Electric Brake controlers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hileman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the Ram 1500 equipped with electric brake controller or do you have to add one? Dose it come with the Ram towing package? I need one for my camper which has electric brakes on it!
:happy107:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An electric brake controller is an option but it is not part of the tow package. If you look around here and on other forums you'll find that some people have problems with the factory brake controller, even to the extent that they replaced it with aftermarket ones. So non-factory appears to be the way to go. Tekonsha and maybe others have wiring harness adapters which make installation plug and play.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine came with the tow package w/factory brake controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
An electric brake controller is an option but it is not part of the tow package. If you look around here and on other forums you'll find that some people have problems with the factory brake controller, even to the extent that they replaced it with aftermarket ones. So non-factory appears to be the way to go. Tekonsha and maybe others have wiring harness adapters which make installation plug and play.

First I've heard of any issues.
I've towed fairly regularly with my Ram over the last 2 1/2 years and never had an issue with the factory controller. Works great.
It's a must have option in my opinion.

To the OP:
The factory brake controller is an optional item, but I don't think it automatically comes with the tow package. Could be wrong there.
If you decide to go with aftermarket, I had a Prodigy in my last truck that worked really well.
The Tekonsha P3 is supposed to be a really good unit, but it's a bit pricier.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
First I've heard of any issues.
I've towed fairly regularly with my Ram over the last 2 1/2 years and never had an issue with the factory controller. Works great.

Here's a big 'ol thread about it: http://www.ramforum.com/f119/brake_controller-71708/. Sounds like you'll only notice it if your trailer brakes draw more than 7v or so but I'm not 100% sure.

OP, go aftermarket and skip the factory controller for now given the issues in the linked thread. Not sure if it affects 1500s or only the HD class trucks but it's not worth the risk.

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The brake controller issue is also 15+ for some reason and bigger trailers. I don't think any of the 1500 guys have onowticed it only HD guys requiring heavy electric braking.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The brake controller issue is also 15+ for some reason and bigger trailers. I don't think any of the 1500 guys have onowticed it only HD guys requiring heavy electric braking.

I believe the programming was changed for 15 but the part # remained the same. I haven't heard any reports of 1500 guys having issues and I didn't read the whole 50+ page thread to see if there were any 1500 guys in there but if you're going to shell out cash for a brake controller, might as well get one that works all the time instead of just some of the time. I personally couldn't see spending the money on a part with a known defect even if it ends up costing me a little extra to get one that works in all situations. But in this case it's not my cash. Just wanted to inform the OP there is an issue with the factory brake controller in case it might affect him.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

It is because under 30 MPH of travel speed, the ITBM limits its output to a maximum of around 70% of the battery voltage. This affects the bigger electric brake systems that are designed to offer forcible braking at voltages above the 70%.

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 1500 QC 8sp, 3.21, Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used the Tekonsha P3 brake controller as shown by gisboro above in my 2014 RAM 1500 and later in my 2017 RAM 1500. It worked just fine in both trucks. When I moved it to the 2017 I had to buy a different interface cable. Installation was very easy. First photo is in the 2014. Second photo is in the 2017.
bqh3FjIl.jpg

4tmZELBl.jpg