engine brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheepdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I'm new here. I have a 09 duramax now. In the last while I have had the pleasure of driving and riding in a few dodges. I have fell in love with them. While the duramax does a good enough job it's just not the truck the dodges are in my opinion.
My question in my search for a dodge is I would like to know when they started to put the engine brake in them from the factory.

Thanks in advance,
sheepdr

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know 09's had the option of a factory exhaust brake not exactly sure when they started offering it. All of my fleet trucks at work; all various 5.9L Cummins, have had a jacobs brake installed by the dealer on purchase and they all work great.

OP
OP
S

sheepdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, it's just that after trying to get this duramax to do what I want I'm trying to get away from the hi dollar add ons. Like for the turbo brake and dpf delete pipe it's just under a thousand. Well I could cry the blues all day. Thanks again.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I posted in your other thread about this.
2007.5 + 6.7's all come with an exhaust brake. It's done through the turbo by restricting the exhaust flow.
If you get an earlier one I would make sure the truck has been updated electronically and has had the turbo replaced already. Cleaning them seems like it was more of a band aide than a fix. I have heard of a lot of them eventually being replaced after the dealer cleaned them. I believe they got most of the bugs worked out by 2009.
Use the brake often as it will help keep the vanes on the turbo clean and help prevent it from sticking.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last "Big Truck" I drove was a 2013 Volvo.

This is the setup they used for an "engine brake".

It was pretty cool (and efficient) that I could use it where it was stated "No engine braking" because it wasn't loud.