Gasser or Diesel for hauling 12K?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The used market on diesels is a fckn joke atm... people are fckn ******** to pay 30k plus for a 10 year old truck with over 100k miles on it.

I get it the motor it’s self lasts for 500k- but it’s got the same weak spots as a gas motor- same hoses, belts, more expensive plugs and fuel injectors...

My 02 Chevy Silverado with 214k miles blue booked for 9.5k- no way I was going to get that on resale or trade

And yet they do. If I go to cars.com and look for 2013 through 2017 RAM Cummins, then look at Dennis Dillon's online new vehicle inventory pricing, I have to scratch my head. Realize, the prices seen for used is the asking, we have no idea what they sell for.

Diesel's don't have plugs. The Cummins has a million mile club.

Every vehicle has three prices, what you think it is worth, what the market thinks it is worth, and what a buyer will pay. The blue book services do not buy vehicles. Actual values of used vehicles are determined regionally by what they go for at auction, a number we (unfortunately) do not have access too.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The used market on diesels is a fckn joke

Yep, that's how I ended up in my Hemi. I bought a 1 year old 06 Duramax in 07, paid 28K. Put 125K miles on and sold in 2014 for 21K. The thing sold pretty much instantly. I hated to see that truck go but the use I got out of it for what I paid was just too good to be true so I took my money and ran.

I use to buy into the whole idea that used was the only way to go, let someone else take the depreciation hit. I'm not sure if I'm just a better shopper/negotiator as I get older or if the used market is just crazy (or both) but I've bought my last several cars (wife's cars too) and RVs new right off the lot and done just fine. I just can't believe what used are listed at. One problem is many people overpay when they buy then expect you to absorb their poor purchase when selling.

OP
OP
G

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
The used market on diesels is a fckn joke atm... people are fckn ******** to pay 30k plus for a 10 year old truck with over 100k miles on it. The damn thing probably barely cost 35k when originally sold. Just my opinion but the used diesel market really ****** me off when I look at trucks. I get it the motor it’s self lasts for 500k- but it’s got the same weak spots as a gas motor- same hoses, belts, more expensive plugs and fuel injectors... aside from the block and internals, the bolt ons will go long before the block does, and I think we can all agree the same can be said for a gas motor. My 02 Chevy Silverado with 214k miles blue booked for 9.5k- no way I was going to get that on resale or trade when I sold it in 2014 for my Ram.

Honestly the whole truck market is like that. I could buy something old, say 2004ishgas truck for $10-$12k with 200k miles on it, if I want to jump to the next body style, 2009ish, the price jumps to $30k+ doesn't seem to matter what the mileage is.

Found a 2018 6.4 crewcab 4wd 3.73 for $35,500 and found a 2015 cummins crew cab 4wd for $39000. They are the same truck otherwise, both tradesmans. Might as well get the diesel.

What I really need to do is go look at what the dealers can do for financing on new, as much as I hate to do that. I agree, I was always a buy used guy, but getting something new, with warranty, better finance options etc... has its benefits. I still think its going to be hard to swing a new truck financially.

Kevin

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id go gas. I saved over $10k buying my 6.4 and I know this for a fact bc my bro bought the same exact truck but with the 6.7 from the same exact dealer from the same exact sales manager. Yes having a diesel is pretty cool but like the others said for the amount you tow its not a necessity. And plus the 6.4 has more pep in its step as a daily.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wanted the Cummins, but I bought the 6.4 with the 4.10 gears. I tow a heavy rv, about 8000lbs empty and it's a good match. The 1-2 gear drop is a large gap, but once up to speed, I rarely drop into anything lower than 3rd. I two in southern West Virginia, so we have some mountains and grades. Nothing like out west, but have our fair share.

With that said, I saved money on the upgrade to a diesel and got the creature comforts since it was/is my daily driver. I love my truck and don't regret it. Are there times I want a diesel, sure, who doesn't, but the 6.4 is a beast of an engine and is super peppy empty everyday.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new cumin’s don’t have glow plugs?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The new cumin’s don’t have glow plugs?
none of the Cummins in Dodge/Ram trucks have used glow plugs, they all use an intake grid heater

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt know, thanks for the clarification.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
OP, if you can afford the diesel go with the diesel. Your tow MPGs will be much better than the gasser and your overall commute should be significately better too. It is my opinion that the 12K pound mark is starting to bleed into the diesel territory, for me, as i would start to get frustrated with steeper hills and grades out West and the gasser engines. You said you have plenty of "toys" which leads me to believe you have expendable cash for a diesel.

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Honestly I just solved this issue myself. I traded in my 2016 6.4 for a 2018 6.7. The difference in towing in crazy, my gasser had the 4.10 and would only get around 14 mpg real world gas mileage. Currently my Ctd is getting 23.7 mpg driving the same roads the same way. I use my truck to tow a camper or boat as well as a daily driver and this will be with me for a very very long time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Honestly I just solved this issue myself. I traded in my 2016 6.4 for a 2018 6.7. The difference in towing in crazy, my gasser had the 4.10 and would only get around 14 mpg real world gas mileage. Currently my Ctd is getting 23.7 mpg driving the same roads the same way. I use my truck to tow a camper or boat as well as a daily driver and this will be with me for a very very long time.

OOOOOkay.....lol

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Let me clear it for troll that is not towing that's normal driving condition.

MrR2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went from a 2011 diesel 3500 dually to a 2014 2500 6.4. Towing is a night and day difference between a gas and diesel.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just towed a 8,000lb dry travel trailer for 200 miles. I have the 6.4. I averaged 60 to 65 mph and it pulled great. Very impressed. However, it was on flat ground with winter blend gas and I only got 7.6 MPG hand calculated. This was a rental trailer. If I actually owned a travel trailer(especially a 12,000lb trailer) I would go diesel.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bro has a CTD and the best he has seen is 18 so seems like there are many discrepancies. Same goes for our 6.4s. I average 10.5-11mpgs and there are others who say they average 14-15. At the end of the day we all know the diesel is better for towing. That's not what this thread is about. The OP wants to know which would suit him best. I'd say the 6.4 with gear upgrades. But if you don't want to deal with the upgrades then just get a 3500 CTD.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Thats all pretty much what I suspected.

FWIW, it'll be my go to daily driver when not towing. A diesel seems excessive for that, but so does the whole truck. It would get used as a truck in between tow duties, occasionally pulling a 6k lbs trailer also, but nothing a half ton couldn't do.

I've regeared plenty of axles, but I'm not interested in doing that on a truck I've paid $40k+ for. I usually keep vehicles for 12+yrs and prefer to keep my daily reliable and unmodded. I've got other toys to play with.

There are a lot of variables that go into buying a truck. I'm really just interested in opinions of towing abilities at the moment. 12k lbs seems like an odd spot. I want to say that when I looked a 6.4 4.10 truck was only capable of 13k lbs roughly, whereas a diesel truck was 17k lbs. We have two diesel rams at work that we tow with and the power and braking abilities are just so awesome! Its hard to not want one, even though I may not need it.

Anyone ever shelled out the extra cash for a diesel and regretted it?

Kevin

Not me, I had a 2016 2500 6.4L with the 4.10 gears I did tow my 5th wheel that weight 11,000 lbs fully loaded it pull it like it wasn't there almost. The wife and I tow the fiver to Las Vegas which is about 1200 miles one way it wasn't bad but I was getting 7 mpg in the hills and on flat I was getting about 8 to 9 mpg.

So now that I just bought my 2017 CTD and man it is a beast, not towing around city I get 14 to 16 mpg, on the highway I got 20.5 when I first bought it and I'm sure to get better when it get broken in.

Towing since I want know until Monday because I have a 600+ miles trip coming but I figure about 11 to 12 mpg, I will let you know when I get back. I bought my CTD about a month or so now and I can say that I love it but I guess that it still too early to tell.

The DEF I had about 3/4 tank when I drove off and I have about 1700+ miles on the truck now and the DEF only move to 1/2 tank.

I got a smoking deal on the CTD I was able to get about $8000 off plus my military discount so I jump on it, I have 3.42 gears on the truck so I'm seeing good mileage oppose someone that might have 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Plenty of people have regretted buying a diesel. EPA had to set a separate standard for emergency vehicles on the use of DEF and DPF because it was effecting performance and ability too save life's. Google it... Its a fact.

I had a 2014 CTD threaten to lay down in 200 miles and started counting down. Then there's the DPF cleaning and replacement, that a real pleasure and I couldn't find anything else to spend my money on...

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
Plenty of people have regretted buying a diesel. EPA had to set a separate standard for emergency vehicles on the use of DEF and DPF because it was effecting performance and ability too save life's. Google it... Its a fact.

I had a 2014 CTD threaten to lay down in 200 miles and started counting down. Then there's the DPF cleaning and replacement, that a real pleasure and I couldn't find anything else to spend my money on...
So you are saying the new fire vehicles don't have a dpf or require def fluid?

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk