adding brake controller with hemifever tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having a OEM brake controller installed at my mod friendly dealership. I have a 2014 big horn CC. I am wondering if I need to put the truck back to stock, as I have a hemifever custom tune.
I believe one of the body modules must be flashed so it "sees" the brake controller, but not the PCM.

It takes, like FOREVER for the IT2 to marry to the truck and it failed a couple times before, that's why I am hesitant to go back to stock, unless I have to.

I thought I'd post up here before e-mailing Hemifever

Anyone have experience with this scenario?

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you need an OEM flash for the controller to work it is highly recommended that the vehicle be returned to stock to avoid programming conflicts and evidence of the tune when the dealer queries the PCM.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, but I don't think you read my question thoroughly......MOD FRIENDLY dealer.
I believe only the FCM or other module needs to be flashed , which is not effected by the tuning of the PCM. I'm looking for specific info.
I've done this before for another mod on my charger. The tech actually hooked up to the OB2 and showed me the map of the computers, and he could see I had done the latest CALID upgrade, which prevented him from receiving a prompt to upgrade it.
That was on a 08 Charger so who knows.

Well, I will once I add the module.
I could care less if the dealer sees "evidence of a tune" , as long as it doesn't get overwritten.

Of coarse, withut specific guidance I will flash it to stock before

Nice Commendation Medal, thanks for your service, Airman

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I flashed mine back to stock before having the brake controller software added.

I can't say for sure whether it will over write the tune, and I doubt many people could, but why chance it? Having to deal with the overwritten tune is a HUGE PITA. Sending it back to stock takes a little while, sure, but it's not that bad. Grab a book and go chill in the garage for half an hour.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to Andy at eastcoastmoparts.com ( Waldorf MD) I now have the controller installed. I did not need to flash the computer, although I was prepared to.
I noticed when I bought the truck that there was a 4" x 3" patch of Velcro right in front of my right knee, which seems to be a good indication that the truck had an aftermarket brake controller installed. I don't know if an aftermarket brake controller would work without the truck being flashed or not but I thought so. I started playing with the EVIC and was able to bring up the Brake controller gain..so maybe it was already flashed for the controller?
So I changed my plan and instead of flashing the truck to stock at home I drove it to Waldorf and installed the kit in the parking lot. That way if It doesn't work I can flash it and get it flashed . Thanks to those who posted about what a PITA it is to install the module mount. I got one screw in and wire tied the rest. Before we put the console etc. completely back together we tested it and the gain goes up ad down the scale as commanded buy the buttons.
I will hook it up to the trailer I will be towing that has electric brakes next week for the final test.

If you need OEM parts, definatly check

Genuine OEM Mopar Parts & Accessories | EastCoastMoparts.com

excellent prices !

Unfortunately I picked up a RAM accessories catalog while there and I now have definite need for a bunch more stuff......which I will be ordering and installing.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hooked up to the trailer with electric brakes, jacked the trailer up on one side, spun the wheel and used the manual stop and it worked. Went for a test run, gain works, hemifever tune works great for towing.
thanks for the input. through research I was able to find the gain icon in the menu and the trailer odometer, which indicated, along with the Velcro patch that I didn't need to flash the truck back to stock.
I figured the dealer or the previous owner had put the EVIC setting back to stock/ factory so I did not see it right away.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
went on a 1100 mile round trip towing two Harleys in an enclosed trailer. about 3200 ls trailer , loaded, and a b bunch of luggage tools etc. Truck ran great, 80 mph threw the smokies and blue mountains. The Tow/ haul mode and Hemifever tune helps with the hills, and the cruise control worked great with it. towed like there was nothing there. Ok not that good but I'm impressed. 11.5 mpg on the way back, 10 mpg on the way down, which makes sense as I started at sea level.
as far as the little icon for trailer tow, it does not zero out on its own when the trailer is disconnected or when the little icon is removed/ restored from the EVIC, it just shows cumulative miles that a trailer has been towed.

I suppose if I was towing more often I would go threw the trouble and expense to have the computer flashed for the towing package, but for now at least the gain works, the brakes work, and the truck hauls the mail, so other than figuring out how to zero the trailer trip miles I'm all set.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also wanted to give some temps that I saw on the EVIC,
I just changed the oil before I left to synthetic, 5-20, as he dealer most likely used conventional. I would not take conventional oil past 240.

On a long 7% upgrade of several miles, 80 mph A/C on, the oil got to 245, the coolant to 220, and the tranny to 200. temps came right back down once we crested the hill, as you imagine , coolant dropped to 186, tranny back down to 190 and the oil slowly dropped to 200.