1987 power ram turning over real slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 1987 Dodge power ram 318 to restore with son. when I try to start it turns over real slow then kills battery. It is a new battery so took it to AutoZone they said battery is fine and charged it. Put it in truck and it turned over real slow then install a short time battery seamed dead. Can any one help please

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dsexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RC Express (sold) 2017 Ram RC Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Still sounds like a weak or bad battery to me. If you turn the headlights on when you try to start it do the headlights get really dim, or go off? You could also try jump starting it to eliminate the battery.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will try headlights in a minute. I tried to jump right after I got back from Auto zone cranked real slow would not start

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would like to say Thanks I am new here.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trued to start and when lights where on and they did go dim

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to start with light and they went dim. New battery with fresh charge. It checked good at Auto zone

dsexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RC Express (sold) 2017 Ram RC Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you try jumping with another running vehicle? Headlights dimming indicates a weak battery, or bad / loose battery terminals. Specifically the ground or negative terminal.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did try with another car no help I had the terminals on tight

Jeffb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
I just got a 1987 Dodge power ram 318 to restore with son. when I try to start it turns over real slow then kills battery. It is a new battery so took it to AutoZone they said battery is fine and charged it. Put it in truck and it turned over real slow then install a short time battery seamed dead. Can any one help please

Install a new ground wire to the body and the motor of the proper gauge. To test my theory i would jump start it but to the motor with the jumper ground. Could even be a bad positive wire to the starter or starter solenoid not grounded proper due to corrosion or dirt.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Install a new ground wire to the body and the motor of the proper gauge. To test my theory i would jump start it but to the motor with the jumper ground. Could even be a bad positive wire to the starter or starter solenoid not grounded proper due to corrosion or dirt.

Good luck.

Thanks, I will try it out tomorrow. Will let you know

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Good luck.

I put new ground wires on truck when I tried to start a little out of smoke came from firewall

Jeffb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
I put new ground wires on truck when I tried to start a little out of smoke came from firewall

That is where your problem is then. You hope. You now be able to find the problem by just looking for the melted wire or wires. Go on youtube and search "how to trace burnt wires" that should put you in the right direction.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK today got new ground battery cable and still did same thing but it definitely needed it. the outside of wire was dry rotted. So then took starter off got a rebuilt one she cranked right up.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks every one! Spent $9.90 on cable's $50.00 on starter. And our restore begin. We are so happy!

Jeffb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 v6
OK today got new ground battery cable and still did same thing but it definitely needed it. the outside of wire was dry rotted. So then took starter off got a rebuilt one she cranked right up.

Awesome! glad to hear it. Was gonna suggest checking the starter after talking to a friend that had the same problem on his 97 ram.

OP
OP
bozeblake

bozeblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Jeffb the little smoke there was a lose wire on fire wall fixed it.