Need advice just bought

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ycc456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
So basically Just bought an 88 Ramcharger 4x4 ( 4 speed 318 )
I bought it from a friend of my dad's shop ( I'm 18 it is my 3rd 4x4 I had a 95 bronco and a 2000 land rover that I've bought and sold previously and currently also have a 99 firebird for the summer and this is my winter vehicle in Colorado ) anyways the interior is really clean everything is there for the most part missing an armrest on the back seat. Seats are in good condition dash isn't cracked radio works. And it's all clean.
Now where I need ADVICE. It has a bit of a mechanical issue the guy we bought it from is coming over to fix it at no charge tomorrow he said that he is 99% certain all it needs is a new throttle position sensor. He said that it has a flat spot on it. It runs perfect and smoothe when it's floored but struggles and jerks and tries to die at low rpms. It say for a couple years after he stopped using it so replaced the fuel filter flushed the bad gas out and all that before we bought it so wanted to see your opinions on what that could be and if you think he's right.
Also it has arround 300000 miles but runs perfect at higher rpms. I only paid 1200 bucks for it so I figured I would just buy it and pretty much drive the 318 until it stops and then I found a new 318 for 850 or a new 360 for 1100 for when it eventually goes out.
The only other things it needs is that the sunroof was caulked shut..... Guessing because it leaked so going to fix that and then fix a few small rust spots but the body is really straight and the paint is overall good. It also leaks coolant I'm going to have him find out where when he comes tomorrow .
I know it's long but thank you for reading and any opinions
f871a5fa7b45e98b038b7f520904fb76.jpg
52f689be9535924db5ca567584c1be02.jpg
08843408baf639f87ec62aba802b864d.jpg

965e4da2862d0300f96a01a9766083c2.jpg
c02f19c71cfb1158c188c5d6852b86b3.jpgfaed29bf458f11964c5e7f9ea47b1e5c.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

ramanator

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 1999, 1995, and 1984
Engine
Hemi 5.7, two 318s and a 360
Good lookin truck

woody31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Special Service Vehicle
Nice ridevat avgreat price,!! Cycle the key on and off 3 times with the motor off, 3rd time leave key on and count the blinks on the check engine light. That will give you the code for then issue/s you have. Coolant leak could be bad water pump or a hose. Good luck.

OP
OP
Y

ycc456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Nice ridevat avgreat price,!! Cycle the key on and off 3 times with the motor off, 3rd time leave key on and count the blinks on the check engine light. That will give you the code for then issue/s you have. Coolant leak could be bad water pump or a hose. Good luck.
Got the main issue fixed now into the coolant leak. He said it sat for probably 3 years and his best guess is that it's the freeze plug back by the transmission. He wants us to take it to his shop and have it out on a list so he can be sure.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Sitting for years is bad on any vehicle - definitely get that freeze plug checked.

While you're at it - drain, flush, and refill EVERYTHING. @ 300k miles, it's just good preventative maintenance. Replace ALL belts, hoses, and filters. Check your radiator for scale. If you find any, replace it AND the water pump. Flush the engine until the water runs CLEAR - preferably for SEVERAL minutes.

Flush the engine with some CRC engine boil before changing the oil - find out if you're leaking oil through any seals. Run hotter wires and plugs when you change those - get more performance out of your engine. Get a hotter coil, too. Replace the starter and the distributor while you're at it. Replacing everything ON the engine, will let you know - quickly - whether you need to replace anything IN the engine.

Mine sat for 6 years (there's a build thread on it around here somewhere.... :think:), and while it wasn't cheap following this very advice, no one EVER regretted preventative maintenance. The issues with mine since have been related to the lift (steering, driveshafts, re-gearing, transmission), and not the engine.

Be careful UN-doing that sunroof. LOVE the one in my Jeep - glad I DON'T have one in the RC. Sunroofs were mostly a "miss & miss" proposition back in those days. If it ain't broke, DON'T encourage it!

Switch to manual hubs - no RC owner ever regretted it. Consider deleting the CAD and locking the axle. With manual hubs, it'll still freewheel, and you'll pick up at least 1mpg on the highway!

Watch for water leaks into your doors AND your hatch. If your seals are dry-rotted, RTV sealant can help, if you don't want a full on restoration of your doors.

Don't know where you're located, but if you're ever bored - but short on cash - get underneath it, scrape the frame with a wire brush, and Rustoleum it. It's good for the truck, cheap to do, GOOD preventative maintenance, you're 30 years younger than me, so physically it's EASIER to do :eek:, and you won't regret it in the long haul. If you really get bored, take your waste oil, and then PAINT the underside with it. Oil will "eat" dirt & dust, as you'll have ANOTHER layer of protection from the elements. You CAN'T hurt an old Dodge with oil :roflsquared:, and you might just help it!

