Gear Ration Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2010 2500 SLT to haul a travel trailer and it has the 3.73 gear ratio and therefore a peak towing capacity of around 9,000. We need to haul a bit over 10,000 and I was thinking of swapping the ratio to the 4.10 to improve the capacity.
How much would this cost? Is it even worth doing?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wouldn't think it isn't worth it unless you are doing a lot of stop and go driving and a lot of pulling. I would try towing it first for a season before making the decision but I'm a bit on the frugal side.

OP
OP
J

Jerry1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Boss. Do you think the truck will pull it okay with the current gear ratio?
I'm totally new to towing anything and also on the frugal side.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a 2010 2500 SLT to haul a travel trailer and it has the 3.73 gear ratio and therefore a peak towing capacity of around 9,000. We need to haul a bit over 10,000 and I was thinking of swapping the ratio to the 4.10 to improve the capacity.
How much would this cost? Is it even worth doing?

Changing the gear ratio WILL NOT INCREASE THE LEGAL TOWING CAPACITY.

It will let it tow it easier, but the legal capacity is on the door of the truck.....no matter what you do, short of paying well north of 6 figures to get it re-certified, will change that.

Hate to say it, but this is why you do research BEFORE buying the truck and/or camper.

You need to get a smaller camper/bigger truck or you will be in trouble if you ever get caught or have a wreck. You will be well over your legal limits.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm towing around 11K with my 2014 2500 Hemi with the 3.73s. I would prefer the 4.10s but I just can't imagine it's enough of a difference to justify the cost. If I were to do it I'd go for the 4.56s.

Before I got the 11K 5th wheel I did a lot of research in thinking of doing it. After driving the setup I've all but abandoned the idea. The truck really handles the weight well. And I'm out west towing lots of hills.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks Boss. Do you think the truck will pull it okay with the current gear ratio?
I'm totally new to towing anything and also on the frugal side.

I pull around an 18 foot utility with a tractor/loader/backhoe that weights in around 7700 pounds with my 1500 with 3:21 axles, no issue but the truck does have the eight speed tranny which offers lower gearing in the early gears.

The 3500 with 3:43 axles pulls our fifth wheel RV which weighs in at 15K pounds. If you read some forums, this would be impossible yet there are no problems pulling it.

Some folks have the mentality that one needs the maximum axle ratio and maximum torque to pull any trailer. I think your success is based on how often you tow and where you tow.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cost for a gear swap will depend on whether it's 4x4 or 2 wheel drive.

If you are planning to pull that weight regularly, you will really want to look into ratio change or a truck rated to tow that weight.

Also remember that anything in the truck beyond driver and fuel will count against your GCWR, effectively bringing down your trailer capacity. For example, my family, accessories and the crap we carry with to go camping eats up around 700lbs.

Basically, if you plan to tow 11k a lot, get a truck rated for more, especially if you live in or plan to tow in hilly or mountainous areas. Less critical if you live in Florida or Nebraska.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on terrain you'll be towing in and frequency you plan on towing. If flat land/small hills you may be okay a few times a year. If you're towing 6% grades and plan on towing 10 times a year or more you have the wrong truck. Where are you towing, how far and how often?