Am I too heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm towing this trailer 3200 kms in June. It's a 6x10 and it won't be fully loaded. Pentastar, 8spd, 3:21 diff. The last part of my trip will be hilly. What do you think.

Attachments

• IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 80

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just how heavy do you plan on loading it is the question? I think you will be fine. Try to keep the really heavy stuff centered over the trailer axles. And you should be ok.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You shouldn't be, though can never say for sure without weighing the setup. It is just a single axle so I would think total weight wouldn't be more than 5000 lbs total if maxed out.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That's either a 3500 or 5200 lb single axle in leaning towards a 3500 lb axle and your won't be fully loaded so i would think you will be fine, the pentastar and 8speed is pretty solid. Like others said you won't know unless you weigh in but i would pulling and not think twice with your truck.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Like these guys said, you should be fine. You won't be over tow capacity with that trailer loaded, and the truck is big enough to handle that weight anyway!

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the re-assurance guys. I plan on taking it up to the scales before I hit the highway. It has a 3500 lb. axle and like I said it's not going to be loaded to the max. Thanks for the tip on keeping the heavier items centred on the axles, good idea.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Get total weight of the trailer, itself, loaded out.
Then make sure your tongue weight is about 10-15% of the trailers total weight.
This will keep you form being tongue heavy.

Allow plenty of following distance, for stopping. If you notice your brakes seemingly becoming sticky or shuddering, on the hilly areas, pull over and let them cool down. Just 20 minutes or so.

I see absolutely no reason for any worries, whatsoever, towing that little rig. The Pentastar is pretty powerful little motor and your greatest limitation will be Payload vs what that trailer weighs.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get total weight of the trailer, itself, loaded out.
Then make sure your tongue weight is about 10-15% of the trailers total weight.
This will keep you form being tongue heavy.

Allow plenty of following distance, for stopping. If you notice your brakes seemingly becoming sticky or shuddering, on the hilly areas, pull over and let them cool down. Just 20 minutes or so.

I see absolutely no reason for any worries, whatsoever, towing that little rig. The Pentastar is pretty powerful little motor and your greatest limitation will be Payload vs what that trailer weighs.

Thanks for the great advice bud. I plan on doing some updates here while on the trip. Pics included, members like that....

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tow/haul mode and expect lower mileage and you'll be good to go. The v nose will help a bit but the motor will still rev way more than usual!!

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tow/haul mode and expect lower mileage and you'll be good to go. The v nose will help a bit but the motor will still rev way more than usual!!

Tow/haul mode for sure, not expecting to break any gas milage records on this trip.