I need to pick up 4000lbs of tile.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert95z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
2016 Ram 1500 crew sport

I have approximitly 4000lbs of tile I need to pick up. How much can I actually put in the bed without turning it into a safety issue?

I know my payload capacity is only around 1500, but could I say make 2 trips at 2000lbs a piece?

Distance I need to travel is only 2.5 miles. This is going from home depot, to my house, less than 7mins of travel time.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Check your door sticker lol. Your actual payload may be a little less, to much less than the advertised.

The truck will handle any reasonable weight you throw at it. Just keep in mind that you will get sag in the rear and if you go over the legal weight you definitely dont want to get in an accident.

Reactions: U&A

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would do three trips at 1300 ish a load depending on how far. Also, pump up the rear tires to max cold psi (44).

Reactions: U&A

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do as many trips as you can. over 1000 will make your truck almost tuck the rears! Get the load as far up as you can and drive very cautiously.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree use a dump trailer or any trailer with walls your truck will pull all of that in 1 trip home legally and its much safer just mind the tongue weight.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Home Depot delivers too don't they. I know Lowes does.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
3 trips or rent a trailer. Trailer rental is one of the most reasonable things out there. Since there's no way to track mileage you just pay a flat fee. I saved about $3000 by finding a distant dealer and hauling my wife's car home on a Uhaul trailer I rented for $55.

Deviousin10tions

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Bighorn 8ft bed SRW
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd make trips, I have a Power Wagon and even though it's a 2500 Heavy Duty it has had it's payload neutered by the off road springs. It's only rated for 1,450lbs I decided to say screw it and threw 1 ton of heater pellets in the back, did it squat? Hell yes it did but it also transferred the weight to the rear making steering light and unpredictable as well as only having about 1/2 an inch to the bump stops making the truck sway with every little road imperfection.

Readers digest:
Put too much weight in the bed
Didn't break anything
Won't ever do it again due to driving characteristics

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd do it in a few trips unless you have access to a trailer real quick. You won't like what 2000lbs per trip feels like on the back of that truck.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As someone who has overloaded the crap out of a 1500 with I don't know how much tongue weight and survived I'd say do it in 2 trips and be done. Your truck won't like it but it's only a short distance. Now if you are doing it for a half hour trip it would be different.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I say just wing-it and do it in 1 trip...It's only a few miles...Early on a sunday morning so you don't jeopardize some innocent person...Besides....Look how many idiots are hookin 9-10k# travel trailers to their 1/2 ton trucks and toolin down the highway @ 70 mph with their young familys in the truck...PLEASE post up a pic of your rig when loaded with the tile.................:happy107:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I say just wing-it and do it in 1 trip...It's only a few miles...Early on a sunday morning so you don't jeopardize some innocent person...Besides....Look how many idiots are hookin 9-10k# travel trailers to their 1/2 ton trucks and toolin down the highway @ 70 mph with their young familys in the truck...PLEASE post up a pic of your rig when loaded with the tile.................:happy107:
At least you found a new thread to troll.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd make trips, I have a Power Wagon and even though it's a 2500 Heavy Duty it has had it's payload neutered by the off road springs. It's only rated for 1,450lbs I decided to say screw it and threw 1 ton of heater pellets in the back, did it squat? Hell yes it did but it also transferred the weight to the rear making steering light and unpredictable as well as only having about 1/2 an inch to the bump stops making the truck sway with every little road imperfection.

Readers digest:
Put too much weight in the bed
Didn't break anything
Won't ever do it again due to driving characteristics

I have 2500 mega I put 1 ton of wood pellets in my bed and dragged them 160miles home and they still didn’t squat the truck to lvl. ^ my biggest fear with going aftermarket softer springs... just got to decide if I haul enough or not.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Bad advice. How did you get unbanned?

OP, I just re-read that you are a only a couple miles from the store, so I could see that you may be trying to skip the delivery charge. I would think that much tile would include free delivery?

I drop my 1k tongue travel trailer on my 1500 just to drag it home from storage less than a mile away. OEM hitch is rated for 1100 lbs (with or without WD hitch)

Granted the weight is way behind the axle and not over it, but it leaves the truck with 2" of space above the bump stops. No weird handling at all. What surprised me a bit is the 1/2 clearance on the front suspension bump stops when empty. So three trips at roughly 1300 lbs over the rear axle, you should be good to go IMO.