If you go with true duals, keep your pipe & mufflers SMALL - 2 1/4." A) True duals are hard to snake through the undercarriage on the RC (although with a NP435 tranny, you'll have a little more room), and B) you also don't want to blow all your torque out the exhaust with BIG pipes! The 318 likes smaller pipes (you can STILL go with glasspacks - I did. :naughty: Because of emission inspections here, I ALSO had to add 2 cats - JEGs Hi-po models, though), as it keeps the power in the right RPM band. You'll still sound like a 340 Dodge Demon coming or going, so your manhood will remain intact. :smoke2:

If you're not lifting it, your factory axles (gear ratio) will be fine. With the 4-spd, you're probably at 3.21 anyways. Even with 33's, BECAUSE you have the 4 spd., you should still be OK. I wouldn't go over 35's on the factory axles, and you might want 3.92 or 4.10 gearsets by then. Run the beefiest brakes you can get, regardless! I have drilled/slotted rotors in mine up front.

The 318 runs fine on cheap gas - keep us posted on how it performs, and any mods you add. :waytogo: :welcome: to the club.

OP
OP
Y

ycc456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 v10
Sitting for years is bad on any vehicle - definitely get that freeze plug checked.

While you're at it - drain, flush, and refill EVERYTHING. @ 300k miles, it's just good preventative maintenance. Replace ALL belts, hoses, and filters. Check your radiator for scale. If you find any, replace it AND the water pump. Flush the engine until the water runs CLEAR - preferably for SEVERAL minutes.

Flush the engine with some CRC engine boil before changing the oil - find out if you're leaking oil through any seals. Run hotter wires and plugs when you change those - get more performance out of your engine. Get a hotter coil, too. Replace the starter and the distributor while you're at it. Replacing everything ON the engine, will let you know - quickly - whether you need to replace anything IN the engine.

Mine sat for 6 years (there's a build thread on it around here somewhere.... :think:), and while it wasn't cheap following this very advice, no one EVER regretted preventative maintenance. The issues with mine since have been related to the lift (steering, driveshafts, re-gearing, transmission), and not the engine.

Be careful UN-doing that sunroof. LOVE the one in my Jeep - glad I DON'T have one in the RC. Sunroofs were mostly a "miss & miss" proposition back in those days. If it ain't broke, DON'T encourage it!

Switch to manual hubs - no RC owner ever regretted it. Consider deleting the CAD and locking the axle. With manual hubs, it'll still freewheel, and you'll pick up at least 1mpg on the highway!

Watch for water leaks into your doors AND your hatch. If your seals are dry-rotted, RTV sealant can help, if you don't want a full on restoration of your doors.

Don't know where you're located, but if you're ever bored - but short on cash - get underneath it, scrape the frame with a wire brush, and Rustoleum it. It's good for the truck, cheap to do, GOOD preventative maintenance, you're 30 years younger than me, so physically it's EASIER to do :eek:, and you won't regret it in the long haul. If you really get bored, take your waste oil, and then PAINT the underside with it. Oil will "eat" dirt & dust, as you'll have ANOTHER layer of protection from the elements. You CAN'T hurt an old Dodge with oil :roflsquared:, and you might just help it!

If you go with true duals, keep your pipe & mufflers SMALL - 2 1/4." A) True duals are hard to snake through the undercarriage on the RC (although with a NP435 tranny, you'll have a little more room), and B) you also don't want to blow all your torque out the exhaust with BIG pipes! The 318 likes smaller pipes (you can STILL go with glasspacks - I did. :naughty: Because of emission inspections here, I ALSO had to add 2 cats - JEGs Hi-po models, though), as it keeps the power in the right RPM band. You'll still sound like a 340 Dodge Demon coming or going, so your manhood will remain intact. :smoke2:

If you're not lifting it, your factory axles (gear ratio) will be fine. With the 4-spd, you're probably at 3.21 anyways. Even with 33's, BECAUSE you have the 4 spd., you should still be OK. I wouldn't go over 35's on the factory axles, and you might want 3.92 or 4.10 gearsets by then. Run the beefiest brakes you can get, regardless! I have drilled/slotted rotors in mine up front.

The 318 runs fine on cheap gas - keep us posted on how it performs, and any mods you add. :waytogo: :welcome: to the club.
Ok great thanks for the advice. I don't know about lifting it but when the 31s get work would like to move up to 33s. For exhaust I was thinking maybe some summit racing headers for sub 200 bucks and then get a good muffler. Should give good sound and stay emissions compliant. Learning to drive stock with this I've went about 30 miles just arround town since I've had it and haven't stalled it yet. It's been pretty forgiving to me so I'm thankful for that lol and will post updates