Sudden RPM surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drove from Dayton to Indy on Saturday in 'Ol girl (2007 4.7 2WD 1500) and the RPMs were in the usual 1800-2000 range at 65-70mph, on flat road, until about half way, the RPMs would suddenly jump to 2500-3000 and then back down. The tranny felt like it was hunting for the correct gears. It did that until I was about 30 miles out of Indy and then it went back to normal. On the way home, same thing happened again, and then a CEL threw. I thought "well...it is a 17 year old transmission, maybe it's fizzing out" but then I noticed that if I took my foot off of the gas, the RPMS would still jump. So I'm thinking "electrical problem" and pulled the codes. Changed out the TPS, did the throttle body reset procedure, and the CEL went away. Going to keep an eye on it for the next few weeks. I didn't pull and clean the IAC because my hands were frozen, but I'll go back and do that this weekend.
Sadly, the OEM TPS, part# 5017479AA, is extinct...all listings were "discontinued" or "out of stock"...because it's 17 years old now. Summit Racing has it listed as special order but I wanted to fix quickly so I got the Duralast version from Autozone.
RAM TPS.jpg

Ram TPS codes.jpg