Like Input concering towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullpen56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hi Everyone. I have a 2015, 1500 Diesel 4X4 Big Horn with the tow package. I would like input on the timbren suspension or the firestone air bags. I plan to tow a toy hauler either a 19' or 21'. I put on a set of the LTs Bridgstones KO2. and any advice you might have concerning towing. This is my first 1/2 ton Ram truck, I've always had a 3/4 ton diesels in the past. I'm retired and plan to tow for most of the year. I'm only hauling my 09 Ultra Classic H.D.

Thanks so much..

Doug

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone. I have a 2015, 1500 Diesel 4X4 Big Horn with the tow package. I would like input on the timbren suspension or the firestone air bags. I plan to tow a toy hauler either a 19' or 21'. I put on a set of the LTs Bridgstones KO2. and any advice you might have concerning towing.
Nothing out of the ordinary, you'll need a WDH. There a forum just for the Ram 1500 Diesel, lots of good advice from guys that tow with their EcoDs full time.
There is a group buy for Total Load Control(price $329) airbags going on in that forum also, but it ends this Friday 10/30. PM me if you can't find the information.
http://www.totalloadcontrolsuspensions.com/TLCforDodgeRam1500CoilSpring.aspx

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I would upgrade the rear springs as first option, add air bags as a second option, then Timbrens as a last resort. I hated them. JMHO

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to suggest -wait for it. Literally wait ! until you know what TT or Toy your going with. Then decide if you need to make changes. -always with safety first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My observation is you not gonna like towing full time with your current truck. I base this on 2 things , you came from a 3/4 diesel . 1500 's don't pull travel trailers well . You do have a small tt listed so it maybe tolerable , but most likely not enjoyable .

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From personal experience, my 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 hemi pulls our 5000lb 25' trailer just fine and comfortably. Also, I tried the Timbrens first and do not recommend them; much too hard a ride. I now have air bags in the rear coils and they work just fine. But had I know now what I have learned from a zillion posts written by others with experience, I would have gotten the Tuffsprings first with the variable rate as they seem to have a better stock ride and then stiffen up with weight and towing. Have fun!

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
your getting a toy hauler so the weight in the back will help some with the sag on the bumper IMO.... BUT toy haulers over all are typically heavy. Depending on how you load it the air lift 1000's for the money may be all you need. I agree on waiting until you get the trailer and go from there. The Timbren bump stops suck ass and ride horrible. I have them. The length you're looking at shouldn't weigh a lot so the truck will be fine pulling it. I've loaded up a tad on the heavy side a few times and my 1/2 ton did fine....:roflsquared:

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Air bags and go. Have fun.

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful when selecting a "1/2 ton towable" toy hauler. Some have low empty tongue weight and this if made worse when the toy is loaded in behind the trailer axles!!! My father's Stryker 2912 was mfr rated with just over 700 lbs tongue weight and just over 7,000 total weight. It looks really good on paper for somebody with a 1500. Only problem is if you loaded anything in garage area it would sway terrible and try to wag his 3500 drw cummins. His rzr had to be loaded as far as he could back it in, almost in the kitchen.

My WnP on the other hand is mfr rated 1621 and 8340. But, mine has an optional Onan 4400 that is way up on the tongue. It has a realistic tongue weight closer to 2k. I can load my RAZR in the very back and it tows straight as an arrow. 2 RZR is no issue. Problem is the tongue weight and total trailer weight had my 2500 hemi at both GVWR and GCWR.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You don't mention a trailer or tongue weight, but I don't think a 19' to 21' trailer would be more than about 5,000-6,000lbs.
Your truck should pull that nicely without any need for modifications.

As crash suggested, you're going to want a weight distribution hitch to keep your load nice and level and prevent porpoising.

If your truck has the integrated brake controller, you're off and running. Otherwise you'll need to have one put in.

The only other thing worth mentioning is making sure the trailer load is distributed properly.
That can make all the difference in the world.
On a bumper pull your tongue weight shouldn't exceed about 10 to 15% of your gross trailer weight.

If you regularly travel in very windy regions, you could also look into getting a sway control setup, but that's overkill in my opinion.
I often pull about 7,000lbs (27' long travel trailer) through the Rockies and have never felt unsafe without one.

Safe travels!