Battery Over Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnajera01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 LA
The other day driving home from work I realized that my battery was over charging, it was emitting that nasty sulfur like smell. When I got home I put my multi meter to the battery and it was reading 17.1v. I exchanged the battery with the auto parts store and bought a new Voltage Regulator plug. Once installed it is still over charging. I had previously had an under charging problem and already replaced the Alt, Voltage Regulator, Battery, re wired the alt to the V/R, wired a few new grounds and checked the current ones. Anyone have any ideas that'll lead to a fix.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you made sure the alternator has a good ground? have you also tried making a jumper between the alternator output and the positive field wire? that way you know the voltage regulator is seeing what is going on.

OP
OP
pnajera01

pnajera01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 LA
The alternator has two grounds that are coming off of it, both going to good ground points. One is the original going to the block and the other is just a 12g wire going to the fire wall where the V/R screws into. What do you mean by a jumper? When I disconnect the plug going to the Voltage Regulator the battery receives no charge, but when its plugged in it over charges at 18v. Going to try getting a new regulator and hopefully that will fix it. This will be my third regulator.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
put a jumper between the battery positive terminal and the positive wire that feeds the field wire and the voltage regulator that is normally powered by the ASD relay. it should cause the voltage output of the alternator to drop.
altwiring.gif

OP
OP
pnajera01

pnajera01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 LA
I put a jumper wire between the + field and the + battery post and all it did was make a weird buzzing and when I cranked it no change it voltage but it did cause the V/R to completely fail. The battery was then not charging at all. I drove the truck to the auto parts store and got a new V/R, that seemed to fix the problem for now. I don't know if these regulators are just a high fail item or something is causing them to fail. At least she runs for now!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if it made funny noises then you might have connected power to the wrong field wire. if you connected it to the right one it wouldn't have done anything other than letting the voltage regulator see exactly what the alternator is putting out. i know i even got a jumper wire like this setup on my 93 for when i am boosting people. voltage drops but output become more consistent.

i guess as long as it is working now that is what really matters.