Looking at new/used truck for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, all I've ever owned are Dodge trucks going back to 1979 when my dad bought a brand new Power Wagon 150 for $6900 IIRC; loved that truck and towed my race cars everywhere with it. I still have a 1982 Dodge D350 4 door (had it for 20 years), 360 4spd one ton, 4:10 gear with 100k on the odometer. Sad to see it sit (body in great shape), and even thought about restoring it, but have been contemplating on moving up to the modern era.

We also have a 2003 Dodge Durango and 2006 Quad Cab Dakota.

Ok, here's the deal. I've been reading threads on whether to go for the Cummins or Hemi. A guy at work has had 3 Cummins diesels in the last 10 years or so. He loves them, but must love perpetually sending out a big payment each month for life.

There is no argument from me that the Cummins is at the top of the heap for Dodge trucks. However, my old one ton with that little 360 would haul anything I threw at it, and it didn't matter if it was loaded with 70 bales of hay, big camper with a boat behind, or empty, the darn thing would get 12 mpg (10 when it got older), and never squatted. Sure the engine was screamin' at 60 mph, but when towing heavy I never liked going fast even in my young care free days. Yes, I understand there's no comparison between the Cummins and 360, just sayin'.

My Power Wagon 150 (RIP) my dad passed to me was a work horse for a 1/2 ton even from way back then in 1979.

These days, the power these newer designed engines are producing is phenomenal, and they actually are detuned at the factory. My company does dyno testing for Cummins and build assembly and test lines for the Big 3. We also did the R&D on the new Cummins diesel V8 slated to be available next year.

I digress.

What's my beef? I haven't had a truck payment.....ever! However, now that our daughter is big into horse shows, our transportation options have changed, so next year we'll be needing our own rig and will be doing a lot of traveling, and we're seriously considering getting a nice new or used Dodge. Now that I've been hit with the sticker shock (can buy a Mercedes for the prices of the decked out Big Horn diesel, wow), and my BP has lowered, we need to make a decision.

Side note: I considered restoring the old D350 beast, drop a crate motor in, throw on a paint job, but it has no AC and as everyone knows, back then, trucks were TRUCKS.

We haven't decided on what type of trailer (GN or bumper), as that will determine whether we want to have GN horse trailer with living quarters ($$$) or rough it. The other option is to use a popup camper on the pickup and tow a lighter weight aluminum trailer. Gross weight estimate would probably be around 5000-6000.

Today at the Dodge dealer, they had a 2012 3500 Cummins 4 door ST long bed with 13k miles, like new condition for $40,000. They also had a 2008 2500 Cummins with 110k, excellent condition, beautiful black (my fav color) and more bells/whistles for $28,000. Sound about right?

OTOH, I can get a brand new 1500 with 5.7 Hemi for under $33000 (when Fall markdowns come) which includes the tow package and 3.73 (?) gear.

Here's my concern about the 1500 Hemi; I don't like squatting trucks and question whether the 1/2 tons can handle a 2-3k miles/year of traveling during the next 4 years loaded down. I'm probably wrong, but coils just don't seem to have the capacity of leaf suspension, but am willing to be educated otherwise.

Bottom line: I don't mind paying extra for the diesel IF the ROI is worth it in fuel mileage savings. Does the diesel get that much better mpg over a 1500 or 2500 with the Hemi? We can handle a new 1500/2500 (great deals coming this winter), but $50-60k+ for a new diesel? Whew, the payments would be over $600 even with a sizable down payment.

We want to purchase before interest rates start climbing, meaning by end of the year.

Thanks for your consideration.

Dustinmc15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience with the 1500 Ram Hemi has been great. It would easily pull the 6k trailer your looking at without too much struggle. The coil springs do squat more than leafs but adding an $80 set of airbags solves the problem. Gas mileage while towing won't be great, but not much lower than a non deleted 6.7 cummins. I recently towed a 24 ft enclosed trailer loaded to 8k lbs and averaged 9 mpg over 1300 miles, from posts I've seen the 6.7 cummins gets about 11 mpg pulling a load of that size.

Here is a link to my complete review.

http://www.ramforum.com/f119/ram_1500_towing_performance_report-38013/

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went through the exact same quandry last summer. Looked at everything I could find. I was pulling 8000 pounds with a 2010 GMC 2500 with the 6.0 gas motor. Got 7 mpg, rode like a buckboard, bounced like a yoyo, and my wife hated the seats and the ride.

Test drove diesels and gas trucks, and concentrated as much on the ride as the engine. I almost pulled the trigger on a used cummins, but my research showed the 6.7, while a real towing machine, is not that great on mpg....either towing or unloaded.

Anyway, I settled on a 2013 ram 2500 hemi. It does great for my needs. As a daily driver I get 19.5 mpg hiway unloaded, and have got as high as 22.1!!!!!

Towing 8000+ poinds, I get a consistent 9.7-10.2. Mostly flat land in Illinois, but went thru the Ozark mtns in Missouri and never had a problem....the GMC would have been spinning at 4000+ rpms, but the hemi never went over 3600 or so on hills.

So, it does everything I want it to do, and has a great ride for a 3/4 ton truck. I paid just over $34k brand new in July, and could probably get it a little cheaper now.

Good luck on your new ride!,

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
first, i would make your decision on the trailer. then buy the truck that best suits your needs. i would hate to buy a truck and then limit myself to trailer options and not be happy/comfortable.

on a side note of cummins vs. hemi, if your sole reason for buying the cummins is to get better fuel economy and even out the added cost of the diesel, your probably better off not buying it. while it does get better mileage (especially when towing), it will be a while before you see any savings. you should want to buy the diesel for the way it handles the load, and ease of towing. im not saying the hemi isnt capable, its just different.

RANJR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 or 6.7
Don't overlook the new 6.4 Hemi in the HDs! I drove one last night and it had plenty of power! Here is a video I took of it on the interstate showing MPG - 2014 Ram 2500 MPG

The issue with the 1500s is payload. It's nearly impossible to run out of trailer capacity before payload. I had an '09 and it rode on the bumps tops pulling my 8.5x16 enclosed trailer empty.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't overlook the new 6.4 Hemi in the HDs! I drove one last night and it had plenty of power! Here is a video I took of it on the interstate showing MPG - 2014 Ram 2500 MPG

The issue with the 1500s is payload. It's nearly impossible to run out of trailer capacity before payload. I had an '09 and it rode on the bumps tops pulling my 8.5x16 enclosed trailer empty.

That's sad. My 1500 gets almost identical mileage as that 2500.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
first, i would make your decision on the trailer. then buy the truck that best suits your needs. i would hate to buy a truck and then limit myself to trailer options and not be happy/comfortable.

Danny nailed it! I have friends that do the barrel riding/rodeo thing. For the amount of time you will be spending in the road you want to be comfortable... Both where you sleep and on the drive there...

My 1500 was very capable and pulled our 7500 lb TT very well. (So i thought until i pulled it with the 2500). I bought my 2500 for many reasons, but mostly because of the look. I got a Cummins because that's what was in it. MPGs sucked until I deleted but now I am getting the same daily as I was with my 1500 and much better pulling our TT. Now when we upgrade TTs in a few years I still have plenty of truck to pull it. I could not justify the Cummins based on fuel savings but thanks to the deal that I got I didn't have to.

Best of luck on your decision :)

tap tap tappa-roo