Starter turning over fine but won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garrett_brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have a 2012 1500, 5.7. Battery is probably 3+ years old and read 11.94 volts on my ODB. Starter is original and I have 227k on the truck.

3 weeks ago I tried to start it and the starter will turn, sounds normal but it just doesn’t engage. Turned it five or six times and then it started up and I actually forgot about it until it happened again today.

Same symptom, turning over sounds fine just won’t engage. I tried jumping it and it fired right up. My assumption was a bad battery. Took it in and they hooked it up to a battery reader. They couldn’t get it to read anything and got an error that a system was running even though the truck was off and I was holding the key. I thought that maybe my interior led light could be the problem since it will sometimes stay on for a couple of minutes, even though it’s turned off. I turned it off manually and the test worked. It said my battery is OK as are the starter and alternator…supposedly.

I was able to start it a few times without a problem. Drove 45 minutes on the freeway then turned it off and tried firing it up again and had the same problem. Once again I jumped it and it fired right up. So I’m guessing that maybe the battery is bad, or maybe it isn’t supplying enough juice to the solenoid to engage the bendix? I’m not sure if that’s even possible. I’m stumped and hoping you folks can share some insight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat