2013 Ram 1500 Front gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PACOMAN17

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with 3.21 gear ratio. I pull a boat every weekend and want to add a 4" lift kit and 35's. I know I need to change the gearing to keep the truck from being a dog once the lift and tires are installed. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the front gear kit from yukon gears? https://www.yukongear.com/shop/yg-c215r-411k
I've search and have not found any forums of anyone using this kit. Everything I found said they either swapped with 3.92 or installed a used 8" from a 2009-2011. Any information would be appreciated.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this doesn't really answer the original question, but would recommend installing the tires and trying it out before getting too deep in the gear swap discussion. Sure, the gear swap will make it feel better but you might decide it's not worth the time and money. If it pulls fine now it's not like the truck won't be able to pull the boat at all with the 35's or cause any issues if you do it a few times.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Front gear in the 2012 and up are not regearable, welded together from the factory. So your options are used diff in the factory gear ratios, or 3rd gen swap and then regear.

OP
OP
P

PACOMAN17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Front gear in the 2012 and up are not regearable, welded together from the factory. So your options are used diff in the factory gear ratios, or 3rd gen swap and then regear.

Yukon gear released a kit in June of this year that includes the ring and pinion as well as the carrier and all the bearings.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yukon gear released a kit in June of this year that includes the ring and pinion as well as the carrier and all the bearings.
Well that's news to me!

Daniel12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Did you end up installing this? If so, how difficult was it? Was it a straight swap

OP
OP
P

PACOMAN17

Reaction score
Ram Year
I know this is late to the game, but thanks to you it was a blessing finding the yukon kit. Did you get around to installing it and can you let me know how it went. Please give me all the details. Thank you
I work at a Chrysler dealership, but I have done very few differential setups. My coworker help me and it was bad. I didn't take any pictures along the way . Yukon gear gave me the specs ring gear bolts are 3/8" so 55 ft/lb
13-15 in/lb turning torque
b/l is 6-10 thousands.

The hardest part imo was getting the case back together. Since there's no way to spread it and I couldn't really measure the overall length of the gear, I set backlash and pattern and guessed on shim thickness for side bearing preload. It's been in the truck for 3 weeks but hasn't been put in 4x4 because I still need to do the rear.