318 Stalling in Mid-RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
When I accelerate, the truck will stall if I have the gas pedal at a regular spot (anywhere from say, 35 - 65 percent throttle). So, in order for me to keep it from stalling I have to accelerate either extremely slow, to keep the revs down, or I have to put it to the floor to keep the revs high. Also, if I do put it to the floor, the engine will actually cut out/shut off for up to a full second, and then kick back in at a high Rev (because I have the pedal far down). Why is it cutting out?

And, I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, and basically have redone the entire electrical side of things (new distributor, cap, rotor, etc), thinking it may be an electrical related issue. Also, it was recently at a shop, and the mechanic said he had to adjust the idle to as high as it can possibly go, because it would stall while sitting in park.

So, this makes me use way more gas than I should be using, plus it's hard on my brakes because my engine is always revving as if I'm trying to drive forward (because of high idle), and I could throw it into neutral to be easier on my brakes at a red light, but then dropping it back into drive is really hard on the transmission because you are basically revving it up, then dropping it into gear. This issue is really getting me worried about the truck, as it's my daily driver. Any idea what could be causing this mid RPM stall and idle issue?

PS -. I just tried having it in neutral and then slowly revving it up as if I was driving.... the same thing happens, it will start to sputter out unless I back off the gas or give it more)

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks. I will check the vacuum lines and maybe take it to a shop if I can't find a leak. Because I do hear a whistle when I give it gas... so that would make sense if it was a vacuum leak. I'll let you know how it goes, but feel free to suggest things still for now

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can a vacuum leak effect idle, and power as well? Or no

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
need more info what type of carb is it? sounds like it could also possibly be an accelerator pump issue. if the accelerator pump or circuit is not working properly you could have a good size dead spot.