Suspension helpers on 1500 Hemi with gooseneck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Want a bigger dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 04 1500 Hemi shortbed 2WD with a draw tite gooseneck hitch. My question is, what is the best option to have better support suspension wise. Currently it's just original leaf springs. I've had a few places tell me airbags would be the best option but I haven't found any compatible with the gooseneck brackets. The other 2 options I have been told about is the timbren kit(bumpers basically), or helper leaf springs. My thought is the helper springs would be better just wondering if anyone had any advice. We pull a 2 horse with sleeping quarters. Weighs somewhere between 2-2,500 lbs. looking to strengthen the suspension without making it a rough ride. I know there's going to be plenty of people saying you can't pull the trailer with the truck. We do just find it's just the owner before us weighed it down with too much creek rock. We're wanting to replace the lead springs as well as use some sort of helper (helper springs, timbren kit, etc) If anyone knows of other options (besides a bigger truck) that would be great. thanks for the help in advance.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get new leaf springs as well as an air bag kit. I've seen them for sale at lmc truck, or just google it. I'm sure someone who has a kit will chime in.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
1500 frames weren't designed for gooseneck hitch which is why your not finding any airbag systems that are compatible.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If I was going with a Gooseneck hitch, I would have to be putting it into the bed of a Dodge Ram 3500 with diesel engine and automatic transmission.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing wrong with a goose neck on a 1500 as long as he does not exceed his legal tow limits which will vary with location and insurance coverage. I think you can make air bags work even with your mounts it may take a little grinding cutting or custom mount on top. Its your best bet with the most adjust ability and unloaded will be the same.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
A helper spring is probably your best bet. My main question is the weight of that trailer. You said 2 horse trailer with living quarters is 2-2500lbs? That's probably just what your horses weigh.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A helper spring is probably your best bet. My main question is the weight of that trailer. You said 2 horse trailer with living quarters is 2-2500lbs? That's probably just what your horses weigh.
I think hes saying thats the pin weight?

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
^ Yikes! If that's the pin weight, that's really pushing it for a half ton, no? [emoji15]

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah that would be pretty dangerous. I dont know of any local laws that allow you to go that far over your legal ratings.

Last edited: