Towing with a 2013 with 3.21's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilgamesh

Reaction score
Ram Year
No truck yet
Engine
No truck yet
Hi all. I'm looking at getting a new (to me) Ram, its a 2013 with 3.21's, the 8 speed and the 5.7, CC, Laramie. Looking to get a travel trailer this summer, to go with the new truck.

Looking at Chrysler's numbers, the tow rating for the combination I am looking at bumps from 6,400 lbs to 7,750 for 2014.

Through searches on here, I've read that the parking pawl was upgraded on the transmission for 2014, but not much else. Is that really all there is to it? What else changed, or are the Chrysler's ratings just conservative for 2013?

I'm looking at a trailer that's going to come in at about 6,500-6,700 lbs loaded. My estimates are based on the dry, optioned weight of the rig we're looking at: 5,897 per the selling dealer.

Am I ok with a 2013 with this combo, or should I sit tight for a 2014?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hi all. I'm looking at getting a new (to me) Ram, its a 2013 with 3.21's, the 8 speed and the 5.7, CC, Laramie. Looking to get a travel trailer this summer, to go with the new truck.

Through searches on here, I've read that the parking pawl was upgraded on the transmission for 2014, but not much else.

I'm looking at a trailer that's going to come in at about 6,500-6,700 lbs loaded. My estimates are based on the dry, optioned weight of the rig we're looking at: 5,897 per the selling dealer.

Am I ok with a 2013 with this combo, or should I sit tight for a 2014?

The parking pawl issue was with the transmission used on the Pentastar V6 engine, the 8HP45 transmission.

I have a 2013 RAM, equipped the same as the one you mentioned. I tow an 18 foot utility flatbed trailer with my tractor on it, tow weight varies based on how the tractor is equipped but with the backhoe, I'm up to 7,200 pounds. The truck doesn't have any issues puling it. The additional gears in the eight speed transmission makes the difference.

Also keep in mind, I'm towing locally and I'm seldom on the expressways and I also don't get the wind loading an RV will. Based on where you are going to be towing and how often is the real factor. If you are going to take the occasional weekend and two week vacation trips I would say you are good, use a weight distribution hitch. If you are looking at full-timing, you would be better in a bigger truck.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a 28ft trailer, with similar configuration and have no problem. Yes- the 8-speed does make the difference.
you need a Weight Distribution Hitch anyway- add a sway bar to it, with this length you'll need it.
does the truck come with the brake controller? if not- I paid on my old truck, which I sold, for hitch receiver, brake controller, 7pin connector and wiring, Curtis WD hitch, sway bar and install ~$1000.00

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Payload is the most important number. Run the VIN through here to get specs VIN Decoder. Let's say your payload is 1600lbs and your tongue weight is 1,000. Now add the family and a dog (400lbs) and you have 200lbs left for firewood and beer :favorites13:

I have a 30' TT that runs around 7,000 loaded and I towed it with my 1/2 ton Silverado with 9100lb towing capacity and I hated it. Granted, it was a GM product :puke: and not a HEMI but you want to enjoy the experience and not be white knuckling the entire trip.

My guess is you will be fine but make sure you have a aux tranny cooler. Good luck!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Capacity is the big thing. You are not going to need a auxiliary transmission cooler with this 8 speed.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a lot of trailer for that truck. It will tow it, but I don't think you will like it. Dry weight is a useless number. Gross weight is the primary figue, plus add in your gear and passengers. You definitely need WD and anti sway. I recommend Reese dual cam straightline. Brake controller also mandatory.

OP
OP
G

Gilgamesh

Reaction score
Ram Year
No truck yet
Engine
No truck yet
I pull a 28ft trailer, with similar configuration and have no problem. Yes- the 8-speed does make the difference.
you need a Weight Distribution Hitch anyway- add a sway bar to it, with this length you'll need it.
does the truck come with the brake controller? if not- I paid on my old truck, which I sold, for hitch receiver, brake controller, 7pin connector and wiring, Curtis WD hitch, sway bar and install ~$1000.00

This trailer is a 28 footer, and I would absolutely run a WD and sway control setup. The truck does have the factory installed brake control. We'd be pulling 1-2 weekends a month between April and September, with one or two week long trips in there. Otherwise, it will also be my DD, but obviously unloaded. I'm a desk jockey.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This trailer is a 28 footer, and I would absolutely run a WD and sway control setup. The truck does have the factory installed brake control. We'd be pulling 1-2 weekends a month between April and September, with one or two week long trips in there. Otherwise, it will also be my DD, but obviously unloaded. I'm a desk jockey.

I think you're all set. hope your worries are out of order now.

We pull our camper the same way- to the lake almost every second weekend and in summer one big trip to the beach - 4 hour drive. In fall we're pulling it up the hill to Gatlinburg and also - no problems.

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Laramie will have low payload as the options all weigh something. What terrain will you be towing in? Flat lands or hills you'll be fine. If towing in the mountains all the time you may want 3.92s. That truck will work great but will need bags or stiffer coils.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Laramie will have low payload as the options all weigh something. What terrain will you be towing in? Flat lands or hills you'll be fine. If towing in the mountains all the time you may want 3.92s. That truck will work great but will need bags or stiffer coils.

Nah- it'll work. my trailer has 850# tongue weight and with weight distribution it works just fine. with tow package there are factory hd shocks already in.
For recreational use, he's fine. But you're right with the payload. on the other hand- I don't think that 100# more or less matter, when you drive. The truck will not notice it.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah my payload is only 1395 and I have an express. Granted it's a loaded express with stock airbags so I'm not real concerned if I go over but that's what I'm rated at. I think they way under rate them as well, but I hate towing not level.