Lift kits, Larger tires, and their impact..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on my TT.. 5200lb Dry, so well within my capacity with my 3.55's, etc.

I need new tires soon.. And i'd like to put a 4" Maxtrac lift on the truck and upgrade to 35's.

How will this change my capability of towing this TT?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can still do it, but it will suck a lot more gas, and be a lot slower, not to mention stopping will take more distance too.

Bigger tires are not good for mpg, acceleration, or fast stopping, and you want to tow a 5k+ trailer too ????

Like I said, it will do it, but it will be a lot more 'interesting' than it would stock.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You caqn still do it, but it will suck a lot more gas, and be a lot slower, not to mention stopping will take more distance too.

Bigger tires are not good for mpg, acceleration, or fast stopping, and you want to tow a 5k+ trailer too ????

Like I said, it will do it, but it will be a lot more 'interesting' than it would stock.

hit the nail on the head. also, keep in mind you can add weight to that trailer fast once you start loading it, plus the added weight of your new tires/wheels, people, cargo, etc. you could find yourself very close to the max capacity of your truck very quickly.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your torque convertor will thank you if you regear.

I ran 35s on my F series with the 3.55s and the six speed. I was worried the trailer was going to pull me back down the hills at times :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt you will see any drastic losses. You'll be fine.

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Argh. Yeah, i figured this was going to be the case. I guess i'd have to choose one - go taller, or go camping.

I would LOVE to regear.. but.. $2-3K+ at least right? I'd love some 4.56's and call it a day. But, dont think its a venture i can afford right this minute. The good news is that i'm 2WD, so i got that going for me.

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Argh. Yeah, i figured this was going to be the case. I guess i'd have to choose one - go taller, or go camping.

I would LOVE to regear.. but.. $2-3K+ at least right? I'd love some 4.56's and call it a day. But, dont think its a venture i can afford right this minute. The good news is that i'm 2WD, so i got that going for me.

For a 2wd:
$700 for a machined rear carrier
$500 for gear set + master install kit
$300-400 for labor
Total is around $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
For a 2wd:
$700 for a machined rear carrier
$500 for gear set + master install kit
$300-400 for labor
Total is around $1500

Thats actually.. not half bad...

Would it affect tow capacity at all?

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Makes no difference with your capacity, but it will make it easier on the truck to tow.

That $700 is for a new LSD carrier already machined from fasthemiram12.. If you have a good shop around you they may be able to machine your current carrier for much less

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

In reality, it would raise your towing capacity, but since you truck was built as it is, there is no legal way to raise the towing capacity without spending a lot of money (like more than a new truck lot)

The numbers for the as built specs are what you are stuck with.