Choosing a hitch, questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I own a 2014 Ram 1500 express with a 5.7L Hemi.

I want to put on a durable, long lasting, heavy duty hitch, but I am not sure which I want to get.

I am thinking of either a class 4 from U-haul

or

a class 5 from etrailer.

In the sort of immediate future I plan on towing my 1980 Dodge Colt on a trailer from U-Haul for about 400 miles of driving to and then 400 miles back. This car is literally a family heirloom and it means the world to me. This is why I am not sure about the class 4 or 5.

Also, will I need to do any drilling for either of these hitches?

Any help and advice appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I can't really speak to the class 4/5 question, but I have bought several hitches from e-trailer and been very satisfied with the quality, shipping time, and customer service. I once had a problem with the shipping box breaking and the hitch getting pretty scratched up, so after I complained they sent me a can of black spray paint to touch up the paint.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need a class 5 the 1500 doesn't have the towing capacity to require it. Have you priced a MOPAR hitch ? Many dealers discount list prices and can be about the same total cost as an aftermarket. Many times the are better looking too.
Trailer and Dodge Colt can't weight all that much.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes the class 5 is very close to the price of the 4. As it was mentioned you don't need the capacity of 5. would go with a tubular Curt brand but thats just my preference.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Class 4 is plenty for the 1500. I like the factory mopar hitch as it tucks up under the bumper little better than the curt tubular one. Curt also makes one that's like $80 bucks it's the curt 13333 and it uses 3 bolts to bolt to you factory bumoer( there's a big metal tube running under the bumper) and it's a class 3/4 it's a class 3 when just used with the ball and a class 4 if you step up to a WDH witch your suppose to use over 6k lbs anyways. Its another thought.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
as everyone has said, you don't need a class V hitch for a 1500 since you'd probably have to really try to exceed a class IV hitch. Having said that, with price being close to a IV and my own need to "overkill" everything, I put a class V on my 1500. Pointless added weight but never really needed to think about the hitch or it's capability ever. Have no logical reason to put a class V hitch on my 1500, but I did. can't help myself.

anyway, if you do go with a class V, go with the Curt not the draw tite. I had severe tolerance/fitment issues with the draw tite and it seems I'm not the only one per some reviews. I returned it to etrailer and got the Curt. Plus the Curt looks much better welded and constructed. Neither needs drilling, simple bolt on.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C15572.html

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
id buy the oem hitch. its a much cleaner look and will handle more weight then you can tow with your 1500 anyway. When i bought the oem for my old express i think i paid around $200 for the whole bumper support/hitch assembly.

OP
OP
S

someguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks for the advice all. I chose to go with the Curt class 5 hitch. It does cost a little more, but it gives me that peace of mind.

Now the question is, do I install the hitch before or after I get the truck undercoated?

I was thinking after, this way the space between the hitch and frame gets undercoating too.