14 ram gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuckyw23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys I have a 2014 ram 1500 4x4 rcsb 5.7 sadly it has the 6 speed transmission and 3:55 gears. I’m looking to throw in a set of 4:56 gears and I know I’ll have to get a third gen front differential to swap the front to that ratio however would everything be okay if I just did the rear end gears for now aslong as I never used 4x4

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys I have a 2014 ram 1500 4x4 rcsb 5.7 sadly it has the 6 speed transmission and 3:55 gears. I’m looking to throw in a set of 4:56 gears and I know I’ll have to get a third gen front differential to swap the front to that ratio however would everything be okay if I just did the rear end gears for now aslong as I never used 4x4
Yukon has 4.56's for the front ZF diffs now.I'd unbolt the front driveshaft if you need to run it with mis-matching ratio's. You'll have to unbolt it to do the diff or gear swap anyways.

OP
OP
C

Chuckyw23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The last time I checked nobody made a gear set and carrier for the front differential so that’s really nice that Yukon does now. Why would swapping the differential be the best option if I can just replace the carrier and gears with the yukon kit ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The last time I checked nobody made a gear set and carrier for the front differential so that’s really nice that Yukon does now. Why would swapping the differential be the best option if I can just replace the carrier and gears with the yukon kit ?
Unless you're hard core off roading there's nothing wrong with your ZF front diff.The older AAM diff has a stronger case,but you really have to be beating on the truck to justify the cost of swapping the front diff. You need the older style motor mount / driveshaft / diff , and diff brackets etc to swap the diffs,plus still buy the gears,so it's not a cheap swap even if you find everything used.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The serviceable output shafts are the #1 reason

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The serviceable output shafts are the #1 reason
By now you must of seen Rick Roods video,it's been out for a few years now,the ZF shafts are totally servicable.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really dude, one shaft is 500$ and a full rebuild, one is 35$ and you dont have to take off the front diff.

Not even sure why your comparing the two. they arent even in the same league.

But hey if 500$ output shaft are your thing stick with that POS Gen 4 diff. ;)

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Really dude, one shaft is 500$ and a full rebuild, one is 35$ and you dont have to take off the front diff.

Not even sure why your comparing the two. they arent even in the same league.
You really have some funny ideas at times don't you,lol. Why fluck around with all the parts chasing to hunt up everything needed to swap to the older AAM diff,when all he has to do is swap gears in his ZF diff.Little tidbit for you,you don't have to remove the diff to do the output shaft on the passenger side,it can be done with the diff still bolted in place,but if you're swapping gears,it's probably easier to pull the diff for the gear swap,and then if his pass side shaft is bad,that's the time to do the output shaft.
You make swapping the motor mount sound easy,it's not that easy,especially if you're doing it on a driveway,and even on a lift,it's no cake walk in the park.
Yea i know you'll try to twist this around and make it seem like it's easy to swap to the older diff,and i'm gonna disagree,so lets leave it at that shall we.
Those are Canuck prices,you can find the output shaft on Amazon.com for alot less in USD.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You seem to have forgotten that I did the swap in my driveway by myself. Not in my Gucci shop. So I know how simple an easy this job is ;) .

Who the **** would do that job in the vehicle, I just looked on YT for a video and cant find one so Please show me, I wanna laugh.

Im just the type of guy who looks at maintenance and try's to figure out cheaper and best option. In this case the cheaper option is also the better option, thats why I did the Gen 3 diff. 500$ output shaft arent my cup of tea.

Either way we both have front diff that have no lockers :( so they both suck actually... lol...

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You seem to have forgotten that I did the swap in my driveway by myself. Not in my Gucci shop. So I know how simple an easy this job is ;) .

Who the **** would do that job in the vehicle, I just looked on YT for a video and cant find one so Please show me, I wanna laugh.

Im just the type of guy who looks at maintenance and try's to figure out cheaper and best option. In this case the cheaper option is also the better option, thats why I did the Gen 3 diff. 500$ output shaft arent my cup of tea.

Either way we both have front diff that have no lockers :( so they both suck actually... lol...
If you can't pop a CV , undo 4 bolts and unplug an actuator in chassis,you're not as good a wrench twister as i thought you were,lol.
Just how many times do you think the average owner is going to have to change an output shaft on either the ZF or AAM diff???
Just to throw it back at,who the hell wants to change a motor mount in chassis,on a driveway using a floorjack and 4X4 to prop the crank up. Not many guys have an engine lift to pick the engine up,and support it while you get your hands in under the engine to swap the motor mount ;)
This coming from a guy who told another guy he was crazy to pull his engine to replace a cam and oil pan,gimme a break:rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

Chuckyw23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The last time I checked nobody made a gear set and carrier for the front differential so that’s really nice that Yukon does now. Why would swapping the differential be the best option if I can just replace the carrier and gears with the yukon kit

OP
OP
C

Chuckyw23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you guys for the knowledge but the truck is a rcsb 5.7 4x4 lsd 3:55 it doesn’t see winter or dirt roads at all. So it won’t be off-roading I’m just making it into a faster daily driver, my Ported 6.4 manifold will be here next week. Going to run an 87mm throttle body , Texas speed long tubes and y pipe and 4:56. Eventually I’ll make a decision on which camshaft

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you guys for the knowledge but the truck is a rcsb 5.7 4x4 lsd 3:55 it doesn’t see winter or dirt roads at all. So it won’t be off-roading I’m just making it into a faster daily driver, my Ported 6.4 manifold will be here next week. Going to run an 87mm throttle body , Texas speed long tubes and y pipe and 4:56. Eventually I’ll make a decision on which camshaft
If it's a pavement princess,that's more street and track based then off road based,why don't you remove the front diff / front driveshaft and CV axles. You lose roughly 120 lbs off the front end,with 40 lbs of that being rotating axle weight.
Either leave the actuator plugged in and wrap it up in plastic bags ,and tie it to the steering rack , or you can use AlphaOBD to delete the dash light. Removing everything is good for at least 2/10's or more at the track.
My 4X4 hasn't had any front 4X4 pieces pretty well since it was new.
No the front wheels won't fall off with-out the cv axles,the 4X4's and 2X4's use the same front hubs.

OP
OP
C

Chuckyw23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Up here in Michigan our winters are always all over the place and normally the truck sits all winter however if it’s gets really bad I’d rather let the wife take my older ram than her car and I’ll take the pavement princess and still have 4x4 if I need it. I’m not that worried about 1/4mile times or track slips I have an 84 Monte Carlo for that I’m just looking to put together somthing that makes me smile when I drive it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Up here in Michigan our winters are always all over the place and normally the truck sits all winter however if it’s gets really bad I’d rather let the wife take my older ram than her car and I’ll take the pavement princess and still have 4x4 if I need it. I’m not that worried about 1/4mile times or track slips I have an 84 Monte Carlo for that I’m just looking to put together somthing that makes me smile when I drive it
If you have 3.55's,i'm guessing you have the RFE 6 speed,have you ever considered doing an 8 speed swap.The 8 speed is good for at least a 1/2 sec and with it's stump pulling 4.71:1 first gear,you won't really need 4.56's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517