Anyone Tows With Long Tube Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
To be deleted

Please delete.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Do you have any type of after market exhaust now?

Mines plenty loud pulling hills towing.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Not with this truck, but I did with my first Ram(5.9L 1500). It was ridiculous when towing, but it was also window shaking loud when I got on it unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
On an otherwise stock engine, headers may actually take away bottom end. You have to be careful or you can hurt performance for the sake of more noise. Just my .02

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would take off that trash can size muffler first, liston to that motor with something like a Carven Progressive and go from there.
Many different types of bolt on mufflers out there that will make your truck sound like a Hemi.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^^^X2. You're stock now. If you really want headers then by all means proceed, but you don't have to leap that far to get good sound.

I just finished a road trip from Northern, Va down to Saint Simons, Ga and back with my 24" Magnaflow and 5 inch exhaust tips. --but I wasn't towing.

Set up has great exhaust note at start-up and when driving around town, but more important, no drone on the highway.

I-95 for 18 hours is bad enough, I couldn't imaging listening to exhaust drone that whole way. That'd be like watching re-runs of 12 O'clock High* in surround sound. :crazy:

* For you 30-sumpt'ns thats an old WW2 Movie and TV series about flying B-17 bombers over **** Germany.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EJR_3

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On an otherwise stock engine, headers may actually take away bottom end. You have to be careful or you can hurt performance for the sake of more noise. Just my .02
I would also do a tune along with the headers.

I would take off that trash can size muffler first, liston to that motor with something like a Carven Progressive and go from there.
Many different types of bolt on mufflers out there that will make your truck sound like a Hemi.

^^^X2. You're stock now. If you really want headers than by all means, but you don't have to leap that far to get good sound.

I just finished a road trip from Northern, Va down to Saint Simons, Ga and back with my 24" Magnaflow and 5 inch exhaust tips. --but I wasn't towing.

Set up has great exhaust note at start-up and when driving around town, but more important, no drone on the highway.

I-95 for 18 hours is bad enough, I couldn't imaging listening to exhaust drone that whole way. That'd be like watching re-runs of 12 O'clock High* in surround sound. :crazy:

* For you 30-sumpt'ns thats an old WW2 Movie and TV series about flying B-17 bombers over **** Germany.

I thought about swapping out the muffler, but that'll be just for sound. I'm considering headers since they add sound and low end kick.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would also do a tune along with the headers.

I thought about swapping out the muffler, but that'll be just for sound. I'm considering headers since they add sound and low end kick.

From my understanding the 1 5/8 would possibly help low end but the 1 3/4 wont. If you want more low end get a good tune, that will help power the most for the money. Talk with Matt at Moe's performance he can give you all the in's and outs.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I'd be careful with headers you don't want to loose any bottom end torque, if you do it don't buy cheap headers and get as small of primaries as possible. I just removed the shorty headers I had because they where really hard on the bottom end, the truck interior is also more quiet without the headers .
I use a Gibson cat back with the Y-pipe upgrade, I wouldn't want it any loader than this.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am installing headers because the factory manifolds are garbage... I don't care if I gain any performance just want to go more than 50k without having to replaced manifolds or bolts.

tim57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
I have a 2015 6.4 Power Wagon, with ARH 1 3/4 long tube headers, 19200 Magnaflow cat back exhaust and tuner. I'm loving my setup for towing my toyhauler, and don't feel any loss on the bottom end. The only down side is a bad case of Hemi foot when not towing, and loss of rubber do to much torq to the tires. Not really a problem except occasionally breaking lose when you mash the skinny pedal on wet pavement. A little scary at 70 MPH.