putting wheel chocks behind the wheels, putting on the E brakes, putting in reverse and doing it by myself. Then I thought, Darwin can't be right all the time. So as soon as this down pour we're having goes away, I'm guessing I'll have the wife do the braking part while I check the center pin. I just have to remind her I bring home more per week than my life insurance will pay her..... :naughty:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
that was actually my plan before splicing. For half a second, I even contemplated putting wheel chocks behind the wheels, putting on the E brakes, putting in reverse and doing it by myself. Then I thought, Darwin can't be right all the time. So as soon as this down pour we're having goes away, I'm guessing I'll have the wife do the braking part while I check the center pin. I just have to remind her I bring home more per week than my life insurance will pay her..... :naughty:

You don't have to start the truck to test your plug- just turn ignition on and put truck in reverse with e brake set. If your backup lights on the truck are working then you should have the circuit at the plug. Should just have two hot circuits doing it this way. One is the backup lights and the other is the battery charge to the trailer.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or just install your reverse lights on the trailer and plug it in. If they don't work, do the splice.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
You don't have to start the truck to test your plug- just turn ignition on and put truck in reverse with e brake set. If your backup lights on the truck are working then you should have the circuit at the plug. Should just have two hot circuits doing it this way. One is the backup lights and the other is the battery charge to the trailer.

Very true I'm not sure why I didn't think of this! I have even done it before! I'm glad you thought of it much safer!

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I tested my reverse plug the other day, and its not live. I needed some aux lights while plowing, and I was hoping the reverse pin was hot. I ended up running a wire from the cab to a toggle instead of splicing into the reverse wire.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
frickin genious!

Or just install your reverse lights on the trailer and plug it in. If they don't work, do the splice.

I guess sometimes I over look the obvious. the lights are going on anyway, might as well do that first. NYCruiser, not only do I feel completely kinda dumb, but you sir are a genious. Thanks, you just may have saved me some work!

carid

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
A 7 pin connector has a 12 volt circuit, a circuit for electric trailer brakes (requires a brake controller in the vehicle), and a reverse light or auxiliary power circuit. You can use it for boat trailer lights